•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pop Quiz: What is your preferred FOV?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 June 2004 - 12:23 PM

Well said Mike. I could hardly agree with you more. It really is a tough issue when you look at cost vs. performance. I myself have flip-flopped often on the decision of getting Oberwerk's BT-100 (with the appropriate mounting) OR using that money to purchase a sweet telescope. I am such a diehard bino user (so far)...and my money account painfully reminds me of that fact.

#27 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 11 June 2004 - 02:35 PM

NW,

As I mentioned before, we are not far away. Very soon school is out and my kids will go spend the summer with mom. I invite you to come on down for a night and relish the views thru the BT100s.

I already have about 5 pair of eyepieces. But, I bet if we talked, between us we could double up a few more. Plenty to compare the views to.

edz

#28 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 June 2004 - 02:55 PM

I would love to do that Ed! This summer will be extra busy for me, but with planning, I could definitely secure a weekend night that's good for both of us. I'll send a private message with my contact information.

Thanks for invitation.

#29 craig_oz_land

craig_oz_land

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 12 June 2004 - 06:50 PM

Gary,

Aren't AFOV and magnification the only things one has to consider ideally in a "fixed" eyepiece binocular in terms of image scale?

#30 Garfield

Garfield

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 12 June 2004 - 10:40 PM

Aren't AFOV and magnification the only things one has to consider ideally in a "fixed" eyepiece binocular in terms of image scale?

Hi Craig;

Although a wide AFOV is certainly one of the keys to "esthetically pleasing" views, the TFOV is critical to being able to take in extended objects.

For example, even if I use the widest AFOV 1.25" eyepieces in the Oberwerk BT100, the TFOV is only 2.63° which is not wide enough to take in the Andromeda Galaxy which spans over 3°.

If you play with the math (AFOV=TFOV*MAG), and keep in mind the widest AFOV of most binoculars are in the 66° range, you will quickly discover the limitations of large aperture binoculars for viewing extended objects...which was the reason for my initial post.

Gary

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics