•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Venus transit through 25 x 100 Celestron's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:02 PM

Thought a quick pic through the binos while imaging with my scope would be interesting.

Attached Thumbnails

• 122183-P6070027.jpg

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:22 PM

Sweet shot! Gotta love big binos.

Tom

#3 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 June 2004 - 03:36 PM

fantasic! thanks for sharing.
jeff

#4 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 08 June 2004 - 03:42 PM

Jeff ,

Put that CAP back on -- pronto :-)

P.S -- little while no hear.

Regards -- Kenny.

#5 Chris Graham

Chris Graham

mmmm...Haggis

• -----

Posted 09 June 2004 - 01:43 PM

Great image, i took my photo through 10x50.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for the response guys. I'm impressed with the image quality of these little digital cameras considering it's only a quick handheld snapshot through a binocular.

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2004 - 07:39 AM

So that's how you did it! I have tried that before, a few times, with my binos and digital camera..and the images were horrible. I don't think it was the techique I used, but rather the relatively poor quality of the camera. Could you share your technique and camera specs?

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:00 PM

Hey fellow Bay Stater! (NW)

I covered the right objective of the binos with the lens cap and placed a Thousand Oaks glass solar filter over the left. The camera is an Olympus Stylus 300 (3.2 megapixel).

The binos were on a sturdy tripod and I was seated while carefully aiming the camera through the eyepiece. I took twenty shots, seven of them look good. The camera's optical zoom was set to it's max (3x).

The most difficult part was getting a good alignment with the exit pupil of the binos and then allowing for the slight delay once the image looked good on the LCD viewscreen.

The shot was taken down on the shore of the Westport River.

Attached Thumbnails

• 124042-P6070006.jpg

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2004 - 08:04 AM

ZX12, nice picture! Lake and beach sides and mountain tops can provide some of the best observing locations. Anyway, thanks for the information. I think my camera is only 1.5 Mpixels, but still I would think that I should have gotten better results than I did. Maybe it just take some practice and patience.

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2004 - 11:38 AM

Thanks Nightwatch. Your sure are right about location. The mountains and the ocean are two of my favorite places to observe the night sky. The Whites up in N.H. are especially fantastic for mag 6+ skies.

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2004 - 12:25 PM

I have inlaws that live in a very remote area of the White Mts. Everytime I go up there, my binos are right beside me!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics