•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Slik U9000 tripod for $35 shipped

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:01 PM

I am looking for an inexpensive tripod for my Oberwerks 15x70 and came across this model. Rated at 4.4lbs. Photographers seem to like it but found no info for binos. Anybody try it?

http://www.amazon.co...=glance&s=photo

Ron

#2 AJTony

AJTony

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:40 PM

Not having experience with the tripod in question, please accept this as an opinion. I agree the price is right, but it may be a heavy duty tripod as seen in the eyes of a camera buff. My choice for tripod purchase is to go to a company that sells what I want to support on the tripod.

Therefore, I would purchase from a binocular/telescope company, like Orion for example. Of course this really kicks up the price. My humble suggestion is to try it out, knowing that Amazon usually has a reasonable return policy(you can download their return label).

Since I regularly use binos on tripods, my other concern is that the maximum height of the tripod is important, especially when you view objects above 45 degrees. I tend to prefer full extensions of 67-70 inches.

AJ

#3 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 09 June 2004 - 12:32 AM

Ron,

Basically I agree with AJs advice here.

I'm sure most experienced users would think the same way.

My advice is "Don't skimp on a tripod and mount -- get the very best you can afford"

Maximum height useability is very important and 4.4 lbs is too light a rating for 15 x 70s binos to be handled with ease.

It really will make THAT much difference. Trust me.

Regards , Kenny.

#4 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 09 June 2004 - 01:42 AM

Slik U9000 lightweight versatile tripod has a maximum height of 59 inches ...(Too short)

Slik Pro 700DX AMT-Titanium Alloy Tripod with 3-Way Pan Head (Maximum Height 74.8", Supports up to 15 lbs)

http://www.adorama.com/SL700D.html

#5 craig_oz_land

craig_oz_land

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 09 June 2004 - 03:21 AM

Bare with my long story and I think you will have a better feel for the issue.

At the moment I am using a Russian hardwood surveyors tripod (which weighs a ton) and a Bogen/Manfrotto grip action ball head for my 22x60 Taks.

Let me tell you that this setup still has objectionable wobble when I have my eyes resting on the eyepieces.

At first I was using a normal binocular L mount to the ball grip head and it was woefull. Then I looked at the ugly Tak L adapter and realised why it was so solid and ugly. I fitted and it was a big improvement but still the wobbles were objectionable.

I discovered that most of the wobble is now coming from the rubber washer used to clamp the bino hinge to the L adapter. I will now make up another bracket to replace the Tak L adapter and use a fibre or plastic washer for the attachement to the bino hinge.

Things to keep in mind.

1) The Taks are 22x, yours are 15x, so there wont be as much wobble.
2) The Taks are 4lb 10oz, the Obes are 3.1 lbs.
3) The Taks are longer.
4) Are you going to be using it fully extended. It will wobble more the higher it is.
5) I have found the Bogen/Manfrotto photo tripods to be more solid than the Slik tripods I have seen.

I suggest you try before you buy unless you can send them back for a refund. And all of the previous advice of not skimping etc.

It is no good if you buy something you are not satisfied with and end up not enjoying the equipment because of that.

Lets us know how you go.

Cheers, Craig.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 June 2004 - 06:15 AM

Credit card is back in the wallet. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Ron

#7 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 09 June 2004 - 07:48 AM

I have a Slik U212. Even that is a lightweight tripod when it comes to mounting binoculars. It's still too short, but do-able. Its fine for 10x50s and 12x50s, but gets a little shaky with 15x70s and 16x60s.

One thing I will say, I've had the U212 for 20 years and the leg lock mechanism still works just fine. The leg lock knurled knob on my Orion HD-F2 cracked after 3 years.

edz

#8 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:15 AM

If that Silk is a "Heavy Duty" tripod, than just attach wheels to my grandmother and call her a truck. You know department store telescopes are sold by magnification, cheap tripods are sold with "Heavy Duty."

Try looking at Manfrotto/Bogen. They are reasonable and very good quality. A good tripod will last a lifetime. Don't skimp here.

Forget legs that use a channel design. The legs should be made from tubes. Plastic should not be used for joint at the top of the legs. Get a tripod that the head can be exchanged. The head is as important as the legs. Choose each to fit your needs.

BTW, REAL photographer do not use Silk tripods. Purely amateur junk. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but Silk/Sunpack/Tilt-All/Star-D and a host of other have sold such bad equipment using the words "Pro," "Professional," and "Heavy duty," that it is not funny. Manufacturers of department store telescopes are almost honest compared to these tripod companies. :rant:

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:30 AM

Well said Wilash. Although I have not used every one of the tripod manufacturers you listed, I have suspected that they are cheaply crafted based on appearance and marketing style. " A good tripod will last a lifetime. Don't skimp here." is excellent advice. But some, including myself, can't afford the very best, but one can still be sensible without much sacrificing of quality. So, Ron please be advised shopping for an appropriate tripod/head for you...and have fun while doing it.

#10 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 09 June 2004 - 11:28 AM

Vanguard has a 64" Tripod, that handles 15x70's pretty decent. I have seen them for around $25.....

#11 werewolf6977

werewolf6977

Lord High Smasher

Posted 09 June 2004 - 12:04 PM

tell me about "heavy duty" tripods. I bought one from Wal-MArt for $39.95, and all I can say is it beats (barely) hand-holding the Skymasters. Pete BTW, am lusting after a Sunpak 7500, but must save my pennies first.

#12 Mogster

Mogster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 June 2004 - 12:46 PM

The Vanguard 558 goes to 70 inches its probably a better bet.

http://www.thetwiste...07624&source=ep

I'd try one out, they are cheap enough to bin if I dont like it. Unfortunately no one in the UK stocks that particular tripod, shipping from the US at the cheapest will be $70-£100 so a cheap tripod suddenly becomes much dearer.

If anyone knows where I can pick one of these up in the UK then please let me know. Argos stock a shorter cheaper Vanguard but not the 558.

MOG

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 June 2004 - 01:35 PM

Just dropped by Wolfcamera and they had a couple of models that weigh in at 6-7 pounds, 70 inches tall, and rated at up to 11 pounds. Seemed stable. One was $79 and the other $99.

Question: How important is the center bracing for the legs?

http://www.wolfcamer...ductId=13098402

http://www.wolfcamer...ductId=13098401

Both are made by Sunpak.

Ron

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 June 2004 - 07:45 PM

Any suggestions on what to look for?

#15 craig_oz_land

craig_oz_land

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:51 PM

Any suggestions on what to look for?

I would take your binocs with you and the adapter and try them on a few tripods if you can.

Cheers, Craig.

#16 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:19 PM

I had the "Slik Pro 700DX AMT-Titanium Alloy Tripod with 3-Way Pan Head" that Apollo 11 mentioned above.

No elevator but it's a very stable and well made tripod for the money. Hardly any plastic. Go see on in person if you can find one. I only got rid of it because I got a great deal on a Bogen.

Regards,
Stacy

Attached Thumbnails

• 123625-Bino1 000.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics