•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Konus 90 update

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:40 AM

For anyone interested, my Motormax 90 is still functioning well. I'm still impressed with the optics and all who have used it comment on it's razor sharp images. On the down side, the mount could be better with appreciable amount of backlash. I'm sure cleaning out the super glue they use for grease would at least make it smoother. Also, the included moon filter works great, don't know how I did without one all these years. I still feel like I'm getting my $200 worth from it.

#2 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:26 AM

TC

Did you upgrade the finder..??

#3 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2004 - 11:43 AM

Not yet, I'm still struggling with the crappy one that came with it....the weather here in NE isn't motivating me too much either. I wonder how Chaz is making out with his 6" Konus Mak? With a better mount, my 90 would be a whole lot more fun. I think an Orion red dot would fit right in the dovetail slot where the existing finder resides. The flip mirror system is a real novelty also. Nice to be able to have different magnification at the flip of a lever. So far it works as advertised.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 June 2004 - 12:47 PM

I Still might get one, I haven't purchased anything yet, I still using a 60mm Bushnell refractor,

Jay

#5 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2004 - 01:14 PM

ey justlooking, I think it's worth the $208 I paid for it. You do get the motor and moon filter which is pretty good. Call Scott at Antlers Optics, I think you can talk him down to the $208 even though he lists for $229. I love the optical quality. From what I have been told, the mount/tripod is basically the same as the Starmax 90. Trash the finder, regrease the gears and it's a decent grab n go with a tracking motor. I leave the tripod legs extended and just carry it in and out of the house. My kids love this thing.

#6 Aquarianperry

Aquarianperry

Ranger 4

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:21 AM

Hey Topcat,

Glad to hear your konus is still doing well. So far on the Starmax 90 that I got I've found the Scopetronix red dot and stock finder combo to be a great match for finding things, What I usually do is point the red dot into the part of they sky I want to check out then I use the 6x20 stock finder to get down to exact location - works like a charm but is terrible on the neck. Right now I'm looking at buying a 6x30 RA finder to replace the stock finder but will still keep the red dot since the combo finderscopes work so well together. Since our scopes are about the same size you shouldn't have any problems doing the same, I just put the red dot right next to and a little ahead of the stock finder which leaves room for me to slide back the dewshield I keep on the scope while stowed away.

Have you decided what your big scope will be? Right now overtime at work is god and I've got a few extra projects I'm wokring on so I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Orion XT10 Intelliscope before the end of June, until then I've been hunting down messier bjects with the 90mm Mak - While the aperture doesn't give you that "wow" factor for DSO's you will find a lot of the Messiers and will get you ready for your big scope purchase :D.

#7 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for the finder info Aquarian, I'll check it out. Weather has been horrifying here, not many good nights (That I had free) to get outside. I've been looking at the XT10 also. Seems to be a best bang for the $. You can get one almost for the price of an ETX 90! The Maks do a great job on the moon though don't they. Did you get a moon filter? I can't believe what a difference they make. Glad to hear your enjoying the Starmax.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:02 AM

I've been checking and no one has this scope in stock :( :( :(

#9 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:21 PM

I've been checking and no one has this scope in stock :( :( :(

Check out .....

http://www.digitecop.../tele-konus.htm

#10 Aquarianperry

Aquarianperry

Ranger 4

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:38 PM

Check out the Clearance section on Telescope.com, they now have "2nd" Starmax 90mm sets for $220US.

#11 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2004 - 03:00 PM

I'd jump on that deal if you really want the 90 Mak justlooking. Get a moon filter while your at it, well worth it I think. While my Konus has been fine, most people don't seem to have any issues with the Starmax scopes. That clearance section at Orion can be hazardous to your credit card!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics