•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Double "Doubler" Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2004 - 05:36 PM

No guys -- this is not a question about the famous "double -double" star.

About two years ago , when I was considering purchasing a Swarovski 15 x 56 bino complete with 2x "doubler" for occasional "30 x 56mm spotting use" I asked a Swarovski rep if it would be possible to use TWO of these together as an occasional "30 x 56mm binocular".

I was quite emphatically informed that this was impossible , but what never given the explanation as to why.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum could enlighten me by explaining why this is not possible.

Hopefully -- Kenny.

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 05 June 2004 - 05:37 AM

Kenny, this is a question that I hope will be answered by someone on the forum, I have the 8.5x EL and I have a booster.

It would be great to have a 17x binocular if the addition of another booster worked.

Clive Jones

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 June 2004 - 08:54 PM

I believe, Kenny, Swarovski makes only one of the ep barrels doubler-adaptable, but why THIS should be the case, I know not, unless the concern is competition with their spotting scope sales.

#4 craig_oz_land

craig_oz_land

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:37 PM

Kenny,

The local Swarovski dealer in Sydney tells me that the double can be screwed into either side. The eyecup needs to be unscrewed first and the doubler then screws into the same thread used by the eyecup.

So I gather this would mean that two could be fitted.

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:38 PM

Kenny: They cost a packet, but then again, maybe you have a supply of cheap doublers? "Psst, fancy a nice doubler or two sir? Fresh in from Europe, if you know what I mean sir."

Surely it would be cheaper to buy a 15x56 binocular AND a 25x80 binocular and the images would be better?

#6 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• topic starter

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:15 PM

Micky,

Relative price / quality of image is irrelevant to my question really , even though , now you mention it ,
I seriously doubt that any Steiner binocular would provide a "better" image than any Swarovski binocular.

I say that from personal experiences with products from both manufacturers.

Now if Swarovski / Leica / Nikon / Zeiss / Fujinon made a 25 x 80 binocular , I would probably be quite happy to own ANY of them.

I am simply curious as to whether or not a Swarovski booster COULD be used on BOTH eyepieces , and if not why not.

And if so , why the Swarovski rep. I spoke to told me it could NOT.

It's as simple as that really.

Thanks for your concern and ( very sensible ) suggestion.

Regards , Kenny.

#7 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:39 PM

It might be because with the added magnification alignment may be an issue. But that is the only reason I can think of.

#8 craig_oz_land

craig_oz_land

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:34 PM

.........snip........

I am simply curious as to whether or not a Swarovski booster COULD be used on BOTH eyepieces , and if not why not.

Kenny, think I answered that one.

And if so , why the Swarovski rep. I spoke to told me it could NOT.

Think that may be a bit harder to answer.

Maybe because he thought you could only screw it into one eyepiece at a time. :question:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics