•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Flip-Flat question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ParagPA

ParagPA

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2023 - 04:20 PM

Hello,

I've just attached a flip-flat to a new Tak FSQ-85EDX. The flip-flat has a spacer to allow it to work with 4" refractors instead of the larger ones supported by the larger panel size. When mounted, it's very close to the edge of the light panel, as below. 

My question - is the panel illumination consistent enough across the entire field that this won't matter? I'll definitely give it a try - but it could be hard to disambiguate between illumination changes and vignetting along the edges.

Thanks!

FlipFlat.jpg

#2 Andrey Kobelev

Andrey Kobelev

Viking 1

Posted 25 January 2023 - 04:46 PM

I am using one over few years with my 6''. My impression - it very is consistent. No issues at all.

• ParagPA likes this

#3 daveco2

daveco2

Viking 1

• Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 25 January 2023 - 06:13 PM

I use a similar sized panel.  I rotate the scope so it points straight up, then prop up the panel so it's centered on the scope.  I also use a white T-shirt stretched over the scope so as to further uniformize the panel light.  You could try that to verify the close-edge illumination approach.

• ParagPA likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics