•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Binocular Case

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:57 PM

My case that came with the Obie 20x90s broke in two places (latch and side strap attachment) this past week. The binos stayed in collimation after the fall. I had heavily foamed lined the Obie box. I went over to the local Conatainer Store and bought a plastic case (double walled) with latches for about $30. I added some foam I had lying around. Works great. I've used these cases before with my Stellarvue AT1010 and they hold up well.

Attached Thumbnails

• 120392-DSC00010.JPG

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 06 June 2004 - 02:39 PM

Nice case Craig.

Well worth around around $30, I would say.

I hope your experience serves as a warning to others.

Consider yourself fortunate the collimation ( or something even more serious ) was not damaged.

I think you've suffered you fair share of "bino damage" already for one year !

Regards , Kenny.

#3 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 06 June 2004 - 06:58 PM

Craig, I did a similar thing for some view camera lenses once. I used a sheet of an insulating foam from the local hardware store. It was easy to cut and I was able to make a faily good "mold" for the lenses. It can take a lot of space out of the case to prevent the equipment from rattling around.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:20 AM

A "container store"? That's one dedicated store! The styrofoam holder sent with my Oberwerk binos is so-so, but it obviously can be easily punctured. I like your rigid bino box. I hope it passes any unfortuante future tests!

#5 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:47 AM

The strap on the side of the Obie box tore right thru the leather(?) riveted attachment. I had installed (3) 1 1/2" pieces of foam on the bottom, (1) 1 1/2" pieces on each side and two 1 1/2" pieces on top just before going on vacation last week. The binos fell from about waist height (slung over my choulder) and landed on a corner of the box. I highly recommend getting a replacement container for those that are still using the stock Obie box.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 June 2004 - 11:19 AM

I agree. Thanks for the advice.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics