•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PI CometAlignement: any feedback?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AldoZan

AldoZan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Modena, Italy, Old Europe

Posted 25 January 2023 - 03:44 PM

Has anybody already experienced the new PI CometAlignment process? (here the announcement by Pleiades: https://pixinsight.c...released.20147/ )

I have 80 C2022 E3 ZTF frames, 20 each LRGB taken with ASI1600MM Pro
I was able to integrate them using "old, standard" process.

Now I am experimenting the new Comet Alignement process.
1) I used dark, flat, darkflat calibrated frames
2) all frames were registered together, regardless their filter
3) I added all frames to CA and got aligned frames _ca. I did not use any Subtract Operand
Up to here everything worked right.

Now I try to get "Stars only" frames using the Subtract Operand. Very likely here I am wrong, and need your advice.
In order to get "Stars Only" I generate frame integration of all the _ca, then I run CometAlignement WITH Subtract Operand "Comet Aligned" and the integrated image as operand image. I expect to get stars only frames with no comet, but this is what I get:

Star_integration.jpg

Comet is somehow still there, and the rainbow is well present on large stars.
I left Reject Low and High with standard values as well as Clamping Threshold.

Should I adjust any of these, and how?

Once I will get a "stars only" true image I plan to use it as Subtract Operand to get clear "comet only" image. Is this correct?

Thank you

• jdj likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics