•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Total Eclipse Close Calls, Fails, and Adventures (I have a few...)

27 replies to this topic

#26 Those Who Squirm!

Those Who Squirm!

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eugene, Oregon USA

Posted 16 October 2023 - 01:51 AM

I wish I could get into the spirit here but I can't. I missed most of yesterday's because of the weather, but elsewhere in the city people did see it. Yet there was no reason for me to have assumed I should have been in one of those other places. By the time anyone knows where to be, it's too late. It's the luck of the draw, and I keep drawing a deuce.

Much the same happened in 2017 with the addition of cross country travel. Again nature was cruel at the watch party I attended 40 miles inland (you'd think inland would be a safer bet, right?), as a thunderstorm completely blocked our view. When I returned to my waterfront hotel that evening, I learned that everyone there had seen the eclipse just fine.

For the 1992 annular in Southern Calidornia, same thing. We were socked in at Pacific Palisades, but people a few miles down the coast gor to see it.

I can't travel next year, and 2045 is unthinkable; I'll be north of 85 by then if I'm still even around. I feel like a part of life that meant so much to me has passed me by. I feel I made a reasonable effort here, but it never panned out. I don't have a long bucketlist, but witnessing a total eclipse, or even an annular, was always on it.

Edited by Those Who Squirm!, 16 October 2023 - 01:52 AM.

#27 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 16 October 2023 - 02:30 AM

^^^I am unable to click the "Like This" button.^^^

Maybe something will change and a chance to travel overseas at the right time for a different eclipse will come your way.  Don't give up.

• jrussell likes this

#28 Alan D. Whitman

Alan D. Whitman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: South of Penticton, British Columbia

Posted 18 October 2023 - 06:13 AM

I wish I could get into the spirit here but I can't. I missed most of yesterday's because of the weather, but elsewhere in the city people did see it. Yet there was no reason for me to have assumed I should have been in one of those other places. By the time anyone knows where to be, it's too late. It's the luck of the draw, and I keep drawing a deuce.

Much the same happened in 2017 with the addition of cross country travel. Again nature was cruel at the watch party I attended 40 miles inland (you'd think inland would be a safer bet, right?), as a thunderstorm completely blocked our view. When I returned to my waterfront hotel that evening, I learned that everyone there had seen the eclipse just fine.

For the 1992 annular in Southern Calidornia, same thing. We were socked in at Pacific Palisades, but people a few miles down the coast gor to see it.

I can't travel next year, and 2045 is unthinkable; I'll be north of 85 by then if I'm still even around. I feel like a part of life that meant so much to me has passed me by. I feel I made a reasonable effort here, but it never panned out. I don't have a long bucketlist, but witnessing a total eclipse, or even an annular, was always on it.

Eclipse climatologist Jay Anderson says that the chance of cloud at the longest totality in your remaining lifetime, 2027 in Luxor, Egypt, is three percent. If that seems to far away to plan, some 2027 tours are already sold out.

• Diana N likes this

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics