•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unwanted BIOS boot menu on Startup

Software
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 D.T.

D.T.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 05 February 2023 - 01:54 PM

I have a Primalucelab Eagle 4s which uses an Intel NUC.  When I boot it up from Power Off, I am presented with a Boot up menu asking me how I want to boot up my OS.  Since I want to control Eagle 4s via Remote desktop, this will not do because in order to even get into Windows, I need to connect up a monitor through HDMI and keyboard and mouse through USB.  I have tried going back to factory defaults, I have played with BIOS settings and still have this problem.  Any advice?

#2 Nick Dangerr

Nick Dangerr

Mariner 2

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 05 February 2023 - 02:03 PM

I know you said you checked the Bios settings, but you might want to recheck them. When this happens to me, it usually either means my boot up drive is invalid or possibly the drive has minor corruption where the boot information is stored.

Has it always done this or is this new behavior?

Edited by Nick Dangerr, 05 February 2023 - 02:05 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#3 lancing

lancing

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 February 2023 - 02:17 PM

Is it a BIOS menu? Or is it a OS boot menu?

Those are two entirely different things.

A forced BIOS menu is usually caused by either the motherboard coin battery dying and not supply enough power to keep your settings, or is being triggered by a hardware fault.

An OS boot menu is an option you need to turn off at the OS level.

• Skywatchr, psandelle, gzotti and 1 other like this

#4 Nick Dangerr

Nick Dangerr

Mariner 2

Posted 05 February 2023 - 02:32 PM

Have you checked with support at Primalucelab? They may have some helpful ideas.

#5 D.T.

D.T.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2023 - 03:08 PM

I know you said you checked the Bios settings, but you might want to recheck them. When this happens to me, it usually either means my boot up drive is invalid or possibly the drive has minor corruption where the boot information is stored.

Has it always done this or is this new behavior?

This is new behavior since last year.  I didn't see this last year.  I haven't used it since last October, because of bad winter weather and I have been making changes to my setup since then.

• Skywatchr likes this

#6 Nick Dangerr

Nick Dangerr

Mariner 2

Posted 05 February 2023 - 03:17 PM

In the manual, it warns that updating the OS (and windows has had some updates in the last several months) will overwrite the system restore point (which may no longer be valid anyway because it refers to an earlier version of Windows) and reminds you to create a new system restore point. If you didn't create a new system restore point after updating Windows (assuming you installed updates), then when you set it back to factory settings, you may have reset the computer to Windows defaults, not Primelucelab defaults. As lancing suggested this may also be due to a hardware fault.

In any event, I would suggest trying to contact Primelucelab's support - I have no idea how helpful or responsive they are (although they say they usually respond to e-mails within one business day).

Edited by Nick Dangerr, 05 February 2023 - 03:20 PM.

#7 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 06 February 2023 - 10:38 AM

This is new behavior since last year.  I didn't see this last year.  I haven't used it since last October, because of bad winter weather and I have been making changes to my setup since then.

OK, that usually indicates something has gone belly-up and the BIOS cannot find something.  Or the little CMOS battery has gone dead and it wants you to set the time and date.  Go into the BIOS and check to see if the time/date is correct. Also look to see if some piece of hardware is "not detected".

If there is a fan, and it is set to stop on a fan error, it will cause the BIOS menu to pop up too as a "critical failure".

• Steve Cox and Nick Dangerr like this

#8 D.T.

D.T.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:30 PM

Well, I think that I have finally found the problem.  I will be sending it in to Primaluce Lab for repair.  I thought I would tell the tale and the resolution, if anybody can benefit from it.  From my perspective, I do not recommend Primalucelab computers.  You will see why I think that way when I tell you my tale.  Below are the steps I went through.

1) Discussion here in the Forum on cloudynights.

2) Email exchange with technical support at Primalucelab.  Mostly had me look at Bios settings and check using Intel Driver & Support Assistant.  They suggested that I send it in.  I did not because the problem was very intermittent and I was afraid that they would not be able to reproduce the problem.

3) Exchange with Intel NUC technical support.They tried to help me but we could not find any solution.

4) Brought the Eagle 4s to a local computer repair shop.  They could not reproduce the problem.  So, I had them replace the SSD with a new SSD cloned from the existing one.  Worked fine at the shop.  I brought the Eagle home and the same problem still occurred.  Then I had the shop replace the motherboard with a new one.  Worked fine at the repair shop.  Brought it home and saw the same problem again.

5) Last week the Eagle 4s refused to even boot up.  It would not even POST.  I brought it back to the Computer repair shop and this time he saw that it would not even post.  There is a proprietary board which contains the buck boost circuitry to provide 19v to the NUC.  This board had failed.  When the tech bypassed it and fed 19v directly to the NUC, it worked.  This is the same proprietary board which supports the 12 volts out connectors and input voltage connector.

6) I will be contacting Primalucelab tomorrow to get an RMS and send the unit in for repair.  I do not regret not sending the unit in when they originally suggested it.  It was so intermittent that they would probably not be able to reproduce the problem.

I also have an issue with the problems I was having with the voltage in and voltage out connectors (I have another posting on CN with that issue).  The designer choose connectors are not standard power connectors so that the user will need to purchase high priced cables from Primalucelab.  I wanted to make my own cables.  Primalucelab does sell the connectors, but the terminals inside the connectors are so tiny I could not use them.  Based upon the advice from somebody on CN, I was able to buy connectors from Mouser which would fit and I could work with.  But the terminals on the Eagle 4s are so close together that I could only put 2 on instead of all 4.  They are mounted on the same proprietary board as the buck booster.

The proprietary board in question is really the heart of the Eagle 4s.  I only have a sample size of one.  But I think that board was incompetently designed.  Because of that, I recommend against anybody buying any of the Primalucelab computers.  Select a Mini PC (there are hundreds of different ones available) and add a Powerwerx rigrunner board for any other power distribution and a powered USB hub if you need any other USB ports and a controller for dew if needed.  Use this kind of setup instead of any Primalucelab product.  Just my opinion, but there it is.

• Skywatchr likes this

#9 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 25 June 2023 - 07:14 PM

There it is, the BIOS could not find the board when it came up indicating an issue.  Great job figuring it out!  waytogo.gif

Now knowing they use custom/propriety components (connectors and BIOS in this case), I will steer clear of them.  I had considered a focus motor, but took a hard stop because of the lack of any other control of it, but their propriety system.  No handbox, and requires an LCD device (phone, tablet, or computer) which is, IMO, idiotic for nighttime use.

#10 D.T.

D.T.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2023 - 12:20 AM

There it is, the BIOS could not find the board when it came up indicating an issue.  Great job figuring it out!  waytogo.gif

Now knowing they use custom/propriety components (connectors and BIOS in this case), I will steer clear of them.  I had considered a focus motor, but took a hard stop because of the lack of any other control of it, but their propriety system.  No handbox, and requires an LCD device (phone, tablet, or computer) which is, IMO, idiotic for nighttime use.

Actually, the connectors they used were not proprietary, Just difficult to work with.  It's really that the design was very bad on the proprietary board.  At least, if the objective is to give the customer a good product.  If the objective was to force the customer to buy more Primalucelab products just to use the original purchase, then maybe it is not so bad.  The BIOS is not custom.  They just used a standard Intel NUC with it's Intel NUC BIOS. 

I see it mostly as a matter of Marketing pushing design decisions on Engineering. Primaluce certainly is not the only company to do this.  The camera companies Market Segmentation Strategy has annoyed me for years.  Anyway, whatever led them to do what they did, I think that the engineering sucked in this product.

• Skywatchr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics