•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone tried the 2 inch Surplus Shed 32mm RK?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 19 March 2023 - 08:10 AM

This question was posted in 2017 and were never answered, I see it is being advertised again and still for $29, has anyone tried this "INEXPENSIVE 32MM REV KELLNER 2" " eyepiece? 

#2 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 31 May 2023 - 06:41 AM

I never got an answer on this so I went ahead and ordered the eyepiece... well it's only $29. This may have been a worthwhile eyepiece in 2017 but the one I got from the "Surplus Shed" is not worth it! 

Here is what I received:

SS1.jpg

SS2.jpg

SS3.jpg

The advert did say "INEXPENSIVE 32MM REV KELLNER 2" EYEPIECE" but it said nothing about loosely assembled with masking tape! 

The lenses maybe useable but I would first have to find a way to mount them properly before i can evaluate them. 

My conclusion is : rather save your $29 for somthing better.

• izar187 and Thomas_M44 like this

#3 Thomas_M44

Thomas_M44

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Livermore, California USA

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:33 AM

I never got an answer on this so I went ahead and ordered the eyepiece... well it's only $29. This may have been a worthwhile eyepiece in 2017 but the one I got from the "Surplus Shed" is not worth it! 
Here is what I received:
attachicon.gifSS1.jpg
attachicon.gifSS2.jpg
attachicon.gifSS3.jpg
The advert did say "INEXPENSIVE 32MM REV KELLNER 2" EYEPIECE" but it said nothing about loosely assembled with masking tape! 
The lenses maybe useable but I would first have to find a way to mount them properly before i can evaluate them. 

My only experiences with Surplus Shed have been resoundingly negative.

I ordered two different eyepiece from them (I should have learned the first time) and both times the eyepieces arrived poorly packed, with very dirty and smudged lenses and something like dirty grease or machinist cutting fluid residue completely covering the eyepiece bodies. My fingers were literally blackened by the smelly black residue. Also, the lenses were not properly seated and rattled-around terribly.

It seemed evident the eyepieces were just being carelessly slapped-together, and then tossed into boxes without any quality control at all.

The merchandise I received both times was essentially garbage, and so I sent it back immediately for refund each time.

It was a truly bizarre experience.

Never again…

Edited by Thomas_M44, 31 May 2023 - 10:37 AM.

#4 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: My backyard in the Big Valley, CA

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:44 AM

Wow! Stark contrast to Eyepieces etc, Astronomics, and the other Astro-vendors we generally consider! One can only imagine the Nick-names folks might come up with after such experiences. Surplus Shoe Polish, etc…..lol.gif

• havasman likes this

#5 jrazz

jrazz

Soyuz

• Loc: NoCO

Posted 31 May 2023 - 11:25 AM

That's so janky is actually funny...

I guess you should be thankful they didn't use gum?  

Wow... I remember being quite fond of the shed in the 90's (not dating myself.... I could have been very very young)

• tturtle, ihf and sunrag like this

#6 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: My backyard in the Big Valley, CA

Posted 31 May 2023 - 11:35 AM

That's so janky is actually funny...

I guess you should be thankful they didn't use gum?  

Wow... I remember being quite fond of the shed in the 90's (not dating myself.... I could have been very very young)

I can already see the entertaining title on the write-up: “Surplus Shed Deal Nearly Slips Thru Fingers!” It practically writes itselfsmirk.gif

• tturtle and jrazz like this

#7 sunrag

sunrag

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carmel, Indiana

Posted 31 May 2023 - 11:37 AM

yes, we went to Kintergarten together..

I have very good experience with SS for achromats lenses (objective lenses in cells and smaller ones for making finders etc). One eyepiece (12.5mm 2" barrel) was quite good (I got in 2019) since I was able to compare with another 12 mm eyepiece (UO) and found little difference. Then I got a 50mm ep that was no good. The lenses were visibly misaligned.

• jrazz likes this

#8 MikeB 2

MikeB 2

Viking 1

• Loc: SE OH

Posted 31 May 2023 - 05:40 PM

Wow, I wonder if this is their typical way of sending out an EP. Surplus parts and you build your own?!?

#9 T1R2

T1R2

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Little Rock, Arkansas

Posted 31 May 2023 - 06:58 PM

I have to admit...thats kinda funny.

#10 izar187

izar187

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 43N

Posted 31 May 2023 - 08:54 PM

Certainly looks like a small collection of surplus optics.

They may have come across some leftover ep barrels, then added lenses and a spacer(?).

Masking tape looks old, though I realize it may not be.

My few transactions with them years ago were OK. A few, from years ago.

But that is one pretty disappointing sad looking ep.

Should have been advertised as ep parts: assembly and shimming required.

#11 RichA

RichA

Voyager 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 01 June 2023 - 02:18 AM

Here is what I received:

attachicon.gif SS1.jpg

attachicon.gif SS2.jpg

attachicon.gif SS3.jpg

Investing in a cheap 3D printer wouldn't kill Surplusshed.

• Piet Le Roux likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics