•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher Evolux 82ED on sale and couldn’t resist, but…

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Glendale, AZ

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:15 PM

I literally just received the Evolux 82ED and glad I ordered from Amazon because I am sending it back. It just feels cheap. My Svbony 102ED is better built as are my Williams Optics APO’s.

I only mention the Svbony since Skywatcher Evolux was supposed to be a semi-premium scope. I read reviews that stated the Evolux was heavy duty build compared to the Skywatcher 80ed so I was expecting something of similar quality build as my WO’s.

Anyhow I decided to take a look through it with my ES 68 20mm EP. The test was in daylight looking at my neighbor’s roof as I had done with an earlier EP test. In my other EP test I wanted to see how well the different EP’s handled CA when slightly out of focus. My Svbony 102ED is sharp and I can only see the purple fringe when out of focus and  pointed at bright object or bright/dark contrast point.

Skywatcher must have used the Incredible Hulk glass with this because when “IN FOCUS” and pointed at my neighbors roof tiles I saw this fluorescent green tint at edge of tile. I have never seen anything like this. I scanned across the rook top and every single tile had same green along the too edge and this was around 5:30pm here in sunny 😎 Glendale AZ.

Other issues I found were:

• Stiff primary focus.
  • Dual focus knob felt weird, kind of cheap.
  • The focus is hex type and does not feel heavy duty
  • I think the dew shield may be carbon fiber or some type of plastic. Either way it felt cheap.

I am not sure what else to say. I own several telescopes from different brands (budget to premium) and this one just looks and feels cheap.

Also, does Celestron own Skywatcher? I ask since the Evolux was shipped to Amazon from Celestron.

Attached Thumbnails

• FD617269-BE0E-4613-9468-EB44A8B368F6.jpeg

#2 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:19 PM

Some extras pics..

Attached Thumbnails

• E631FDA8-A5CE-4891-A9E5-9F7837C7139F.jpeg
  • 0705EDA0-CA78-4CA8-B0E1-011ACF4C02A6.jpeg

#3 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:20 PM

Last pic

Attached Thumbnails

• CFD34D79-DE01-4993-874E-7B4BFC363743.jpeg

• RichA likes this

#4 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:24 PM

Finally, the label on the main box.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4D7F099E-166E-4718-8250-846D3CEC8EE8.jpeg

#5 dnrmilspec

dnrmilspec

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:36 PM

Skywatcher and Celestron are both owned by Synta of China but operate as separate US outlets.  My older Skywatcher 80ED is heavy, strong and does not show a hint of false color unless pushed to absolutely absurd magnifications for a 3" scope.  The focuser is OK but no superstar. 

The part number on the box is Skywatcher.  No clue about the shipping address except that 475 Alaska Ave is Celestron's big facility and probably used  as a reshipping center.  Who knows. 

I know that Celestron has many of the same people working there that did long before Synta acquired it.

Edited by dnrmilspec, 30 May 2023 - 08:43 PM.

• Paul AZ and therealdmt like this

#6 barbarosa

barbarosa

Skylab

• Loc: Near San Francisco Bay

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:59 PM

Bad luck,mad.gif  but returns are easy.smile.gif

The Evolux line is priced well below the Evostar and Esprit lines and it does not specify the ED glass used. Some false color might be expected, but just some. But again, returns are easy.

Celestron does not own itself. If the corporate website is to be believed, then Synta founded Sky Watcher but bought Celestron. Celestron manages the inventory and shipping for Sky Watcher. When a dealer orders a S W for you he actually orders it from Celestron.

• Paul AZ likes this

#7 ris242

ris242

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:32 PM

Other issues I found were:

• Stiff primary focus.
  • Dual focus knob felt weird, kind of cheap.
  • The focus is hex type and does not feel heavy duty
  • I think the dew shield may be carbon fiber or some type of plastic. Either way it felt cheap.

I am not sure what else to say. I own several telescopes from different brands (budget to premium) and this one just looks and feels cheap.

everything you said made me think if I wanted a 80mm SW it would be the 80/600 Evostar ED

• Jon Isaacs, Paul AZ and ABQJeff like this

#8 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

In search of a village...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:36 PM

The Evolux feels like a scope with too many compromises made to get to a price point which is still way too expensive for what it offers. Same as the 72ED which I had in the past for a bit.

Since you are returning it, just grab the AT80EDT and get the CN discount as well. Comes with a nice hard case to protect your investment too.

Yes, a bit more, but you are set for both visual and AP. I have the 80EDL myself for visual and I love this scope! Built quality is outstanding on the whole scope range.

• Paul AZ, mrsjeff and dnrmilspec like this

#9 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Moderators

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:37 PM

everything you said made me think if I wanted a 80mm SW it would be the 80/600 Evostar ED

If one is sticking with SW and wants 80mm, then yes, the Evostar is a much better choice than the Evolux. Tried and tested. Focuser is so-so but it can be replaced.

• Paul AZ and ABQJeff like this

#10 dnrmilspec

dnrmilspec

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:45 PM

You motivated me to grab my 80mm F7.5ED Skywatcher and take a look at the moon.  Vixen 4mm Lanthanum EP was on my desk along with the 21 Pentax XL so I grabbed them.  AT 150X the scope showed no false color at all.  Snapped right to focus.  The wind was blowing pretty hard so I did not linger nor push it harder though I have in the past with great results.  It is, for sure, a keeper. 

I just wanted to double check because I made a claim or two a couple of posts up the thread.

I agree with Knicknacknock that the AT 80 triplet is the hot ticket for the money.  AT calls it "the Swiss Army Knife of refractors" and I tend to agree.  Everyone needs a fast 80.  For the money it is a great value.

• Paul AZ, nicknacknock and ABQJeff like this

#11 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Moderators

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:35 PM

The SW 80 ED is just one of those scopes that unfailingly work. I think the OP would be very well served by one of those and the only reason I recommended the AT80EDT is that out of the box it needs no upgrades / improvements and just works. Good for visual, good for imaging. A good all rounder at the aperture.

• Paul AZ likes this

#12 Sheridan

Sheridan

Vanguard

• Loc: Houston Tx.

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:59 PM

If it wasn't for the fact that I already own an sv503 80mm I would probably go with the SV550 which is a triplet. I really like the Svbony scopes.
  • Paul AZ likes this

#13 ABQJeff

ABQJeff

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 31 May 2023 - 01:25 AM

The Skywatcher Evostar 80ED is better than the Evolux 82, but the AT80EDL*, TS, WO or SV Access 80mm F/7 FPL-53 doublet options are better still (especially if for visual in the 500mm+ length class).  Depending on needs (shorter FL and/or AP), an 80 mm F/6 triplet could even be a better choice.  There are some fine FPL-53 80mm F/6 triplets.

But in the end any 80mm is better than no 80mm.  Even the “pedestrian” ST80 has its charm/special utility.

* - Have to get on classifieds now

Edited by ABQJeff, 31 May 2023 - 01:25 AM.

• Paul AZ likes this

#14 25585

ISS

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 31 May 2023 - 06:52 AM

The Evolux seems similar to my 80 ED Equinox, but in white & green. The Equinox has some false colour, more than the regular 80ED, but is faster and it has a revolvable 2" focuser. Its my in-car refractor as can double as a spotter and goes on lighter tripods etc. Colour correction is a bit less than my TV 85, both not quite as good as a Vixen SD81S though.

Edited by 25585, 31 May 2023 - 06:53 AM.

• Paul AZ likes this

#15 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2023 - 07:47 AM

If it wasn't for the fact that I already own an sv503 80mm I would probably go with the SV550 which is a triplet. I really like the Svbony scopes.

I also ordered the Svbony 550 80mm f6 telescope and it arrives tomorrow. I know it has been on sale for less, but at $699 it was still a good deal. I am sure I can use my WO .8x adjustable focal reducer with it and set the backfocus about the same as with a GT81. waytogo.gif  

#16 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 May 2023 - 11:30 AM

The Evolux line is built to a lower price point and made lighter than the Evostar series mainly for imaging,Dave.

• Paul AZ likes this

#17 Oldfracguy

Oldfracguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 31 May 2023 - 04:30 PM

I bought a brand new Evolux 82 several weeks ago, and sent it right back the next day.  The new dual-speed rack-and-pinion focusers, on paper at least, look better than the old dual-speed Crayfords on the Evostar ED series scopes.  Well, that Evolux 82 focuser was so poorly made I couldn't even get the scope set up to see whether or not the new objective lens, from a new supplier, was any better than the old Evostars.  Also, the spec says this scope has a collimatable objective cell.  That is not true at all, and was the basis for the vendor having given me a full refund within hours after having received the scope back.  I was intending to get a William Optics Zenithstar 81, but wanted to save some money and see what these new Sky-Watcher Evolux scopes were like.  Bad mistake frown.gif  . 

Edited by Oldfracguy, 31 May 2023 - 04:30 PM.

• Paul AZ likes this

#18 FingerMullet

FingerMullet

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Relocated US now - Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic

Posted 31 May 2023 - 07:52 PM

But in the end any 80mm is better than no 80mm.  Even the “pedestrian” ST80 has its charm/special utility.

Hey, no dissing the ST80.  Best, fun and light $99 ota there is.  Put it in backpack and forget it is there. Drop it, no biggie, we can fix it.  tongue2.gif

8 lbs with everything, tripod, amici dia with helical focuser, rings, dove tail, 20" of bullet proof fun  ...  day or night.  7.4 lbs without the crazy powerful laser pointer.

ST80 2.jpg

• Paul AZ, Binojunky, nicknacknock and 2 others like this

#19 ABQJeff

ABQJeff

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 31 May 2023 - 11:41 PM

Hey, no dissing the ST80.  Best, fun and light $99 ota there is.  Put it in backpack and forget it is there. Drop it, no biggie, we can fix it.  tongue2.gif

8 lbs with everything, tripod, amici dia with helical focuser, rings, dove tail, 20" of bullet proof fun  ...  day or night.  7.4 lbs without the crazy powerful laser pointer.

attachicon.gif ST80 2.jpg

No dissing intended.  That is why I put pedestrian in ' ' .  The ST80 is a great wide field/rich field deep sky scope.  I love its ST120 big brother.

• Paul AZ and mrsjeff like this

#20 sehoon104

sehoon104

Explorer 1

Posted 19 June 2023 - 05:24 PM

Exactly what I felt using the evolux. I had the 62 version, but it seems like 82 is about the same quality. I haven't seen major CA for two evolux 62 I've used, so I think glass is okay. But the wobbly focuser is really problematic because you get the annoying tilt in images.

#21 Wolfwatcher

Wolfwatcher

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Denver Colorado

Posted 02 August 2023 - 11:35 PM

I just bought my second Evolux 82ed. The reason? Price. On sale for $629. I previously owned one and indeed had focus trouble. The fine focus knob simply started spinning with nothing focusing. Took it apart, found a tiny set screw that needed tightening, and it started to work properly. Still, it bothered me since the scope was only a few months old at the time. Then I read someone somewhere on this site say that the focuser would not hold a 2" diagonal with a moderately heavy 2" eyepiece, while in a vertical position. True. I have a iOptron Cube Pro and it requires a vertical position to start alignment. The Evolux focuser could not hold it with a loose tension screw on top. Then I discovered it also has a tension screw on the bottom. Lightly tensioning both solved the problem immediately, and focuser still worked smoothly.

But I bought the second one, simply put, for the superb optics (I am a visual user only) for the money. Who knows to this day what the glass is (it isn't FPL-53!). But, for my old eyes, this thing delivers very sharp and color distortion-free views. At least based on what I can look at these days from my urban, light-polluted backyard. 

I think the Evolux line, which really was designed for astrophotographers, is a pretty good deal with a bad rap. Unlike several others here, I do not find the scope reeking of cheap construction. I have owned a TV 76 which I liked very much. Yes, the screws on the clam shell on the Evolux can fall right out quickly if loosened too much when adjusting the OTA. That is unlikely to happen on the TV. But I've also owned the Evostar 80, the latest version of the Orion 80ST, etc., and I find the build quality on the Evolux certainly in the ballpark with all of the latter models. But the TV 76 costs three times what the Evolux cost me. It had better be better! Still, it came with no clam shell for the OTA, just the soft case (there is an optional package with accessories). The clamshell, which must be bought separately for the TV is included with the Evolux. So is a hard case.

Visually, I went back to the EvoLux even with its known problems because I can easily deal with them and the views for me are simply excellent. A little more light gathering than the TV 76 and 2 shoes for Orion-style finders of any kind, not just the RDF. There is a lot to like about this refractor. The Evolux 82ed punches above its weight for me in performance and value.

Edited by Wolfwatcher, 03 August 2023 - 08:45 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics