•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY600 Mode/Gain/Exposure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 midnightlightning

midnightlightning

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2023 - 07:19 AM

I have been using this camera for a while now for NB and BB and captured some great data but am now going back to look at how I am using it and am confused.

For Broadband I use Mode 0, Gain 26 , Offset 15

For Narrowband I use Mode 1, Gain 56, Offset 15. 

We are in Bortle 4 and my scope is F6.7 135mm Refractor.

Reading various posts it seems there is a consensus for using Mode1/G56 for narrowband but not so straight forward for broadband and this is where I am struggling to understand. 

My LRGB exposures are generally 4 to 5 mins but I have gone to 10 mins - the issue I get is even at 4 minutes bright stars are becoming oversaturated.  

Can anyone suggest the best mode/gain/exp for me to use for LRGB under the above circumstances - I prefer exposures of 4 or 5 minutes due to the amount of data collected (119MB per sub) and also the lengthy download time c. 8s.

Star colour is very important to me, am I better off shooting RGB stars separately with maybe 15s or 30s exp and then substituting these in the main data?  

#2 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Soyuz

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 25 January 2023 - 01:41 PM

My LRGB setting with the QHY600M-PH Mode-3 (ExtendedFullWell_2_CMS) Gain_0 Offset_30

My NB settings Mode-1 (HighGainMode) Gain_56 Offset_100

LRGB - 5 Minutes subs.

Steve

Edited by SeymoreStars, 25 January 2023 - 01:43 PM.

• midnightlightning likes this

#3 Birddogoby

Birddogoby

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Poulsbo, WA

Posted 25 January 2023 - 09:23 PM

Seems we all use different settings.  I keep mine at Readout Mode #0 (Photographic Mode) with Gain 27/Offset 10 for all exposures.  Five minute for NB and 120 sec for LRGB.  I sometimes decrease my exposures with the Lum filter to like 60sec if I run into over saturated stars.  I like the higher dynamic range and full well capacity at 27/10 and really haven't found the extended gain of 56 with its lower noise/less dynamic range/less full well capacity advantageous since the camera has such incredibly low read noise anyway.  Combine that fact with today's amazing noise reduction tools like NXT and I haven't found it necessary to jack the gain up.  But, I'm always open to other owner's recommendations and experience so I'm all ears.  I'd change my tune if there's a better set of gain/offset from what I'm using.

Paul

• midnightlightning likes this

#4 EspacioProfundo

EspacioProfundo

Vendor-Espacio Profundo

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 26 January 2023 - 09:09 AM

My LRGB setting with the QHY600M-PH Mode-3 (ExtendedFullWell_2_CMS) Gain_0 Offset_30

My NB settings Mode-1 (HighGainMode) Gain_56 Offset_100

LRGB - 5 Minutes subs.

Steve

+1

#5 Birddogoby

Birddogoby

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Poulsbo, WA

Posted 26 January 2023 - 06:19 PM

I see a couple of you are using Mode-3 for LRGB.  I'd love to know why.  I'm not questioning at all, just trying to learn other imaging possibilities with this camera since I've only been using the 27/10 settings.  Thx.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics