•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How much is my gear worth? (UK) ZWO ASI1600MM-Pro, filters, SpaceCat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jon2070

Jon2070

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2023 - 07:07 AM

I've been thinking about selling my gear for a while, bought in 2018 and 2019, but I'm not sure how much it is worth as there is very little pre-owned stuff around to compare against.

It's been packed away since the end of 2019, the ZWO gear has done about 90 hours of imaging, the SpaceCat has done some test shots of M42 and that's it.

What has spurred me on to do something is someone that I know locally is interested in the ZWO camera, filter wheel and filters.

I'll list what I have below and prices from eBay;

ZWO ASI 1600MM-Pro - £840

ZWO EFW 7 slot 36mm unmounted - £250 - 270

ZWO LRGB 36mm unmounted - £150 (on the Blue filter and possibly the Green there are small chips on the outer edge, I haven't noticed any detrimental effect on the data/images)

ZWO SHO 36mm unmounted 2nd Gen - no prices, £508 new

William Optics SpaceCat - none on eBay, a few RedCats for £550 - £690

DeepSkyDad EAF focuser for SpaceCat - ???

Also various accessories.

I'm in two minds whether to sell or not, the reasons that I stopped imaging are complicated, a mixture of life/young kids that aren't the best sleepers/time/location/work and I now have 1.5Tb of data from Telescope Live, a lot of which are targets with a similar FoV to the ASI1600/SpaceCat combination. I'm not desperate for the cash, it would be nice especially at the moment, but I'm not keen on taking a big loss either.

#2 PeteConrad

PeteConrad

Explorer 1

Posted 24 January 2023 - 09:15 AM

look at prices for your kit on the classifieds here. 

• Jon2070 likes this

#3 James Peirce

James Peirce

Viking 1

• Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

Posted 24 January 2023 - 09:44 AM

Yep… I’d do as Pete noted. I seem to recall there is also a local classifieds that is pertinent to the UK market, which maybe someone can elaborate on.

Some of those prices seem a bit high and some seem a bit low. A lot of what you get is going to be tied up in your priorities. Do you want to set a more aggressive price point and put more time and energy into finding buyers, or cut prices and bundle in an effort to move the collection faster?

Some things in the market seem a bit curious. ZWO filters do not hold value well. They aren’t high quality and it seems as though people are more likely to buy them new, while learning, than used, knowing more about their goals. They go for quite a bit less than MSRP in used markets. The SpaceCat doesn’t seem to be worth much more than the RedCat. Probably because of the age (a couple revisions to the RedCat 51) and general concern for buying used optics. On the other hand, the do hold value rather well as a popular telescope. With the EAF accessory (and especially with the EAF) it should certainly go for more. The 12V EAF seems to be appreciated for around $200 USD (prices I know) even today. That price may be high for the 1600. It usually takes a signifiant cut due to its age (as a design), even though it is still available at a relatively high MSRP. But you can always start on the slightly higher side if you feel patient.

Edit: Selling on eBay is challenged. It seems like much of the interest in the market is on the classifieds market, but maybe that is quite different in the UK depending on what options are available. And take note that, between eBay and PayPal, a juicy bite will be taken from sales prices. The **** at eBay even take a seller fee on costs directed to taxes (maybe not in the UK, where there may be some vestiges of EU regulatory teeth).

Edited by James Peirce, 24 January 2023 - 09:46 AM.

• Jon2070 and PeteConrad like this

#4 Jon2070

Jon2070

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2023 - 06:05 AM

Thank you both

• PeteConrad likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics