•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Short Report on Meade 5000 24mm UWA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#1 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus, a.k.a. Scanning4Comets

• topic starter

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

I Just got back inside from a short test on the Meade 5000 24mm UWA. I must say that this eyepiece is in a class of its own. I should have let my 8" telescope cool down longer then the 45 minutes, but the view was *AMAZING* nevertheless.
I looked at the Double Cluster, M-31 and M-45 tonight.
Pinpoint stars right to the edge of the field in this eyepiece had me gasping for air....and no field curvature was present as far as I could see!!!

Now I *KNOW* why an 82° FOV is so addictive. After trying out the 24mm UWA, I slapped in my 7mm Pentax XW and the FOV looked quite small compared to the 82° FOV in the 24mm UWA. :bigshock:
I'm not knocking the 7mm XW because the FOV on the XW's are ultra flat from edge to edge, but now I'm thinking that I need to get two more eyepieces in the 82° FOV to make it all equal !!!
Looks like I'll become a NEW Meade or Nagler convert....and join the ranks of green lettering you guys !!!
Another thing that was really cool was being able to *STILL* see the entire double Cluster in the FOV with the 24mm UWA and my 2" Barlow at 100x :shocked: :bigshock:

well that's my story and I am sticking to it !!! the meade 24mm 5000 UWA is a big winner :waytogo: :whee:

I'd love to get a 5mm Nagler T6 and another *AHEM* *cough* 14mm UWA or even a 13mm Nagler T6. I'm definitely going to sell my 7mm Pentax XW in favour of an 82° Immersive FOV !!!

Well....back to my report...I'm very happy with the 24mm UWA and I'm now happy to say that I'm back to the addictive 82° FOV !!!...There really *IS* a huge difference to my eyes from 70° FOV to 82° FOV when you look through those eyepieces !!!
24mm UWA-----------> :bow: :bow: :bow:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1307167-DSC00537.JPG

#2 erik

erik

telescope surgeon

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:42 PM

nice report, markus- congrats on the new eyepiece!!! :jump:

#3 Albie

Albie

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:46 PM

Good to hear Mark.I'm glad you like it :waytogo:It's too bad about the pentax though.
What's going on with your finderscope?I can't quite make out what you've done in the picture.

#4 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

• topic starter

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:55 PM

As for the Pentax, I just noticed how small the FOV was after looking through the mighty 24mm UWA :bow: I just noticed how I love that 82° FOV, that's all !!! as for my finderscope, there is a telrad on the top of it for more comfortable viewing through it without having to crane your neck when near or at the zenith, it is covered in duct tape and on the EP of the finder is some foam to rest my nose & cheek on to keep eye placement in a steady place.

#5 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:26 AM

another *AHEM* *cough* 14mm UWA (Quote)

:roflmao: Uhhh, how many will this make? :lol:

Sure like mine :grin:

Ah Mark, at least we get to "test" all the eyepieces with you!

Carol

Attached Thumbnails

• 1307855-8.gif

#6 Albie

Albie

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:02 AM

Pretty soon Mark will be in the Guinness Book of Records.
"Ontario man sets world record for the most Meade 4000 14mm UWA's bought and sold by an individual amateur astronomer".News at 11. :grin:

#7 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:22 PM

Is that really news? I think we all knew it would happen eventually. :whistle:

#8 Talstarone

Talstarone

Lunar Man

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:39 PM

Awesome report and Review, Markus. The more I hear and observe through the Meade Series 5000 eyepieces, the more of a convert I am becoming. I think you feel exactally the same way, Especially in letting go of a Beautiful Pentax like you are. I am curious Markus, how was the eye relief and the usefullness of the eye cup on your new 24mm UWA?

#9 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:24 PM

Awesome report and Review, Markus. The more I hear and observe through the Meade Series 5000 eyepieces, the more of a convert I am becoming. I think you feel exacly the same way, Especially in letting go of a Beautiful Pentax like you are. I am curious Markus, how was the eye relief and the usefullness of the eye cup on your new 24mm UWA?

I really love the Pentax, don't get me wrong. The FOV is virtually flawless in these yepieces. My master plan though is to get two Uwans. One 7mm and also a 4mm. As for the eye relief on the 24mm UWA, I'd say it was close to 12mm Like the Naglers. I screw the eyecup up on the 24mm UWA close to about 1/4" and you can see the entire FOV like that.

#10 DeepSpaceTour

DeepSpaceTour

Gemini

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:17 PM

Nice report Mark.I would think twice about selling the 7 MM XW, remember you are comparing 24 MM 82 degree AFOV to 7 MM 70 degree AFOV,if you compared the 7 MM T-6 to the Pentax 7 MM XW you would not notice a huge difference because the Pentax is razor sharp all the way across,right to and out of the field no distortion,I know I have owned 11,7,and 5MM T-6's,I will never go back, the XW's in those short focal lengths are quite amazing,very immersive the AFOV seems a lot bigger than 70 degree because of the sharp flat,total field,don't forget the er and huge eyelens on the XW's!!

Clear skies.

#11 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:28 PM

Nice review.

I have the 8.8, 14 and 24 mm Meade 5000 UWA myself. Love them all. They work well in both my 12.5" f/6 reflector and my WO Petzval 66.

I plan to keep filling out the collection.

#12 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:40 PM

Mark-

Yes, nice report! Actually helps the rest of us enjoy yer new gear right along with you... the only possible drawback therein being the EP fever contagion :lol:

As to the EP-selling issue, i'm reminded of one in our midst who has a wonderfully refreshing outlook about EPs- keeping them!... and how, when given half-a-chance, they can at times surprise & delight us with unexpectedly beautiful views of heavenly treasures- especially when we're least expecting it... vainly imagining that the EP has somehow already shown us all it can. Well, perhaps it hasn't?! Few EPs are poised & equipped like the mighty Pentax to do so... so don't be too quick on the trigger... unless, of course, its *ME* you want to sell it to. In *that* case, please ignore all the preceding... i'll PM you my address for shipping. :evillaugh:

Yaknow, with such high-zoot glass as these being discussed, it kinda reminds me of my youth, where the talking heads would rant & rave about the merits of, say, a specific sports car; You had your Fiats, your Porsches, MGs, Triumphs, Alfas, Datsuns... and the critics' discussions wafted this way & that. The fact of the matter was they ALL were fun cars to drive, all required a certain amount of maintenance, and all could kill ya if not treated respectfully. I tried *several*, & found the one that *fit* me- ergonomically, aesthetically, emotionally... and drove the wheels off the thing for nearly a decade! :waytogo: Was it "the best" of them all? Of course it was!... for ME ;)

Its nice to have such wonderful choices! :grin:
:cool: mike b

#13 Albie

Albie

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:59 PM

so don't be too quick on the trigger... unless, of course, its *ME* you want to sell it to. In *that* case, please ignore all the preceding... i'll PM you my address for shipping. :evillaugh:

Back off, get your own sandwhich :jedi:That puppy is mine now :mrevil:

#14 Albie

Albie

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:00 PM

Hey Bill :flirt:

#15 DeepSpaceTour

DeepSpaceTour

Gemini

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:06 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roflmao:......GUESS who is going to be re-buying the Pentax 7 MM XW in the not so distant future :whistle: :doah:.... :lol: :lol:.

Clear skies.

#16 DeepSpaceTour

DeepSpaceTour

Gemini

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:11 PM

Hey Albie you just scored one *FANTASTIC* eyepiece you are gonna love how clean,crisp,razor sharp and flat that field is,congrats on that one :applause: :waytogo:......WOW!!!!

Clear skies.

#17 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:48 PM

Yep...and I got me a 7mm Uwan and 10mm SW.... :jump: the 10mm will be perrrfect for DSO's and the 7mm will be awesome for planets !!!....Now all of my EP's willl be a hefty 82° FOV :bigshock:

Of course the Pentaxes are great, can't deny that, but I'm on the UWA kick again, 82° was pure BLISS last night !!!..as for *buying* a Pentax XW, there's no way I will pay those insane prices that they are asking for them...I've only payed for them when they were cheaper.

#18 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:50 PM

[/quote]Back off, get your own sandwhich :jedi:That puppy is mine now :mrevil: [/quote]

:lol: Light sabre is drawn to protect Pentax :lol: :rofl2:
You'll *LOVE* that 7mm XW Alan...I assure you !!!, Meanwhile, I will be out checking on the 7mm Uwan and 10mm SW when the weather permits !!!

#19 Talstarone

Talstarone

Lunar Man

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:56 PM

Congratulations to you both, Alan and Markus. Seems as if there was quite a bit of quality lens trading going around. I think both of you will aquire what you were looking for.

#20 DeepSpaceTour

DeepSpaceTour

Gemini

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:58 PM

Yep...and I got me a 7mm Uwan and 10mm SW.... :jump: the 10mm will be perrrfect for DSO's and the 7mm will be awesome for planets !!!....Now all of my EP's willl be a hefty 82° FOV :bigshock:

Of course the Pentaxes are great, can't deny that, but I'm on the UWA kick again, 82° was pure BLISS last night !!!..as for *buying* a Pentax XW, there's no way I will pay those insane prices that they are asking for them...I've only payed for them when they were cheaper.

I know Mark I have been there, and done that,and the result of being there, and doing that,has boiled down to my current eyepiece line up,and my 7 MM XW, was and is, mint condition used, at over $100.00 off the price of a new one,so yah, I like to find a deal to,you just never seem to find deals like that on Pentax's, I was just in the right place at the right time :cool:...when the 70 Degree AFOV is perfect from edge to edge,that field of view is huge :bigshock: :jawdrop:.

Clear skies.

#21 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:05 PM

Hmmm, seems to me you were a big advocate of the "big, immersive fov" of the 82° "spacewalk" eyepices no? :thinking: :lol:
From what I recall, it wasn't until I chimed in about the Pentaxes and had an influence on your pickins that you wanted nothing but the 82° FOV Bill :rofl2:

#22 DeepSpaceTour

DeepSpaceTour

Gemini

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:12 PM

Hmmm, seems to me you were going on about the 82° FOv being HUGE the last time I checked :lol:

Yah :lol: 82 degrees is huge but so is 70 particularly when the entire field is crisp,I know I own both ;) they are both awesome,that is why my collection is the way it is,at the higher power, the Pentax's slide in there perfectly with there ENTIRE field sharpness,no need to keep the object in the sweet spot the WHOLE FIELD is the sweet spot. :grin:

Clear skies.

#23 Stephonon

Stephonon

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:13 PM

I am with Bill on this one. I would not trade my 10 and 7mm XWs for any ultra wide angle ep on the market today.

#24 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:15 PM

So, I guess you are really saying that the other eyepieces you own are not "crisp, sharp", right out to the edge? I recall you saying that the 12mm Nagler T4 was. :thinking:
Like I said, the 7mm Uwan will serve me well for Planetary and some deep sky as well and the 10mm SW will be perfect for DSO's...and from what I recall reading from Chopin, his 7mm Uwan was sharp right to the edge in his f/5 telescope, don't forget that I have an f/6 and less nudging will be awesome in the 82° FOV, even though I always re-center the object I am viewing anyways.
The 10mm SW will be no slouch in my f/6 telescope as well. Don't forget who you're speaking with here, I have traded, bought and sold over 42 eyepieces in the last year, and what a better way to try tons of eyepieces then to trade?...You can't beat that for fun :lol: :bow:

#25 DeepSpaceTour

DeepSpaceTour

Gemini

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:30 PM

So, I guess you are really saying that the other eyepieces you own are not "crisp, sharp", right out to the edge? I recall you saying that the 12mm Nagler T4 was. :thinking:

No you are saying that,not me:lol:...Not was, is,to about 95% or more of the field,at F/4.9 that is very good,and does not bother me in the least,like I said when I tested the 10 XW and the 12 MM T-4 side by side I was very impressed with the 12 T-4(I already new the 10 XW would be great from all the positive reviews it is,was getting you were one of them)but the 12 T-4 was right there with it, in optical quality except for the very,very,VERY,edge not enough to bother anyone I would think :lol:...not me anyway,and I own it :grin:.

Clear skies.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics