•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASiair mini smelling burnt - Current overload-Help!

Accessories Astrophotography Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bernarl

Bernarl

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2023 - 05:53 PM

I just bought an ASiair mini. While testing indoors, using a 12V 3A power brick, everething was fine up until after i disconected all the equipament from the ASiair and the current went to 7.5 A and the Total power to more than 90 W!. It started smelling burnt and i turned off. I tried to update the firmware and software trought 5V but it would still smell pretty bad. I tried a couple of time to connect again to the power brick but without success, always showing this ridiculous values. I checked the power supply with a multimeter and i was normal. What could be done about this?

4dcd5db7-1d10-4e7b-9933-cc783446b561.jpg

#2 doole

doole

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg (that other outback)

Posted 25 January 2023 - 11:17 PM

I might send it back. I had some weird power issues with my original Asiair. -chris

• Bernarl likes this

#3 doole

doole

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 January 2023 - 10:41 AM

...in fact, I had so many weird issues - and noticed so many others with weird issues - that I stopped using it altogether. And I haven't missed it in the slightest. Too freaking many weird issues. -chris

Edited by doole, 26 January 2023 - 10:42 AM.

• Bernarl likes this

#4 astrokeith

astrokeith

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 26 January 2023 - 10:49 AM

The power connectors are often the weakest link in this products. PCB mounted types.

If one had gone short circuit when you pulled the plugs, then I could imagine 7.5 A being drawn.

A bent pin, bit of swarf, solder flash.

If its under warranty, send it back, if not open it up - the short will be visible!

• Bernarl likes this

#5 Bernarl

Bernarl

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2023 - 05:35 PM

Thank you for your replies. it was in fact a short, I opened and it was melted. Now i'll try to send it back, if thats not possible i may send to some phone repair shop and see what can be done.

Thanks again!

Edited by Bernarl, 26 January 2023 - 05:36 PM.

• James Peirce likes this

#6 doole

doole

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 January 2023 - 05:59 PM

I forgot to mention - the last weird issue I had was that the foul thing kept blowing fuses. I had already become annoyed because it didn't support one of its own cameras. (ZWO) Sorry for venting but I thought the truth might be useful. I sort of hope you send it back and run like that short is in your underwear...

• Bernarl likes this

#7 James Peirce

James Peirce

Viking 1

• Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

Posted 26 January 2023 - 06:05 PM

I forgot to mention - the last weird issue I had was that the foul thing kept blowing fuses. I had already become annoyed because it didn't support one of its own cameras. (ZWO) Sorry for venting but I thought the truth might be useful. I sort of hope you send it back and run like that short is in your underwear...

As someone who enjoys using the AAP myself, I keep an eye on their support boards. The issues you described across those posts do not seem to be widespread. And a lot of the power issues people encounter are frequently (but not always) tied to power supply issues. Sometimes electronics just take a dump or arrive with issues.

The AAP, for a long time, simply employed a Raspberry Pi with a custom DC board. Pretty well-proven and rather good quality electronic device, that.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Astrophotography, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics