•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Swapping UV/IR cut window for AR window on ZWO planetary camera?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 neovenator1

neovenator1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2023 - 02:49 AM

Hello all. This is my first time posting on this site.

I use an asi178mc for planetary and lunar imaging. The glass which protects the sensor on this camera is uv/ir cut, meaning I cannot do any infrared imaging because the infrared is filtered out. I would like to be able to use various red and infrared filters, particularly for lunar imaging.
I’ve heard that it’s possible to remove this glass and swap it for anti-reflective glass which doesn’t filter out anything, and I’ve seen this glass available to buy from ZWO. Regarding this I have two questions:

Firstly, will I actually be able to do IR imaging if I simply replace the filter with AR glass and use IR pass filters? Like any other IR-sensitive planetary camera? If it’s so simple then why did the camera need to come with a uv/ir cut in the first place?

Second, how am I supposed to go about replacing it? I’ve searched far and wide and I can’t seem to find any tutorials or descriptions of how the glass is removed and the new glass fitted in. I’d like to understand the process of swapping the glass before I buy it.

Thanks.

gallery_452123_22745_2485889.png

Edited by frank5817, 03 June 2023 - 12:19 PM.
image resized

#2 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Cosmos

• Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 03 June 2023 - 11:23 AM

I use an asi178mc for planetary and lunar imaging. The glass which protects the sensor on this camera is uv/ir cut, meaning I cannot do any infrared imaging because the infrared is filtered out. I would like to be able to use various red and infrared filters, particularly for lunar imaging.
I’ve heard that it’s possible to remove this glass and swap it for anti-reflective glass which doesn’t filter out anything, and I’ve seen this glass available to buy from ZWO. Regarding this I have two questions:

Firstly, will I actually be able to do IR imaging if I simply replace the filter with AR glass and use IR pass filters? Like any other IR-sensitive planetary camera? If it’s so simple then why did the camera need to come with a uv/ir cut in the first place?

Second, how am I supposed to go about replacing it? I’ve searched far and wide and I can’t seem to find any tutorials or descriptions of how the glass is removed and the new glass fitted in. I’d like to understand the process of swapping the glass before I buy it.

Thanks.

It takes some hunting but ZWO does have photo directions for changing the windows on their planetary cameras. Yes if you us the AR window then an IR Pass filter gets you there. The AR window is still a problem for UV imaging though, as I understand it.

#3 RMay

RMay

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NorCal

Posted 03 June 2023 - 08:00 PM

Welcome, and clear skies to you…

Ron

#4 DirtyRod

DirtyRod

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 03 June 2023 - 09:38 PM

Easy to change the window. As mentioned, ZWO and Agena Astro sell both the windows. I’ve swapped windows on ZWO cameras a few times.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics