•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Star Adventurer 2i question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wanyuqi1998

wanyuqi1998

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:51 AM

Hi all,

I'm introducing my roommate to beginner AP and having trouble helping him setting up:

It's a sony a7 camera sitting on the mount, the shutter cable is connected(SNAP to multi), the camera shutter is in BULB mode, and the SA app is connected(wheel on APP, left and right button solid).

When I set the long-exposure time-lapse plan and run, the mount is slewing; however the shutter never fires and nothing showed up when I checked the camera.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

Allan

#2 mattbarber

mattbarber

Explorer 1

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 27 May 2023 - 11:05 AM

I'm not at all sure, but the camera may need to have a setting changed to allow it to respond to the shutter cable.  For example, the Sony cameras I have used will not respond to a wired or infrared remote until you find and turn on the setting to allow external control by remote.  Additionally, on my A7R IV, there are separate settings for USB, Bluetooth, computer-control (e.g. laptop), and WiFi, possibly others.  I'm not familiar enough with the original A7 to say what setting/s to look for, but to enable the remote, you may have to select it from the "drive" menu (the menu for selecting single or continuous shooting - there should be an option for 'remote').  But I suspect you will find that switch to 'remote' will automatically force a change from BULB to a max 30" exposure.  If you don't mind 30" or shorter exposures, it might still work for you.

As an alternative, if you are able/willing to connect a laptop, I can suggest using N.I.N.A, ASTAP, and this camera driver:   See this thread for a N.I.N.A.-to-A7 rundown:  https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/745522-my-successful-nina-to-sony-a7-setup/.  I use roughly the same setup with my A7R IV.  I had to watch some videos about NINA to figure it all out, but now I'm taking 30 sec to 2-minute exposures with little trouble.  It does mean I have to drag the laptop out, but among the many advantages of NINA is being able to confirm that my deep sky object is correctly framed, before committing to a long sequence of images.

#3 Kevin_A

Kevin_A

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belmont, Ontario Canada

Posted 27 May 2023 - 07:38 PM

The 2i is a finicky mount using APP. 
Mine does the same thing. I thought it was DOA but it turns out you have to put it in star mode first, then turn on the camera and then you can switch it from star mode to the APP mode. It is not documented but mine only works this way. Weird stuff! 

• Gandalf223 likes this

#4 Gandalf223

Gandalf223

Messenger

• Loc: Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 30 May 2023 - 01:00 PM

Y'all must have seen me coming.  Just yesterday, I received the remote release cable to connect my Sony a7Rii to the SA2i, and no joy ensued. 

Will try the star mode first trick.... 

EDIT: Eureka!  I turned the SA2i on with the camera still turned off, then camera on.  Rotated the SA2i selector wheel around to the APP position *without* passing through OFF.  Fired up the app, set up the long-exposure timelapse as a test, and it works!  Thanks, Kevin!

Edited by Gandalf223, 30 May 2023 - 02:08 PM.

• Kevin_A likes this

#5 Kevin_A

Kevin_A

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belmont, Ontario Canada

Posted 31 May 2023 - 05:46 PM

Y'all must have seen me coming.  Just yesterday, I received the remote release cable to connect my Sony a7Rii to the SA2i, and no joy ensued. 

Will try the star mode first trick.... 

EDIT: Eureka!  I turned the SA2i on with the camera still turned off, then camera on.  Rotated the SA2i selector wheel around to the APP position *without* passing through OFF.  Fired up the app, set up the long-exposure timelapse as a test, and it works!  Thanks, Kevin!

They really need to put this in the documentation. I always used an intervalometer on star mode until i decided i wanted to use dithering to remove walking noise. I use 1 arcsec just to shift it a few pixels. Cheers!

#6 floridamark

floridamark

Sputnik

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:55 AM

Me too, crazy but the order must be followed.  I passed through off (quickly) and that made it not work.

#7 floridamark

floridamark

Sputnik

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:56 AM

I was using a nikon d7000.  I turned the SA2i on with the camera still turned off, then camera on.  Rotated the SA2i selector wheel around to the APP position *without* passing through OFF.  Fired up the app and it works!

#8 kozak1984

kozak1984

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 March 2024 - 01:44 AM

Hello guys, I am a happy user of SW star adventurer ! But I’m tired of hurting my neck during polar alignment, so I want to upgrade my gear to use SharpCap video assisted PA, maybe someone has already done that and is willing to share solution how to do it properly ? I mean what camera and polarscope to use and how to attach it to sw star adventurer 2i ? 

Edited by kozak1984, 20 March 2024 - 01:48 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics