•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Riccardi M63 reducer for TEC140

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fmazzanti

fmazzanti

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2023 - 02:43 AM

Hi,

I'm the owner of an old TEC140ED which I couple to my IMX571 based CMOS camera, delivering a 0.79arcsec/pixel resolution. For my conditions, I feel like this is a bit too high, so I was looking for something that brings it down to a more comfortable 1 arcsec/pixel, so I'm out for a FR. I've seen some people use the Riccardi FR, with a reducing factor of 0.75, which seems to be perfect the perfect fit.

But I've also read here at CN that there may have internal reflections that are visible as ugly artifacts in broadband images...
So I was wondering what is the current status for that? I was thinking about getting the m63 version, which is the one available here.

So what do you think? Is it worth it, or will I find more problems than solutions?

Beat regards and thanks,

Ferran

#2 R Botero

R Botero

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 25 January 2023 - 03:31 AM

Ferran

I’m not sure the M63 will work but the M82 for sure. The reflections have been solved, see here: https://www.cloudyni...nd-reflections/

I was testing an M82 with IMX461 recently and it almost worked. The medium format sensor is too big for the M82 but the 571 should fit inside the image circle fine.
PM for details if you want.

Roberto

#3 fmazzanti

fmazzanti

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2023 - 04:05 AM

Hi Roberto,
yes saw that thread but, if I'm not wrong, the solution is to disassemble the reducer and make 3D prints of an internal baffle system? If so, ai don't feel like buying it and right away kill the warranty...
I'm more interested in knowing if that works out of the box :)
Thanks again,
Ferran.

#4 R Botero

R Botero

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 25 January 2023 - 06:11 AM

In terms of correcting the FOV for that size of sensor, I think the M82 version will work. APM may be able to confirm but my tests with a much larger sensor were promising. They may also sell you a new unit guaranteeing no reflections. Speak to them.
Good luck!

#5 fmazzanti

fmazzanti

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2023 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for the info, Roberto :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics