•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stacking Vs Live Stacking

Astrophotography DSO Imaging Software
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JonHigh

JonHigh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2023 - 06:18 PM

Hi All, I hope someone can help me understand something about my stacking results.

I have used Live Stack in SharpCap and got very pleasing results even straight from opening up the saved FITS file.

When I go to stack the saved RAW files from the session in either DSS or Siril, the results come out differently than from the saved Live stack - especially colours.

I do use Dark Frames and sometimes Flat Frames in the preprocessing dialogue box and I use the same flats but include bias/dark flats so I'm not sure if that's got anything to do with it? Are the stacking programmes more accurate re colour rendering?

For example I recently took M42 which I posted earlier this week directly from a Livestacking in SharpCap. Emissions came out red for example however after doing the same in Siril I got oranges and a whole lot of blues. I have post processed a bit but not a whole lot. 

Appreciated if you can advise. Jon

Attached Thumbnails

• M42_DxO.jpeg
  • Stack_16bits_50frames_503s_DxO.jpeg

Edited by JonHigh, 25 January 2023 - 07:17 PM.

#2 Yoddha

Yoddha

Vendor (APT)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria

Posted 26 January 2023 - 10:56 AM

The raw data from the camera needs to be de-bayered in order to produce a color image. Looks like SharpCap and DSS/Siril use different methods for de-bayering. Also, the end result depends on the color balance applied.

I don't know if there are options in SharpCap to control the de-bayering method... Maybe there is way to get it closer to Siril...

• JonHigh likes this

#3 JonHigh

JonHigh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2023 - 01:48 PM

The raw data from the camera needs to be de-bayered in order to produce a color image. Looks like SharpCap and DSS/Siril use different methods for de-bayering. Also, the end result depends on the color balance applied.

I don't know if there are options in SharpCap to control the de-bayering method... Maybe there is way to get it closer to Siril...

AH HA!
Well done and thank you so much. bow.gif 
I checked the settings in SharpCap and indeed the Bayer Pattern was set to inverted!

• Yoddha likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, DSO, Imaging, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics