•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HELP -- ASI585 or ASI183 or ASI533

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 CTerry

CTerry

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: vancouver, wa

Posted 25 January 2023 - 06:16 PM

Which one and why? budget is max $600. and id rather not go used unless someone has a wicked good offer.

Im looking to upgrade from my asi290mc and turn it into a guide camera and would like to venture into minor DSO stuff as well as still be able to record planetary bodies and lunar.  Ive been looking into these cameras mainly because they are familiar to use and they offer a larger FOV.  specs wise i think the 585 is the most versatile, but i really like the large fov on the 183 just not the small well and read noise.  and the 14bit and large full well of the 533 are nice also.  so im torn... love to hear from people that have experience with the cameras and see what they think or if they have regrets, etc.

thanks

gear im using is pretty standard stuff.

8" meade sct @ f/10 for now. will be getting .63x eventually.

piggybacked orion st80x400 f/5 (nothing special but works nice)

and 50x240 svbony guide scope will hold the 290 for guiding

sitting on top orion sirius eq mount and tracking nicely 

Attached Thumbnails

• zwo_camera_summary_table 1.jpg

#2 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 25 January 2023 - 06:34 PM

Do you intend to do EAA with the camera, or are you looking to do AP? You'll get suggestions here for EAA usage not AP.

#3 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Soyuz

• Loc: Florida

Posted 25 January 2023 - 06:42 PM

You live in a coolish climate, so I'd recommend the uncooled IMX533 color camera, for EAA.  You'll need a decent sized sensor before you get your reducer.  It's within your budget.

The 533 is similar in technology to the 585, but about twice the area at less than twice the price.  The cleanness and convenience is worth it to me over the 183, which also has smaller pixels than I would prefer for a color camera on an 8" SCT.

The uncooled 294MC is what I use, but I'd still recommend the 533.  Using Region Of Interest (ROI) the 533 can be used as a planetary camera too.

The 585 is an excellent 'starter' camera, but I think that you are past that point.

Unless you have a substantial and accurate EQ mount, anything but dabbling in AP is out of the question.

Edited by SchoolMaster, 26 January 2023 - 07:28 AM.

• MunichAtNight and AnotherMoneyPit like this

#4 CTerry

CTerry

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2023 - 07:22 PM

Mainly EAA. Ive been recording planets and the moon for a long while now and just wanted to get into something bigger and more colorful. just expand the hobby a bit. i like the 290mc i have but its fov is just really small.

#5 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Soyuz

Posted 25 January 2023 - 07:46 PM

Mainly EAA. Ive been recording planets and the moon for a long while now and just wanted to get into something bigger and more colorful. just expand the hobby a bit. i like the 290mc i have but its fov is just really small.

I love my mono 290, which is great for galaxies, once you can get the camera on target, which is problematic at f/6.3.  The 585 would be meaningfully bigger.

This is $600 https://player-one-a...-camera-imx533/

This is $400 https://player-one-a...-camera-imx585/

The two sensors are the same width, but the smaller is about 56% smaller in area and has smaller, 290 sized, pixels.

My 290 mono is a PlayerOne and I would buy another of their cameras.  My other cameras are ZWO and just fine too.

Edited by SchoolMaster, 25 January 2023 - 07:47 PM.

#6 YoYoYoMikey

YoYoYoMikey

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Neavitt, MD

Posted 25 January 2023 - 07:49 PM

I'm a fan of the Player One 533 I have used it on all 3 of my scopes and made some nice EAA pics.

• MunichAtNight likes this

#7 cnbilbo

cnbilbo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK 54.5N

Posted 25 January 2023 - 10:04 PM

If you've not done so already, Try the 290mc on your 80mm first. It's not going to give the greatest images in the world, but it will give much faster, more detailed, wider views. and make things much more enjoyable (unless you've got a really bad one). Then try to go back to the SCT. You'll soon realise that f10 is really tough even for EAA. After you've absorbed everything, sit back and think the next step through.

I have both the 183 & 585, both excellent cams, but small pixels better suited to a small faster frac and I hope my new(used) Hyperstar.

Steve

• steveincolo likes this

#8 oneuke

oneuke

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 January 2023 - 10:48 PM

I have the c6 hyperstar and 585.  Worked very well for my first light without any filters, flats or darks. Hoping the weather clears for me to do things properly.

#9 steveincolo

steveincolo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Boulder, Colorado, US

Posted 25 January 2023 - 10:54 PM

If you've not done so already, Try the 290mc on your 80mm first. It's not going to give the greatest images in the world, but it will give much faster, more detailed, wider views. and make things much more enjoyable (unless you've got a really bad one). Then try to go back to the SCT. You'll soon realise that f10 is really tough even for EAA. After you've absorbed everything, sit back and think the next step through.

I have both the 183 & 585, both excellent cams, but small pixels better suited to a small faster frac and I hope my new(used) Hyperstar.

Steve

And the next step I'd recommend would be adding a reducer to the SCT and trying the 290MC again.  Used reducers are commonly available for about $100 in the classifieds here.  

#10 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Soyuz

Posted 27 January 2023 - 04:03 PM

$90 new from our sponsor Astronomics.

https://www.astronom...-flattener.html

• steveincolo and bips3453 like this

#11 steveincolo

steveincolo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Boulder, Colorado, US

Posted 27 January 2023 - 04:17 PM

$90 new from our sponsor Astronomics.

https://www.astronom...-flattener.html

I wonder how that one compares optically with the Celestron.  Probably very similar.

#12 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Soyuz

Posted 27 January 2023 - 04:33 PM

I wonder how that one compares optically with the Celestron.  Probably very similar.

One of my two is that, the other is a Celestron.

• steveincolo likes this

#13 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Trinidad

Posted 27 January 2023 - 10:09 PM

I am a user of the 533MC-Pro for livestacking/EAA. Its really really really good! Wonderful color reproduction and the sensor is really clean.

• steveincolo and SchoolMaster like this

#14 CTerry

CTerry

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 07:19 PM

Thanks a lot for the info everyone. always glad to hear about experiences. 

think im leaning towards a 533mc. seems like all the right features and i knows its been proven to be a great camera. Just need to convince the wife to let me spend $600 on a silly camera. lol  

• steveincolo likes this

#15 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted Today, 12:23 AM

Easy. Spend $1,200. $600 for you and $600 for her.

#16 CTerry

CTerry

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted Today, 12:51 AM

im lucky... i spend $600 on telescope stuff and she spends money on fixing up the house cause she likes it. so win win? lol

• nicknacknock likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics