•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to stack different Stacks into one final stack?

Software Refractor Reflector Dob
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NateTheBeginner

NateTheBeginner

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2023 - 09:04 PM

Hello! 

Apologies for the absolute mouthful the title is, but it is the best way I can describe this issue. 

Me and 7 other astrophotographers recently created a Collaboration group together, already totaling 100 Hours of integration on M45 and it is so far going smoothly.

We have come across one problem though: how can we stack our stacks together properly? Our Focal Ranges goes from 250fl all the way to 1200 ( From Redcats to Esprits to Dobsonians ), and some cameras are OSC while others are Mono (183MC,585MC, 294MM, 2600MM and more) with different sensor formats and resolution.

After a botched attempt, a large artifact appeared while trying to combine two images in WBPP.

I tried to search on the internet, but couldn't find much info about what stacking software to use, how to avoid artifacts etc. If anyone has done this before or knows what to do, help would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks, Nathan

Attached Thumbnails

• artifact.png

Edited by NateTheBeginner, 24 January 2023 - 10:09 PM.

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 24 January 2023 - 10:21 PM

Try AstroPixel Processor. Sort your images and their calibration frames and it does a great job of matching different sessions.

• NateTheBeginner likes this

#3 NateTheBeginner

NateTheBeginner

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2023 - 10:57 PM

Try AstroPixel Processor. Sort your images and their calibration frames and it does a great job of matching different sessions.

Hey Dynan, thanks for responding. Though I agree that APP could fix this issue, is there no possible way to do this on Pixinsight instead? I would like avoiding paying $165 for this specific purpose.

Edited by NateTheBeginner, 24 January 2023 - 10:58 PM.

#4 DeepSky Di

DeepSky Di

Vanguard

• -----
  • Moderators

Posted 24 January 2023 - 11:29 PM

Hey Dynan, thanks for responding. Though I agree that APP could fix this issue, is there no possible way to do this on Pixinsight instead? I would like avoiding paying $165 for this specific purpose.

Both APP and PI have free trials, and you can also purchase a one year license for APP for 60 Euros. Here's a video about using both together https://youtu.be/G1qlMYh7bfY from View Into Space. Many who started out with it continue to use it for stacking and then move to PI for post processing. I have used both but as a new PI user I'm more familiar with APP's stacking and its capabilities for multi session and mosaics.

• Dynan and NateTheBeginner like this

#5 nwcs

nwcs

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 25 January 2023 - 08:45 AM

With PI you might try processing each stack independently and use the mosaic scripts to create the joins between the different datasets. Something along the lines of https://youtu.be/HnVAg2-SB1M
  • NateTheBeginner likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Software, Refractor, Reflector, Dob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics