•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Just One Light

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Lebanon, NY and Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 25 January 2023 - 06:23 PM

One of the dire facts about light pollution is that darkness is so fragile. All it takes to ruin a dark place is one light.

To take one example from personal experience, one of my favorite spots to observe when I'm living in my city apartment in Cambridge, MA, is a public park called Robbins Farm in Arlington, MA. It's just 7 miles from downtown Boston, so the skyglow is huge, but within its suburban context Robbins Farm is delightfully dark -- usually.

There are perhaps three or four dozen houses fronting the park, and the lights shining out their windows are readily visible, but I don't find them particularly annoying. But there's one house with a bright, unshielded porch light, and when that light is on I can't look in that direction without getting blinded. So I lose a whole sector of sky.

At locations far from population centers the situation is far more dramatic. It takes a fair amount of light to ruin a suburban park that's already bright from skyglow alone. It takes nothing but a bright flashlight to ruin a pristine location.

• George N, rowdy388, TOMDEY and 1 other like this

#2 rowdy388

rowdy388

Aurora

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 25 January 2023 - 07:46 PM

I put my new shed in a location that blocks a neighbor's unshielded porch light from my observation deck. The light is about half a mile away, but you're right that distance makes very little difference. Saves me from having to put up light blocking panels. Trees can block a lot of light, but they block out a lot of sky at the same time. 

#3 treadmarks

treadmarks

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 25 January 2023 - 10:00 PM

Well that is disheartening, and not just because Robbins Farm is a former observing site of mine when I lived in that area. But I think most of us know it to be true - no urban backyard is safe. I recently moved to a new house about 30 miles north of Arlington and quickly learned about my neighbors' poorly set up floodlights.

Personally I have adjusted to the realities of urban astronomy by picking my targets accordingly: planets, Moon, Sun, double stars, planetary nebulae, and certain star clusters. I don't trouble with dark site trips anymore unless I specifically want to see galaxies, nebulae, or the Milky Way. In a way it is liberating because I don't worry about night vision, I just get to it.

I'd say this also points to the importance of club dark site or IDA-sponsored stargazing locations which have some control over lighting. Even then, I've found the nearby club location gets beamed surprisingly often by vehicle headlights.

Edited by treadmarks, 25 January 2023 - 10:00 PM.

• George N likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics