•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO Seestar S50

• Please log in to reply
1413 replies to this topic

#1401 Tailspin45

Tailspin45

Messenger

• Loc: Carlsbad CA, near San Diego (Bortle 8)

Posted 18 May 2024 - 08:41 AM

Object Tracking in Scenety Mode now working with update 1.19

Bought Seestar about a month ago and Object Tracking didn't track.

Neighbor bought one about a week ago, his didn't track either.

We both updated yesterday and Object Tracking now works.

#1402 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Voyager 1

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 18 May 2024 - 09:21 AM

Thanks, I haven't read of anyone else having issues after 1.18.0 either, so maybe it's just my Seestar acting up. It's been doing strange things on solar and lunar images as well, but that's for another thread. 

More Seestar weirdness; a few days ago I updated the software to 1.19.0, and then went and updated the firmware to whatever new version that is. Today I looked at the "What's Fresh" under About in the tools, and the latest software version displayed is 1.18.0. I clicked on what's new and it took me to the App Store where it shows that I have the latest update. This is on my iPhone 15 Pro Max. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 10.16.39 AM.jpeg

Edited by Doug Culbertson, 18 May 2024 - 02:00 PM.

#1403 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Voyager 1

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 18 May 2024 - 09:36 AM

More Seestar weirdness; a few days ago I updated the software to 1.19.0, and then went and updated the firmware to whatever new version that is. Today I looked at the "What's Fresh" under About in the tools, and the latest software version displayed is 1.18.0. I clicked on what's new and it took me to the App Store where it shows that I have the latest update. This is on my iPhone 18 Pro Max. 

Well, I overlooked the top of the "About" screen which shows version 1.19.0. Still odd. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 10.33.04 AM.jpeg

#1404 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 May 2024 - 01:02 PM

Well, I overlooked the top of the "About" screen which shows version 1.19.0. Still odd. 

Just checked and mine is the same. They must have forgot to add the “What’s fresh” part to the update. 

#1405 redbaron12

redbaron12

Messenger

• Loc: Guilderland, NY

Posted 19 May 2024 - 07:28 AM

Dumb question.  We know these are a recommended accessory however they is a big diparity in prices.  I admit, I bought the one with a "name" on it and paid almost twice this.  Just curious if anyone bought the ceapo version and what they think of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

• fototakerTony likes this

#1406 DennisAndLisa

DennisAndLisa

Explorer 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 19 May 2024 - 07:53 AM

Hi...In installed a leveling base on my Seestar. I have noticed that there is just a very slight wiggle from where the bottom screw attachment is on the Sesstar's base. It is screwed in nice and snug, but I noticed a slight wiggle (left to right) that appears to be  is coming from the bottom rotation motor that slightly protrudes out, where the screw hole is located for attaching the seestar base to the leveling base.  I'm just wondering if this is normal and if anyone else has the same experience.

Thank you

Dennis

#1407 astrokeith

astrokeith

Vanguard

• Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 19 May 2024 - 08:00 AM

Hi...In installed a leveling base on my Seestar. I have noticed that there is just a very slight wiggle from where the bottom screw attachment is on the Sesstar's base. It is screwed in nice and snug, but I noticed a slight wiggle (left to right) that appears to be  is coming from the bottom rotation motor that slightly protrudes out, where the screw hole is located for attaching the seestar base to the leveling base.  I'm just wondering if this is normal and if anyone else has the same experience.

Thank you

Dennis

Yes, thats the inherent backlash. You should feel the same on the altitude axis.

#1408 Regulus 1.36

Regulus 1.36

Messenger

• Loc: Sycamore, Illinois.

Posted 19 May 2024 - 08:05 AM

Dumb question.  We know these are a recommended accessory however they is a big diparity in prices.  I admit, I bought the one with a "name" on it and paid almost twice this.  Just curious if anyone bought the ceapo version and what they think of it.

I bought one from eBay for $24, and based on the images I've seen, it appears to be the same product from the same manufacturer, sold by different vendors. The quality of what I received was excellent. 

Edited by Regulus 1.36, 19 May 2024 - 08:06 AM.

• redbaron12 and Stach like this

#1409 davidgmd

davidgmd

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 19 May 2024 - 08:29 AM

I also got a cheap one. It appears identical to the more expensive versions friends have, feels just as solid, and works fine.

• redbaron12 and fototakerTony like this

#1410 DennisAndLisa

DennisAndLisa

Explorer 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 19 May 2024 - 08:41 AM

Thank you Astrokieth

#1411 fototakerTony

fototakerTony

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: western New York

Posted 20 May 2024 - 03:21 PM

My wife liked these and we picked up two, one for her seeStar and one for me. I don't use mine much as my seeStar is mounted on a tripod that comes equipped with a "leveling bowl" which is so simple and easier to use.

Regarding recent updates, my seeStar focused well yesterday getting me a great Sun image - first time use in weeks due to rain, clouds etc for no clear nights - and when I tap to view the details of each seeStar update has - displays NOTHiNG but a broken android robot [not all of the android robot].

BUT I have a question which I have no idea where I can ask: My wife and I have each our own seeStar. I know most of y'all have real telescopes and such. We wanted to get one BUT all the separate pieces. The motor to get it auto-pointing to a DSO. The weight and setup of such scope....  I've just downloaded the Skyportal app and am impressed by how it looks and operates. What I'd like to ask is IF I picked up a telescope without a motor, with this app, I could still guide the telescope to the DSO I selected? BUT I suspect I'd have to keep the telescope moving manually too, right? I just would love to get some sharper images!

If I've posted wrong, just say the word and I'll delete this. Thanks in advance!!

#1412 davidgmd

davidgmd

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 20 May 2024 - 05:04 PM

My wife liked these and we picked up two, one for her seeStar and one for me. I don't use mine much as my seeStar is mounted on a tripod that comes equipped with a "leveling bowl" which is so simple and easier to use.

Regarding recent updates, my seeStar focused well yesterday getting me a great Sun image - first time use in weeks due to rain, clouds etc for no clear nights - and when I tap to view the details of each seeStar update has - displays NOTHiNG but a broken android robot [not all of the android robot].

BUT I have a question which I have no idea where I can ask: My wife and I have each our own seeStar. I know most of y'all have real telescopes and such. We wanted to get one BUT all the separate pieces. The motor to get it auto-pointing to a DSO. The weight and setup of such scope....  I've just downloaded the Skyportal app and am impressed by how it looks and operates. What I'd like to ask is IF I picked up a telescope without a motor, with this app, I could still guide the telescope to the DSO I selected? BUT I suspect I'd have to keep the telescope moving manually too, right? I just would love to get some sharper images!

If I've posted wrong, just say the word and I'll delete this. Thanks in advance!!

The Seestar cast the lure and is about to set the hook.

You can get a scope and a mount without motors and, by adding encoders and a Nexus digital setting circle device, link it to a planetarium app like Skyportal or Sky Safari. Or attach a Pifinder to use plate solving to find objects. I believe that too will work with planetarium apps. Without motors, you’ll have to keep nudging the scope or moving the mount with slo-mo cables to keep the target in the field of view. You can probably get decent images of planets with a smartphone, but you won’t be able to get pictures of dim DSOs like nebulae.

If you want sharper images of DSOs, you’ll probably need a dedicated astrophotography setup with a high quality equatorial motorized tracking mount, solid tripod, imaging scope, filters, an astrophotography camera, and software and a fast PC to process the images. See the Beginning Deep Sky Imaging forum to get started. The possibilities are endless.  

If you want a turnkey system that’s similar in simplicity to the Seestar, a larger aperture smart scope like the Celestron Origin 6” RASA (Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph) should at least theoretically offer significantly greater resolution. But it’s still in pre-order status.

• FebStars and fototakerTony like this

#1413 rrpallechio

rrpallechio

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tumwater, WA, USA

Posted 20 May 2024 - 06:12 PM

If you want the convenience of an app but without the motors check out the Celestron Starsense Explorer telescopes at https://www.celestro...bled-telescopes

• davidgmd likes this

#1414 fototakerTony

fototakerTony

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: western New York

Posted 20 May 2024 - 06:21 PM

The Seestar cast the lure and is about to set the hook.

Hooked and reHooked indeed!

Thanks for your information. It's as I thought...  During the 2017 partial eclipse, we were setup with homemade filters and every few minutes, moved to realign the eclipse to keep it centered. What a pain! OK, will stick with the seeStars till they make a higher res model. Thanks again!

• davidgmd likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics