•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dust cover

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FredWagner

FredWagner

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2023 - 06:15 PM

Is it necessary to put a dust cover on the primary sell end of a 8” Dobsonian? I saw ones by Astrozap. I also brought my telescope inside out of the garage because with starting the car I was concerned about extra dirt and dust blowing off the garage floor. I will just have to take it outside an hour or two early for clear nights.

#2 Oddyse

Oddyse

Mariner 2

Posted 25 January 2023 - 06:34 PM

I throw a towel over mine. Regards

#3 FredWagner

FredWagner

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2023 - 07:01 PM

I throw a towel over mine. Regards

how do you hold it in place? Being that it’s the bottom of the scope.

#4 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 25 January 2023 - 07:04 PM

You don't have to keep the mirrors covered but it doesn't take very much to keep them protected, and the mirrors on our telescopes are fairly expensive. I made a cover for mine out of 3 mil black plastic and heavy packing tape. It has small openings in the top and bottom that allow humidity to escape. I keep a 40W incandescent lamp on inside the cover and the humidity stays below 30% all the time.

Keeping your mirrors clean and dry preserves the coatings.

#5 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Soyuz

• Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 25 January 2023 - 07:40 PM

Two shower caps should do it. Cheap and easy! You can't say that very often in this hobby borg.gif

• FredWagner likes this

#6 FredWagner

FredWagner

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2023 - 08:46 PM

I just cut the legs off a pair of cotton boxers and sewed the opening up to make a cover. I also tightened up the waist band. Lol

Two shower caps should do it. Cheap and easy! You can't say that very often in this hobby borg.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 00CD8940-4AD7-49E7-9E1D-8B3674306B99.jpeg

• betacygni and briansalomon1 like this

#7 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Soyuz

• Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 26 January 2023 - 12:18 AM

Fred...I like your solution much better!!rofl2.gif

• FredWagner likes this

#8 betacygni

betacygni

Apollo

Posted 26 January 2023 - 01:51 AM

Is it necessary to put a dust cover on the primary sell end of a 8” Dobsonian? I saw ones by Astrozap. I also brought my telescope inside out of the garage because with starting the car I was concerned about extra dirt and dust blowing off the garage floor. I will just have to take it outside an hour or two early for clear nights.

It’s typically a good idea. Not much dust floats up from the bottom, but the bigger concern is keeping out random spiders and such. They can leave “deposits” in addition to webs.

Edited by betacygni, 26 January 2023 - 01:52 AM.

• FredWagner likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics