•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

how much astronomy will benefit my life ?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#76 sajaime

sajaime

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Below Lat. 32

Posted 26 January 2024 - 05:16 PM

In the sky I look for a sign, shooting star, mysterious woman, somewhere you are...
ohmy.gif 

Lost of the night & polluted skies...This is a reality for those of us who live where 80% of the population lives, but those of us who still look up to look at the heavens, it is because we refuse to lose them... salute.gif

Edited by sajaime, 26 January 2024 - 05:24 PM.

#77 jimmydemello

jimmydemello

Explorer 1

• Loc: Kunming, CN

Posted 28 January 2024 - 10:37 PM

Its a Galaxy Quest!

#78 firefoe

firefoe

Sputnik

• Loc: Oceanside Long Island NY

Posted 03 February 2024 - 10:28 AM

Compared to other members of Cloudy Nights, I am not able to get out much. Mostly due to the weather. When I do it is one of the activities that make me appreciate not just the sky but opens you up to appreciation of so many other things around us. Frustrating yet so relaxing. After getting a telescope it made me realize how many people don't actually look up and see the night sky at all. One of the benefits that I got out of this is it has opened my son's eyes to the night sky. The 2 scopes I have are already treasures to him.

• Thomas Marshall, therealdmt and sajaime like this

#79 PKDfan

PKDfan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 05 February 2024 - 01:55 AM

How can anyone even survive without astronomy is my answer. I only feel alive looking into an exit pupil and must contain my urges lest it seem unsightly.

Parceling out too much time to ancient light and todays light gets lost and that also is unseemly.

Its a delicate balance.

Clearest Skies
  • Thomas Marshall likes this

#80 sajaime

sajaime

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2024 - 11:54 AM

...This is what there is, this is what we have...but this is not what we want...or is it?

confused1.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 1708188425554.jpg

#81 Rollo

Rollo

Apollo

• Loc: Florida

Posted 17 February 2024 - 02:13 PM

I've always enjoyed being outdoors and astronomy is another way of exploring nature.   

Attached Thumbnails

• pictues 2 412.jpg

• therealdmt likes this

#82 daveb2022

daveb2022

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Joaquin Valley

Posted 19 February 2024 - 03:13 AM

Ive been pretty active observing since 1999 but didn't do much between 2014 and 2017.Then in 2018 my heart went nuts and I had to make some major changes in my life style. Astronomy helped me make those changes. I quit drinking, and lost over a 100 pounds. My health is so much better than in the past, and observing has helped to maintain my status. I do enough research to make my observing sessions interesting without overloading me. I don't get all emotional or feel any mind bending wonderment at the EP, but find astronomy absolutely fascinating. And it's something I can do while at home compared to most of my other hobbies that require huge amounts of fuel. Win win hobby for me. 

Before and after pics...Might not look like I'm 100 pounds lighter, but what a difference.

yeaterday-today.JPG

Edited by daveb2022, 19 February 2024 - 03:31 AM.

• payner, areyoukiddingme, Thomas Marshall and 1 other like this

#83 payner

payner

Soyuz

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 19 February 2024 - 10:47 AM

Congrats to your healthy lifestyle change, daveb2022. You have a beautiful location to observe from.

• therealdmt and daveb2022 like this

#84 TayM57

TayM57

Vanguard

• Loc: Stellar Cartography Lab, U.S.S. Enterprise NCC 1701-D

Posted 19 February 2024 - 11:04 AM

Ive been pretty active observing since 1999 but didn't do much between 2014 and 2017.Then in 2018 my heart went nuts and I had to make some major changes in my life style. Astronomy helped me make those changes. I quit drinking, and lost over a 100 pounds. My health is so much better than in the past, and observing has helped to maintain my status. I do enough research to make my observing sessions interesting without overloading me. I don't get all emotional or feel any mind bending wonderment at the EP, but find astronomy absolutely fascinating. And it's something I can do while at home compared to most of my other hobbies that require huge amounts of fuel. Win win hobby for me. 

Before and after pics...Might not look like I'm 100 pounds lighter, but what a difference.

attachicon.gif yeaterday-today.JPG

Good call. I quit drinking back in '10 because it just wasn't compatible with my lifestyle, and my wife never has, and never will, drink. So I decided to stop while I was young and get ahead of things.

Now I have a career, and 3 kids. A lot has changed, for the better. I will say that it's much, much, much harder to quit chocolate than alcohol. I'm not kidding.

• Freezout and daveb2022 like this

#85 daveb2022

daveb2022

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Joaquin Valley

Posted 19 February 2024 - 01:28 PM

You have a beautiful location to observe from.

I'm guessing you're talking about the pic with the waterfall in it. Yes, a favorite. Actually, I prefer to observe from home just because of the simplicity, but I feel scenic spots could be therapeutic for some. I often just go there with a small refractor. Glacier Point's scenery can be as inspiring as the dark sky, but you'll have to practice your people skills. I also like more remote spots where I go to be alone in ultra dark skies. But no matter where I observe from, if astronomy makes me happy, hopefully it will make me live longer.

• sajaime likes this

#86 exhogflyer

exhogflyer

Explorer 1

• Loc: Upstate NY and South Florida USA

Posted 19 February 2024 - 08:01 PM

Now I have a career, and 3 kids. 

Pretty compelling reason right there to START drinking again!   Hahahahahahahaha!

'Course I'm just kidding.

#87 sajaime

sajaime

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2024 - 08:35 AM

One of the benefits of Astronomy is that sometimes it impacts you in your daily life. This weekend I was surprised on my way to work when I came face to face with asteroid 2024 DW, identified by the Tucson Observatory and monitored by NASA as a NEO, also reported by sites like TheSkyLive that track it. Pleasant surprise to be able to see it but not capture it as I would have liked...I only had my 100mm portable lens available. Better views and photos I would have achieved with the 300mm lens and a tripod, but hey, that's part of the magic of not knowing what the skies have in store for us...although at least I appreciated it better than last year's "green comet."

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20240225-WA0000.jpg

• JohnTMN likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics