•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Picking exact spots to watch the eclipse in Texas

48 replies to this topic

#1 nemesis256

nemesis256

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 March 2023 - 06:44 PM

Like many others, I'm planning on going to Texas. Looking for spots to watch the eclipse from, hoping to not be among a huge crowd, I'm looking at secondary/dirt roads outside of towns. Looking at satellite and street view images a lot. I'm not finding a lot, roads are narrow with no good place to park for a couple hours. What's nearby are often driveways, gates, and houses. Are the locals going to be ok with seeing cars nearby along the roads? Don't want to be provoked with someone guns blazing!

Edited by nemesis256, 24 March 2023 - 06:15 PM.

#2 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 23 March 2023 - 07:14 PM

I helped my small hometown plan for its accommodating thousands of visitors for the 2017 eclipse in SE Nebraska.  The towns in Pawnee County decided to coordinate and cooperate.  The towns made arrangements with landowners and farmers that would welcome eclipse chasers on their land.  They provided signage and directions, also food and portapotties.  I would recommend contacting Texas towns in the path to see what facilities they have arranged.  The wise areas will be welcoming.  An eclipse is a CA$H COW for the prepared- it's an annoyance for the ignorant.

These are economic impact figures that I have gleaned from post-2017 news coverage online:

South Carolina  $269M

Wyoming  $63.5M

Nebraska  $127M

Hopkinsville, Kentucky $30M

Edited by kfiscus, 24 March 2023 - 06:48 PM.

• Katharine, Alan D. Whitman and Bob W4 like this

#3 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

Posted 23 March 2023 - 07:27 PM

Follow up on economics

In the article "So, Eclipse Boom Towns, How'd It Go?" in the Atlantic, I found the following quote:

"There were very few people in town who knew what an eclipse was.  Even with the businesses, it was like "Why do I care?  What does it mean for me?"  Now they get it."  [Emphasis added]

Edited by kfiscus, 23 March 2023 - 07:28 PM.

• havasman and flt158 like this

#4 gordtulloch

gordtulloch

Apollo

• Loc: Winnipeg Canada

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:37 AM

We are booked in Mazatlan already, in the Hotel Tramonto Mazatlan arriving Sat. Apr 6 afternoon and departing the following Saturday Apr 13 which will hopefully bracket the bulk of the mob a bit. We were actually in Mazatlan mid-February on a pre-Eclipse scouting vacation (it was -40C at home!!) and were quite taken with the Avenida Playa Gaviotas area which is near the N end of the Malecon (boardwalk). We were there during Carnival where apparently the .5M population of Maz swells to 3M and were pleased that there wasn't any congestion at all except at parades, fireworks etc. so Maz appears to be able to handle large influxes well. Gaviotas is a really nice area with lots of shops, restaurants, and bars with live music for a few cervasas to cool down (Lucky B's is a favorite!)

For those who might be looking to book in Mazatlan there are three areas. The Golden Zone in the middle are where all the hotels are, generally on the beach although there are some inland as well. The Mercado boardwalk extends just to the South of Avenida Playa Gaviotas all the way down to Centro and Playas Del Sur.  For accommodations the Marina is pretty far out and will require transportation to get anywhere you might want to go in Mazatlan, as is the northern parts of the Golden Zone so I suggest anyone looking for accommodations close to the Gaviotas area or off the Mercado. Centro is probably going to be a bit noisy as there is a motorcycle festival going on at the same time, I understand. So probably a hotel right on the Malecon might be a bit noisy as well.

AREAS.png

Zooming in a bit on Gaviotas you can see it's off the main drag (Av Camaron Sabalo) which turns into Av Del Mar which the Malecon runs along. The side streets are full of neat stores, restaurants and bars that cater to the gringo crowd. The Malecon is a quick walk down to Valentino's at the bottom of the image. Lots of transportation comes down Gaviotas or you can pop up to Sabalo and catch a frequent bus. Hotels on the ocean side are obviously preferred and have beach access.

GAV.jpg

We stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton the first time round which is at the N end of the Golden Zone where all the big hotels are - it was a grind to walk down to the Malecon a lot so we ended up taking the ubiquitous Pulmonias a lot (150pesos a trip) but it's easy to get around with Uber (quite cheap) and even buses (13pesos).  The Doubletree was wonderful and had a great deck area for observing the eclipse but noisy at night - there are two clubs on the block that pounded out music all night. Perhaps because it was Carnival but I suspect they're going all the time.

People may have some concerns about safety in Mazatlan but there was not a moment we didn't feel completely safe in the area of the city near the Malecon / Beaches. The Policia presence is very heavy (federales in tactical gear with M16s riding around in the back of pickups down to rent-a-cops at individual venues). If you don't plan on travelling outside the tourist enclave you'll be as safe or more safe than at home. I definitely would not be chasing clear skies by heading out into the countryside however!!

If you're interested in any more info on Maz from the ground there's a Facebook group I found very helpful: https://www.facebook.../MazatlanExpats

I'm also happy to share my experiences, we've only been back a couple of weeks and I can't wait to go back!

Edited by gordtulloch, 24 March 2023 - 09:50 AM.

• R Botero, kfiscus and Nick Dangerr like this

#5 gordtulloch

gordtulloch

Apollo

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:40 AM

I helped my hometown plan for its accommodating thousands of visitors for the 2017 eclipse in SE Nebraska.  The towns in the county decided to coordinate and cooperate.  The towns made arrangements with landowners and farmers that would welcome eclipse chasers on their land.  They provided signage and directions, also food and portapotties.  I would recommend contacting Texas towns in the path to see what facilities they have arranged.  The wise areas will be welcoming.  An eclipse is a CA$H COW for the prepared- it's an annoyance for the ignorant.

These are economic impact figures that I have gleaned from post-2017 news coverage online:

South Carolina  $269M

Wyoming  $63.5M

Nebraska  $127M

Hopkinsville, Kentucky $30M

Clay Sherrod has a great presentation on this: https://www.youtube....h?v=lCPiku5Ghes

• kfiscus likes this

#6 gordtulloch

gordtulloch

Apollo

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:44 AM

I found this image from fellow RASC Winnipeg Member Jay Anderson's eclipsophile.com site (originally from NASA) very helpful in selecting a spot where you have a good chance at decent weather:

Noam-centre-cloud.png

Jay is the pre-eminent weather forecaster for eclipses and has been to events all over the world so his report on his site is an excellent guide.

Edited by gordtulloch, 24 March 2023 - 09:45 AM.

• Jim Haley, R Botero, flt158 and 2 others like this

#7 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

Posted 24 March 2023 - 03:35 PM

We are booked in Mazatlan already, in the Hotel Tramonto Mazatlan arriving Sat. Apr 6 afternoon and departing the following Saturday Apr 13 which will hopefully bracket the bulk of the mob a bit. We were actually in Mazatlan mid-February on a pre-Eclipse scouting vacation (it was -40C at home!!) and were quite taken with the Avenida Playa Gaviotas area which is near the N end of the Malecon (boardwalk). We were there during Carnival where apparently the .5M population of Maz swells to 3M and were pleased that there wasn't any congestion at all except at parades, fireworks etc. so Maz appears to be able to handle large influxes well. Gaviotas is a really nice area with lots of shops, restaurants, and bars with live music for a few cervasas to cool down (Lucky B's is a favorite!)

For those who might be looking to book in Mazatlan there are three areas. The Golden Zone in the middle are where all the hotels are, generally on the beach although there are some inland as well. The Mercado boardwalk extends just to the South of Avenida Playa Gaviotas all the way down to Centro and Playas Del Sur.  For accommodations the Marina is pretty far out and will require transportation to get anywhere you might want to go in Mazatlan, as is the northern parts of the Golden Zone so I suggest anyone looking for accommodations close to the Gaviotas area or off the Mercado. Centro is probably going to be a bit noisy as there is a motorcycle festival going on at the same time, I understand. So probably a hotel right on the Malecon might be a bit noisy as well.

attachicon.gifAREAS.png

Zooming in a bit on Gaviotas you can see it's off the main drag (Av Camaron Sabalo) which turns into Av Del Mar which the Malecon runs along. The side streets are full of neat stores, restaurants and bars that cater to the gringo crowd. The Malecon is a quick walk down to Valentino's at the bottom of the image. Lots of transportation comes down Gaviotas or you can pop up to Sabalo and catch a frequent bus. Hotels on the ocean side are obviously preferred and have beach access.

attachicon.gifGAV.jpg

We stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton the first time round which is at the N end of the Golden Zone where all the big hotels are - it was a grind to walk down to the Malecon a lot so we ended up taking the ubiquitous Pulmonias a lot (150pesos a trip) but it's easy to get around with Uber (quite cheap) and even buses (13pesos).  The Doubletree was wonderful and had a great deck area for observing the eclipse but noisy at night - there are two clubs on the block that pounded out music all night. Perhaps because it was Carnival but I suspect they're going all the time.

People may have some concerns about safety in Mazatlan but there was not a moment we didn't feel completely safe in the area of the city near the Malecon / Beaches. The Policia presence is very heavy (federales in tactical gear with M16s riding around in the back of pickups down to rent-a-cops at individual venues). If you don't plan on travelling outside the tourist enclave you'll be as safe or more safe than at home. I definitely would not be chasing clear skies by heading out into the countryside however!!

If you're interested in any more info on Maz from the ground there's a Facebook group I found very helpful: https://www.facebook.../MazatlanExpats

I'm also happy to share my experiences, we've only been back a couple of weeks and I can't wait to go back!

Thank you for sharing this intel.  We're booked in Maz w/ Fred Espenak (Mr. Eclipse) w/ Speer's Travel.

Edited by kfiscus, 24 March 2023 - 04:22 PM.

• Diana N, flt158, jokrausdu and 1 other like this

#8 LouHalikman

LouHalikman

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Central Maryland

Posted 27 March 2023 - 11:13 AM

We have been contemplating Durango Mexico.  Easy to reach by air from Dallas and plenty of hotels.  Does anyone have any experience with this area?

• Jimmy462 and flt158 like this

#9 Nick Dangerr

Nick Dangerr

Mariner 2

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 27 March 2023 - 11:38 AM

attachicon.gifAREAS.png

attachicon.gifGAV.jpg

We'll be taking some family to Mazatlan from April 5 to April 9. We'll be staying in Villa Serena Centro Historico in Centro. We're really looking forward to it!!

We have a house in Pendleton, SC - which the maximum totality line for the 2017 eclipse passed right over. This made my partner a total convert regarding eclipse watching. She regularly leads tours to Mexico and we may extend the visit by spending time in the Mexico City environs.

Edited by Nick Dangerr, 27 March 2023 - 11:43 AM.

#10 NickLandis2023

NickLandis2023

Lift Off

Posted 27 March 2023 - 12:56 PM

My plan is to go to Texas for 2024. I'll probably fly into San Antonino and then decide the day before which direction to head for the best chance of clear skies, and just find a Park or roadside somewhere to set up camp.

That said I did notice there's an art foundation with a small-scale Stonehenge replica really close to the center line. That could be a memorable place to observe. 

• RNSpeed, nemesis256, ChancesFate and 2 others like this

#11 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Voyager 1

• Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:42 PM

I'm planning to walk out back to my observatory and have both scopes running.  We're on the center line here is Waxahachie or close enough that it doesn't matter.

• flt158, jrussell and reubanks like this

#12 Bob W4

Bob W4

Mariner 2

• Loc: Waterloo, iowa

Posted 02 April 2023 - 12:58 PM

I'll be staying near Del Rio, Texas on a DIY adventure.  I am salivating at the thought of eating at as many of the local Mexican restaurants as possible!!  A friend from Colorado whom I met in Alliance, Ne during the 2017 event, wants to do an on the cheap, DIY car adventure into Mexico.  I passed.  Not for me.

• havasman likes this

#13 reubanks

reubanks

Lift Off

Posted 08 April 2023 - 02:03 AM

To dcaponeii,

Good advanced planning on your part!

Randy

• RonH47 likes this

#14 flt158

flt158

Soyuz

• Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:40 AM

I have never been to Mexico before. 

But my wife and I are flying into Mexico City with Astro Trails. 

We will be with a good sized group of eclipse enthusiasts. 

So by this time next year we will be ready for the Total Solar Eclipse. 

We have binoculars and we will observe the eclipse in Torreon. 

Right now, it's 365 days to go.

It's getting exciting, isn't it?

Clear skies from Aubrey. 

Edited by flt158, 08 April 2023 - 09:42 AM.

#15 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Voyager 1

• Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 08 April 2023 - 01:15 PM

To dcaponeii,

Good advanced planning on your part!

Randy

No advanced planning. Moved here in 1989 to run the Superconducting Technology Department for the SSC. Never left after it was canceled.

#16 jrussell

jrussell

Ranger 4

• Loc: DFW Texas

Posted 11 April 2023 - 08:46 AM

Doing a little browsing on the Explore Scientific website and noticed they're offering what they're calling Crossroads of the Eclipses Expeditions. It's a viewing location they've arranged on a private ranch near the point that the center lines of the annular eclipse this year, and the total eclipse next year overlap. They offer the location for a few days for both. Camp sites w/o hookups on the site, apparently a food truck, bathroom facilities to be provided. $199 for the annular in October, $599 for the total next year. Makes me a little more inclined to just watch from my backyard, although I'm still looking for someplace a little more remote and a little closer to the center line.

• Diana N likes this

#17 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 11 April 2023 - 04:13 PM

Yikes

#18 xonefs

xonefs

Apollo

Posted 17 April 2023 - 11:57 AM

I'll likely fly to san antonio. I am thinking about and looking for the same thing. I have taken road trips though west texas on the way to big bend a couple times and passed though uvalde/del rio but don't remember much before then. It's unfortunate it's not just a little more west. Amistad National Recreation area is beautiful and on the edge of the April totality path. That would be a memorable and scenic place to see it from but not worth being so far off the center.  Scenery east of there is nothing remarkable that I'm aware of but I would at least like to get somewhere off the beaten path.

Texas is mostly private land and I'm not sure where would be decent as I don't want to be in crowds viewing right in a major city either. 

though I just looked at satelite today April 17, 23 and clouds all over there in S Texas lol

IMG_6022.jpg

Edited by xonefs, 17 April 2023 - 12:04 PM.

#19 R Botero

R Botero

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 18 April 2023 - 06:58 AM

I found this image from fellow RASC Winnipeg Member Jay Anderson's eclipsophile.com site (originally from NASA) very helpful in selecting a spot where you have a good chance at decent weather:

attachicon.gifNoam-centre-cloud.png

Jay is the pre-eminent weather forecaster for eclipses and has been to events all over the world so his report on his site is an excellent guide.

Gord

I've changed our booking from the north end of Mazatlan where I was originally to a place (another AirBnB) close to Centro and gained 15s of solar eclipse!  Thank you for your pointers!   

Flat has roof terrace with pool (which seem pretty common in town) so will observe from there as there will be electricity and space to relax. It's a small building (6-12 flats only) so I'm hoping I will have enough space for my family and telescope...

No issues finding places to stay still (we are 3, possibly 6 people) and didn't have to pay more (actually saved versus where I was) - so get booking people!  

See you there!

Roberto

• kfiscus and maj like this

#20 jrussell

jrussell

Ranger 4

• Loc: DFW Texas

Posted 18 April 2023 - 03:38 PM

I'm in Ft. Worth, so in the path of totality but I've been looking at other areas to try and get closer to the center line. This will be the first total eclipse I've had a chance to catch and I've started to realize how obsessive planning can be lol. I'm looking at campsites at a lake and thinking, "Well, I can get about another 3 seconds of totality from this end of the lake. But it really looks like I'll have a better view from that end of the lake." etc. and so on. I mean I can just stay in my own yard and watch it, but I keep thinking if I can just get that extra two minutes of totality. Then there's trying to reserve a campsite and reservations aren't open this far out. Ok, when can I get a reservation for then? Hmm, ok, so if the reservations open on this day, do I need to check right after midnight?

I've always said the invasion of Normandy took less planning than my wife puts into planning a vacation. I'm starting to think with this I may have her beat.

#21 Alan D. Whitman

Alan D. Whitman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: South of Penticton, British Columbia

Posted 18 April 2023 - 04:00 PM

I'm in Ft. Worth, so in the path of totality but I've been looking at other areas to try and get closer to the center line. This will be the first total eclipse I've had a chance to catch and I've started to realize how obsessive planning can be lol. I'm looking at campsites at a lake and thinking, "Well, I can get about another 3 seconds of totality from this end of the lake. But it really looks like I'll have a better view from that end of the lake." etc. and so on. I mean I can just stay in my own yard and watch it, but I keep thinking if I can just get that extra two minutes of totality.

That extra two minutes of totality by going to the centreline is important, assuming of course that weather allows you to sit on the centreline. The 2017 totality was only 2m9s where we viewed in in easternmost Oregon. It was my second-shortest of 10 totalities, and it was just too short for a fully satisfying view. I find that about 3.5 minutes is just enough for views with a telescope, the unaided eye including the surroundings like the sunset colours above all the horizons, and then binoculars. Longer is better, like the 6.5 minutes that we had in Mexico in '91. The 2024 totality will be a little longer than average, and that should make it special.

Edited by Alan D. Whitman, 18 April 2023 - 04:15 PM.

• jokrausdu and jrussell like this

#22 sbsbbugsy

sbsbbugsy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 April 2023 - 09:59 AM

I have two reservations, one in Cancon Tx and the other in Broken Arrow OK as a backup for weather.

I would avoid clogging smaller back roads near people's property. Also, many areas are farmland and large pieces of equipment use them on a daily basis.

#23 Southstorm

Southstorm

Viking 1

• Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:16 AM

We've reserved a place in Killeen, TX.

#24 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:35 PM

I have two reservations, one in Cancon Tx and the other in Broken Arrow OK as a backup for weather.

I would avoid clogging smaller back roads near people's property. Also, many areas are farmland and large pieces of equipment use them on a daily basis.

Do you mean Broken Bow? Broken Arrow is outside the path and a ways off.

#25 sbsbbugsy

sbsbbugsy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 April 2023 - 08:32 PM

Do you mean Broken Bow? Broken Arrow is outside the path and a ways off.

Yes, you are correct, my typo.

• bunyon likes this

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics