•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Seeking Input: AT80ED vs. AT80EDT

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 14 September 2023 - 05:58 AM

" The views were sharp, but the thing I noticed most about the f/6 triplet was the increased Field Curvature I could definitely see.  I wasn't using a flattener such as a TSFLAT2, and the Field Curvature really makes its presence known.  The other thing was that this scope had less focuser travel than the 80mm f/7 ED Doublets, and I needed an extension tube for some daytime terrestrial viewing at fairly close range.  All of those observations pertain to visual use, and I would have to conclude that the AT80EDL, or its clones that are still available like the TS-Optics 80mm f/7 FPL-53 Doublet:"

Make sense to me..

waytogo.gif

Main reason i got the AT80ED as FC drives me nuts.  I don't see any reason to get the faster version as i don't image.

• Oldfracguy and RCLARK28 like this

#52 RCLARK28

RCLARK28

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Posted 14 September 2023 - 06:47 AM

Sorry, I forgot to include my experience with an 80mm f/6 "EDT"-type triplet, and it parallels what others have reported.

Earlier this year I wanted to see how one of these 80mm ED triplets would compare to an "EDL"-type 80mm Doublet, and I found a very slightly used SvBONY SV550 80mm f/6 ED Triplet:

attachicon.gif 101_2206.JPG

This scope has an FPL-51 center element, which is the optical equivalent of the "regular ED" glass used in the AT80EDT and the other ATxxxEDT scopes.  The views were sharp, but the thing I noticed most about the f/6 triplet was the increased Field Curvature I could definitely see.  I wasn't using a flattener such as a TSFLAT2, and the Field Curvature really makes its presence known.  The other thing was that this scope had less focuser travel than the 80mm f/7 ED Doublets, and I needed an extension tube for some daytime terrestrial viewing at fairly close range.  All of those observations pertain to visual use, and I would have to conclude that the AT80EDL, or its clones that are still available like the TS-Optics 80mm f/7 FPL-53 Doublet:

attachicon.gif 101_2039.JPG

or the William Optics Zenithstar 81 81mm f/6.9 FPL-53 Doublet:

attachicon.gif 101_2499.JPG

would be preferred for visual observation.

If I can ask an amateur question...What mount is presented in these photographs?

I am looking at getting one more mount for a grab and go base for my AT80ED.

NOTE: This is a good thread for comparison data of these awesome refractors. My neighbor has a AT80EDL and will never part with it. When I observe with her those scopes by AT really are sharp. I will be forever grateful to astronomics for providing a quality product. You can NOT go wrong with them. I recommend anyone getting into the hobby to save and seriously look at astronomics.com for a scope. The SvBony offers are gaining traction and I have seen many lately that show some value.

*It is nice to have so many options for entry level and above in astronomy today.

Sorry for the side track here! All have a great day and clear skies to you...Rick

#53 Oldfracguy

Oldfracguy

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 September 2023 - 12:21 PM

If I can ask an amateur question...What mount is presented in these photographs?

I am looking at getting one more mount for a grab and go base for my AT80ED.

NOTE: This is a good thread for comparison data of these awesome refractors. My neighbor has a AT80EDL and will never part with it. When I observe with her those scopes by AT really are sharp. I will be forever grateful to astronomics for providing a quality product. You can NOT go wrong with them. I recommend anyone getting into the hobby to save and seriously look at astronomics.com for a scope. The SvBony offers are gaining traction and I have seen many lately that show some value.

*It is nice to have so many options for entry level and above in astronomy today.

Sorry for the side track here! All have a great day and clear skies to you...Rick

The mount shown in the photo below is this one, a Sky-Watcher AZ Pronto:

https://www.teleskop...mit-Stativ.html

101_2499.JPG

The main reason I like this particular manual Alt-Az mount is because you can mount the scope with its Vixen/CG-5 dovetail rail on the bottom.  Before I got the SW AZ Pronto I had a Sky-Watcher AZ5 "Heavy Duty" Alt-Az mount, shown below:

101_1874.JPG

The SW AZ5 "Heavy Duty" mount comes with the same stainless steel 1.75" tripod legs and eyepiece tray/leg brace as the Celestron CG-4 GEM, while the "regular" SW AZ5 mount comes with the same lightweight tripod as the SW AZ Pronto.  The problem with the SW AZ5, as well as some other medium-capacity Alt-Az mounts like the Vixen Porta II and Explore Sciientific Twilight I, when mounting small refractors like the AT60ED, AT72EDII and the AT70ED (shown below) with their dovetail rails on the side, is that their focuser knobs often hit the side of the mount, preventing the scopes from being able to move forward enough on the mount to balance fore and aft:

101_1985.JPG

A lot of people just rotate the scope in its tube rings so the focuser axis is vertical, such as when using a mount like the SW AZ-GTi that has GoTo and tracking.  On the other hand, for many folks it's nice to have the scope mounted with its focuser axis horizontal, like the AT72EDII below:

101_2445.JPG

Edited by Oldfracguy, 14 September 2023 - 05:14 PM.

• RCLARK28 likes this

#54 Oldfracguy

Oldfracguy

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 September 2023 - 12:27 PM

The SW AZ Pronto mount head, like that of the SW AZ5, is threaded for a 3/8"-16 bolt that attaches it to the tripod.  The AZ Pronto tripod, the same one sold with the regular SW AZ5 and SW AZ-GTi mounts, comes with a plastic accessory tray, but it does not have any holes to store eyepieces.  So, I initially used the tripod from my AZ5, which does have holes for eyepieces, to attach the AZ Pronto mount head:

101_2039.JPG

Soon after that I remedied that situation by using a 1.25" hole saw to drill six 1.25" holes in the accessory tray on the AZ Pronto tripod:

101_2092.JPG

so I could store 1,25" eyepieces conveniently again:

101_2093.JPG

• RCLARK28 likes this

#55 RCLARK28

RCLARK28

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 September 2023 - 05:14 PM

Thank you Oldfracguy for the detailed response. That data is exactly what I needed for my next project. Appreciate the information.

Cear skies to all.

Rick

• Oldfracguy and truckerfromaustin like this

#56 Seablues

Seablues

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 October 2023 - 10:23 AM

I ordered one ad80edt from Astronomics. Waiting for it to be shipped.

• Moondust, scout and RCLARK28 like this

#57 RCLARK28

RCLARK28

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 October 2023 - 11:41 AM

I ordered one ad80edt from Astronomics. Waiting for it to be shipped.

Congratulations, you will not be disappointed. A good decision, I have been VERY happy with Astronomics to say the least.

• scout likes this

#58 72Nova

72Nova

Supernova

• -----
  • Loc: Coachella Valley, CA

Posted 27 October 2023 - 12:42 PM

I really enjoy my AT80ED for casual, wide field visual use.

Attached Thumbnails

• 44561F8C-967A-4D13-9B29-09776C194BFC.jpeg

• Moondust, Cpk133 and RCLARK28 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics