•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Miyauchi BR 141 mm Galaxy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2004 - 02:18 PM

I gave Kevin B at Oberwerk a call today about this pair. Read about their arrival in the USA from Barry Simon's post in another thread. Even though the price is over $12K I always thought the Miyauchi 141 Galaxy offers a more attractive package than the Fuji 25X150 with staight thru fixed eps. Consider these:

The Miyauchii 141 comes with 5 element folurite objective, elevator tripod, fork mount and 7X50 correct image finder. Weight of the binocuar is 28 lbs and the tripod/fork is 26 lbs. Length of the binocular is just under 20 in. Comes with 25X 45 deg EPs. 33X and 45X optional.($299/pair)

I am aware of two people who have the Fuji 25X150mm with non-ED objective and fixed 25X EPs on the UA Sirius ParallO mount and Losmandy G11 tripod. I believe the entire package with counter weights approach 150 lbs.

I have a 6inF8 AP refractor on a Giro-2 DX alt az mount. Total weight is just under 100 lb with tripod and counter weight. I can carry the whole package and walk accross the room but I must break down the scope into three pieces if I want to set-up outside. My typical weekday observing session is alway under an hour. It doesn't make much sense to spend 10-15 minutes to set up and break down the scope for 30-minute session. I used the scope just once in the last 6 month.

I think I would use the 54 lb of the Miyauchi 141mm a lot more often than I would a 150 lb Fuji/UA Sirius mount combo.

Erik D

PS. Kevin B measured the height of the Miyauchi tripod while I was on the phone. He reports the tripod height is 40 in(At the base of the Fork) with the elevator down and 53 in fully extended. It'll be better to be seated when viewing zenith.

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:24 PM

Erik my friend,

Thanks for sharing this little research of yours.

Yes $12K is a considerable sum to consider spending on a binocular , but I would advise you to buy at least TWO pair , to avoid the inevitable squabbling that would surely arise from just having the one pair around with a family wishing to share the pleasures of the views.

THREE pair would probably be better , just in case one pair ever needs to go in for service or collimation etc.

In fact a FOURTH pair could be shipped over to ME as a FREE gift for providing this invaluable advice :-)

Regards --and hope all is well with you and yours -- Kenny.

#3 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:04 PM

Heck, I'm just waiting for some china born knock offs to come out, heck I'd even be happy with fixed power in the 120mm / 150mm range. I'm seriously considering some Russian 30x180's for down at the observatory though. Even those cost a pretty penny too. :-)

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:39 PM

Oh man....I'd like to see those 30x180 binos you speak of...

#5 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 04 June 2004 - 09:20 AM

I hope to have them down there by next year. All are welcome at observing sessions there.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 June 2004 - 09:52 AM

Where abouts are you located? Also, when you get them, a nice photograph would be appreciated.

#7 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:07 AM

Where abouts are you located? Also, when you get them, a nice photograph would be appreciated.

The Bluewater Observatory is between Grants and Gallup in the Zuni Mtns of New Mexico. Like I said, I think it will have to wait for next year, but I want em before I permanently relocate to the observatory.

Got a pretty big project going for automating to rotating round top this summer. Not a dome but close to it.

#8 asaint

asaint

Vanguard

Posted 04 June 2004 - 12:40 PM

Hey Erik,

I used a Pair of the 141s for 6 weeks. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about them.

Allister

#9 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2004 - 01:45 PM

Allister,

That's great. I have quite a few, I'll start with:

1. Was the Miyauchi 141s you used mounted the same way as the photo shown on the Oberwerk web site? ie, fork mount on tripod with elevating center column? How would you rate the ease of use? 1-10.

2. What power EPs did you use? I know you had some experience with David N's Fuji 25X150 a few years back, how did the Miyauchi 141s compare to Fujis optically? Miyauchi 141s are said to be APOs. did you notice spikes on 1st mag stars? Edge performance?

3. Any special likes and dislikes? What changes would you like to see if you are getting a pair today? (other than lower price)

4. The Vixen 25-75X 125s can be had for under $4,000 with fork mount and tripod. Is 16mm larger objective of the Miyauchi worth 3X the price or are we comparing APOs with achromates?

5. If $$$$ is not an issue would you go for the Miyauchii 141s or the Fuji 150s?

Look forward to your input.

Erik D

PS. With 141mm objectives I wish EPs higher than 45X are available.

#10 asaint

asaint

Vanguard

Posted 04 June 2004 - 02:46 PM

Erik,

The Miyuachi 141s came on the fork mount that is in the picture on Oberwerks site. I found the fork mount with elevating center column to be a brillent execution. The elevating wheel was very smooth and allowed you to easily move the binos up and down. What this means is you don't have to move your seat up and down to adjust to what you are pointing at (zenith to horizon). A great idea and implementation.

I had the 3 sets of EPs but found myself using the 33x eyepieces about 80% of the time. The 45x eyepieces are very tight on eye relief. The 25x eyepieces had to big an exit pupil for my back yard.

Bad news first - these are f/4.4s. No refractor on the face of the planet is an APO at f/4.4. Just too darn fast. This means you have secondary color on bright objects. Edge performance was not so hot either - if memory serves 75% of the FOV was corrected, outer 25% not.

Good News - the highest contrast binos I have ever used. Background was sheer black. A real 3d thrill ride for casual observing. Lunar observing was heart stopping - felt like I could reach out and touch the mountains. Neighbors still comment on the views of the moon they had through these.

Comparing the Fujis to the Miyauchis is really comparing apples and oranges. The beauty and selling point for the Miyauchis are their extremely compact size. The 141's are 4" longer then the Miyauchi 100s. This makes the 141's very portable - hence their fast focal length.

The Fujis are huge and do not give you 45-degree viewing.

Hey - if someone gave me either pair I wouldn't complain.

The Vixens are a whole different animal then either the Miyauchi or Fujis. Optically, the Vixens are no where near as contrasty and suffer from edge performance issues of their own.

Personally I would love to own the 141 Miyauchis, even with the drawbacks outlined above. As for changes, I would like to see Miyauchi strech the focal length out a bit for better secondary color correction. Something like an f/5 would help immensely.

Allister

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 June 2004 - 03:11 PM

Are you saying a US shop has one in stock, for sale? My understanding is that production stopped a couple of months ago, so this may be your last chance to get a pair. It was a unique product so I'm sure it would hold its value very well.

#12 asaint

asaint

Vanguard

Posted 04 June 2004 - 03:35 PM

Hey guys,

Back when I was playing with the 141s I was informed that only 3 pair have ever made it into this country.

One question to ask is who will do the collimation work if (when really) they get bumped out of alignment. 5-element objective is no walk in the park to get properly collimated.

Allister

#13 edcannon

edcannon

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:51 PM

This page has a couple of photos of what I presume is the same model:

http://www.astrostuf...ars_30x180A.htm

It would be a real kick to observe with this model!

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 05 June 2004 - 09:53 AM

Wow those are big. "Set up weight only 63Lbs"...oh is that it? Just 63 lbs. :lol:

#15 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 05 June 2004 - 04:26 PM

This page has a couple of photos of what I presume is the same model:

http://www.astrostuf...ars_30x180A.htm

It would be a real kick to observe with this model!

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA

Oh my gawd! Bet you could start a fire with the lunar view thru those babies. :bigshock:

#16 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 07 June 2004 - 02:57 PM

Those would be them... I have got to get a hold of a pair of those for my observatory. (heck I am retire'n there before to long, the more cool toys the better!!)

I would just build my own mount for them. heck, I'd consider even building another observatory building for em, but probably would just have a dedicated outdoor alt/azi pier thingy for them and just bring the binos in when not in use.

#17 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:01 PM

And back to the thread at hand, got any links to the 141mm binos??? I'd love to see a picture of them.

#18 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:28 PM

Go to the Oberwerk website <bigbinoculars.com> and look for binoculars larger than 100mm. You can also find a link in the Latest News and Events section.

Great looking binos. I like the fact the Miyauchi 141 OTAs are 20in long vs. ~3 ft for the Fuji 25X150.

Erik D

#19 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:00 PM

Took me a while to figure out you meant Bigbinoculars.com and not Oberwerk.com.....

They do look SSsaaawwweeeeetttt though!!!!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics