•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binos & Mewlon 210

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 timmyt101

timmyt101

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: AZ

Posted 09 February 2023 - 06:37 PM

Looking to add binos to my collection.  My primary scope is a Mewlon 210 on a Rowan 100.  For those of you with a 210, please post your bino equipment:

- brand/model of bino

- diagonal

- visual back and/or any connecters/spacers

- favorite eyepieces

Also, please provide your pros/cons with your set up and what you would do differently.

Thanks!

Tim 

#2 ckwastro

ckwastro

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe / N. Scottsdale, AZ (B9 / B5 Skies)

Posted 10 February 2023 - 10:38 AM

I had an M210 for 12 years. I used a Denkmeier binoviewer with power switch, and used either an AP MaxBright diagonal or TeleVue Everbright. The OCS Russ made for me was a 1.2x that screwed into the field end of the diagonal. No special connectors or spacers. 

Eyepieces I used were Brandon 32s, 28mm RKEs, 15mm RKEs (15mm discontinued). I have more BV pairs but with the power switch didn’t need more than those. The 15mm on the high power switch produced 385x. Seeing here was rarely good enough to use that. 

• kroum likes this

#3 Reid W

Reid W

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 11 February 2023 - 12:57 PM

Sure, my 210 has the OEM back.

My binoviewer is the Denk 2, and I'll use TV 32s (with the eye guard extns) or APM 18s.

Most of the time, I use the Denk 2" diagonal power switch w/ corrector.  The diagonal is an older William Optics version with an enhanced mirror.  The corrector is on the telescope side, on the end of the diagonal.  

here's the link to the newer version with the dielectric mirror:  https://www.denkmeie...tar-diagonal-r1

(in his photo, you can see the corrector is next to the diagonal-I didn't like it there-don't want to stress the glass in the 2" holder....and since I'm direct connected, moving the corrector to the end maintained the same separation distance)

Additionally, the binoviewer is (can be) direct connected to the power switch via the dovetail- in the link above you can see how the nosepiece of the diagonal can be removed by releasing the thumbscrew.

I also have the 1.25" power switch  & corrector elements.  when running that setup, I'll use a 1.25 Baader prism.

Close comparisons between the 2 diagonal setups, as far as planetary/lunar is concerned, is hard to distinguish; but on the open clusters, it seems the 2" brings more.  

#4 lwbehney

lwbehney

Apollo

Posted 11 February 2023 - 11:56 PM

I use a TV Bino Vue, which now can only be found used. My visual back is the Moonlite manual focuser which also is currently no longer available and is about the same length as the standard Takahashi visual back. Using the Tele Vue 2X amplifier and the fairly short Takahashi 1.25 inch prism diagonal  allows me to reach focus with this arrangement. My absolute favorite eyepiece pair to use with this binoviewer are the Morpheus 17.5 mm eyepieces. This gives me 276X on the planets, which reveals a strikingly detailed view. I am not certain that I could explain why these eyepieces work so well for me. I find they allow me to more easily adjust my eyes for a perfectly matched presentation. I bought this pair, because CN had an article about using them in binoviewers.

The Tele Vue Binovue has T2 threads and can connect to the Baader 37 mm prism diagonal T2 male threads directly to help shorten the light path. I have been waiting forever for this prism diagonal to arrive and  Precise Parts can machine a connector to the visual back of the Mewlon allowing it to mate with a Baader adapter which replaces and further shortens the visual back. I am pretty certain that using the Baader prism diagonal and the Precise Parts visual back adapter, that a 1.25X OCS corrector can bring the Bino Vue to focus, which has a pretty long light path. From my reading, Baader makes adapters for the Mewlon, but you must buy two adapters to allow it to attach to the diagonal, and this ends up being a longer light path than just using a single adapter from Precise Parts. 

According to some on the CN fora, if money is no object, a pair of Panoptic 24 mm eyepieces for the widest fov is a big favorite. Some like to use a pair of 32 mm Brandon or TV plossl eyepieces for wide field views. I own one Brandon 32 mm and must say it has wonderful transparency. I have not yet gotten a second one, as I am still waiting upon the Baader prism. 

• greenstars3 likes this

#5 DJ N

DJ N

Vostok 1

• Loc: South Australia

Posted 06 March 2023 - 12:38 AM

Hi all

Finally received my Mewlon 210 last week....... (ordered September 2021 wink.gif ). On the weekend, did a bit of testing with my binoviewer setup and all seems sweet.

The details are as follows...

• Binoviewer: Carl Zeis CZAS
  • Diagonal: Baader Maxbright T2 Mirror diagonal with 1.25x GPC
  • Standard Mewlon visual-back.
  • Mount : Discmounts DM-6

In terms of eyepieces, I have a pair of 24mm Panoptics and 13mm Naglers. Both pairs worked fine for viewing the moon. I was hoping to see the planets, but Venus and Jupiter were too low in the western 'mush'.

I think if I was to change the visual back for a Baader ultra short clamp, then I am pretty sure this would allow sufficient in-focus to use the binoviewers without a GPC. Might give that a try on the weekend, as I have the bits and pieces I need on the Tak 100DF.

Cheers

Daniel

Edited by DJ N, 06 March 2023 - 12:40 AM.

• RAKing, shaesavage, Reid W and 3 others like this

#6 DJ N

DJ N

Vostok 1

Posted 08 March 2023 - 08:41 PM

Mewlon with Bino CN.jpg

Hi all

Finally received my Mewlon 210 last week....... (ordered September 2021 wink.gif ). On the weekend, did a bit of testing with my binoviewer setup and all seems sweet.

The details are as follows...

• Binoviewer: Carl Zeis CZAS
  • Diagonal: Baader Maxbright T2 Mirror diagonal with 1.25x GPC
  • Standard Mewlon visual-back.
  • Mount : Discmounts DM-6

In terms of eyepieces, I have a pair of 24mm Panoptics and 13mm Naglers. Both pairs worked fine for viewing the moon. I was hoping to see the planets, but Venus and Jupiter were too low in the western 'mush'.

I think if I was to change the visual back for a Baader ultra short clamp, then I am pretty sure this would allow sufficient in-focus to use the binoviewers without a GPC. Might give that a try on the weekend, as I have the bits and pieces I need on the Tak 100DF.

Cheers

Daniel

Hi all,

I thought I better add a photo laugh.gif

Cheers

D

Edited by DJ N, 08 March 2023 - 08:55 PM.

• Dennis_Oz, RAKing, shaesavage and 4 others like this

#7 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 09 March 2023 - 01:29 AM

This scope has since moved on to another owner but gave fine views at the time:

Mewlon 210 with custom tube rings from 2047Studio via Range88

Zeiss binoviewer with Baader T2 Zeiss Prism

Tak LE eyepieces and Baader SkySurferV finder

AZEQ6GT mount modified base on Tak EM400 tripod

Attached Thumbnails

• MIS_7366s.jpg

• Illinois, denis0007dl and JeremySh like this

#8 lwbehney

lwbehney

Apollo

Posted 11 February 2024 - 12:36 PM

attachicon.gif Mewlon with Bino CN.jpgattachicon.gif Mewlon with Bino.jpg

Hi all,

I thought I better add a photo laugh.gif

Cheers

D

Hello Daniel,

It took more than two years for you to receive your Mewlon 210??  In that case, I am so fortunate.

That is such a nice set up with the alt/az Discmount. I use the 1.25X GPC also, but I split the difference in the eyepiece focal lengths with a pair of 17.5 mm Morphei. I find it gets more difficult holding the view properly in my Bino Vue at small exit pupils. I have the 13 N T6 also and it is one of my favorite eyepieces. 

I am curious to know if you have ever had the opportunity to compare your Mewlon 210 against an Edge 9.25 Celestron? I am asking, because I like viewing globular star clusters in my Mewlon and wonder sometimes if the 9.25 could outclass the Mewlon 210 on these objects and on galaxies.

#9 DJ N

DJ N

Vostok 1

Posted 12 February 2024 - 02:55 AM

Hello Daniel,

It took more than two years for you to receive your Mewlon 210??  In that case, I am so fortunate.

That is such a nice set up with the alt/az Discmount. I use the 1.25X GPC also, but I split the difference in the eyepiece focal lengths with a pair of 17.5 mm Morphei. I find it gets more difficult holding the view properly in my Bino Vue at small exit pupils. I have the 13 N T6 also and it is one of my favorite eyepieces. 

I am curious to know if you have ever had the opportunity to compare your Mewlon 210 against an Edge 9.25 Celestron? I am asking, because I like viewing globular star clusters in my Mewlon and wonder sometimes if the 9.25 could outclass the Mewlon 210 on these objects and on galaxies.

Hello

Wow… how time has flown since I posted that image. Since then, quite a bit of my equipment has changed. The DM6 is gone and has been replaced with a Rowan AZ100. The CZAS binoviewer is gone as well and has been replaced with the Baader Maxbright II. I actually find the MBII easier to use especially at high power. Finally, I have also taken a different direction with my eyepieces. 

From an eyepiece perspective, I have recently purchased a few of the Takahashi TPL’s and TOE’s for use across the Mewlon and my FC100DF. As a side note, I use the binoviewers 100% of the time…. Very rarely use mono . 

also, my viewing habits have changed a lot recently. I now tend to very much concentrate on lunar viewing the majority of the time…. Just cannot get enough of the moon. Tie in a very hectic work life, I think that the Mewlon may not be the best scope for me as I tend to do quick grab and go sessions…. The Mewlon does need some time to stabilise. In fact, I have been very seriously thinking of ‘trading’ it in for a TSA120. I have always loved the crispness and simplicity of refractors. I absolutely adore the FC100 and have done dozens of side by side between the two scopes on the moon and Jupiter, and usually find that I prefer using the refractor. I have had many SCTs, Newtonians…. But I just keep going back to refractors.

I noticed in your signature, you also have a FS128….. how do you find they compare on the moon? And on globulars taking into consideration of aperture difference? Incomparison to a C9.25, unfortunately I am unable to provide any advice. That is the one SCT I have not owned.

Cheers

Daniel

• RAKing, lwbehney and JeremySh like this

#10 lwbehney

lwbehney

Apollo

Posted 12 February 2024 - 07:54 PM

Hi Daniel,

I prefer the refractor over the Mewlon on the Moon and Jupiter. My local atmospheric seeing favors my refractor.   In the case of Mars, the Mewlon gets the edge due to the finer resolution, which is so needed when hunting for small albedo markings. The Mewlon also beats the refractor on Globular clusters and galaxies.  However, if looking at open star clusters or double stars, the refractor handily wins due to the perfect pinpoint clarity of the stars.  If I had to give up one of the two telescopes, it would be the Mewlon that would go. 

On the Moon, I  use my binoviewers almost exclusively and that is true about Jupiter and Saturn as well. 

I recently tried observing Keid with my Mewlon and my Bino Vue, and the mild loss of magnitude reach was not an issue in being able to visualize the 11th magnitude Red Dwarf of the C component of that system.   A friend of mine on the same night, could not see Keid C with his Takahashi 76 DCU. I think using a binoviewer is a fine way to go about observing double stars in larger refractors. If the weather ever breaks again, I will have a go at Keid with my 128 and Bino Vue. I doubt that I could do it, unless the transparency and seeing allowed it. 

Clear skies,

Larry

• JeremySh likes this

#11 JeremySh

JeremySh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 13 February 2024 - 06:50 AM

I think my M210 beats my TSA 120on planets and globulars (mono viewing, note I do not observe the Moon). For pretty much the rest I prefer my TSA.

The big downside with the Mewlon is the diffraction spikes which I find highly distracting on Jupiter and Mars. I am acclimatising to them a bit, but if somebody told me I could only keep one, it would be the TSA.

• RAKing likes this

#12 RAKing

RAKing

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern VA - West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 24 February 2024 - 08:51 AM

I binoview 100-percent of the time with my Tak FC-100 and TSA-120 refractors and opened this thread because I am thinking about adding a Tak Mewlon to the mix for the Messier galaxies.  I need more aperture to pick up the dimmer galaxies in Coma B. and Virgo and figured a Mewlon would be a nice way to go.

It's good to know that my regular setup - Baader Mark V, T2 BBHS mirror diagonal, and a 1.25x GPC will also work well on the Mewlon.  I use TV Panoptics, and T5/T6 Naglers, plus a pair of Tak TOE eyepieces for everything - lunar, planets, double stars, variable stars, and DSO.

Thanks for the info!

Ron

TSA-120 Baader VB.JPG

Edited by RAKing, 24 February 2024 - 08:52 AM.

• Scott in NC and JeremySh like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics