•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New research puts age of universe at 26.7 billion years, nearly twice as old as previously believed

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 JackCornell

JackCornell

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 April 2024 - 07:37 AM

You know, I can't shake the thought about the role of technology and scientific achievements in expanding the boundaries of our knowledge. I once heard about a study on the interconnection of different scientific fields and how breakthroughs in one area often lead to breakthroughs in others. I've also come across the idea of the importance of humility in the pursuit of knowledge, recognizing that there is always more to learn and discover, and that our current understanding is just one step on an infinite journey of exploration.

Exploring the Universe, we may uncover increasing complexity, but it's also a journey towards a deeper understanding of fundamental simplicity. The next generation reading our speculations might think of us as pioneers, paving the way for new insights, rather than seeing us as ignorant. Just as we now regard those who once believed the Earth rested on three elephants with a sense of historical context and appreciation for their contributions to the evolving tapestry of knowledge.

And this is the way of knowledge. Knowledge leads to answers for questions we knew.  It also leads to many questions we didn't know to ask before we learned those answers.

And there is no reason to think the universe is simple.  The more we learn, the more complex it becomes.

• Diana N likes this

#27 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 April 2024 - 12:52 PM

You know, I can't shake the thought about the role of technology and scientific achievements in expanding the boundaries of our knowledge. I once heard about a study on the interconnection of different scientific fields and how breakthroughs in one area often lead to breakthroughs in others. I've also come across the idea of the importance of humility in the pursuit of knowledge, recognizing that there is always more to learn and discover, and that our current understanding is just one step on an infinite journey of exploration.

It's called consilience, and it is an important thing for science.

A good example: "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond.

• Diana N likes this

#28 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Cosmos

Posted 22 April 2024 - 02:30 PM

As usual Don, you raise good points. smile.gif

#29 JackCornell

JackCornell

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 April 2024 - 01:24 PM

You know, I can't shake the thought about the role of technology and scientific achievements in expanding the boundaries of our knowledge. I once heard about a study on the interconnection of different scientific fields and how breakthroughs in one area often lead to breakthroughs in others. Here's the link to " how to do my discussion board" feel free to give it a read if you're interested. I've also come across the idea of the importance of humility in the pursuit of knowledge, recognizing that there is always more to learn and discover, and that our current understanding is just one step on an infinite journey of exploration.

It's called consilience, and it is an important thing for science.

A good example: "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond.

Thanks for mentioning "Guns, Germs, and Steel"! It's a book where the author explains why some civilizations developed faster than others. It's interesting to learn how different factors influenced history!

Edited by JackCornell, 24 April 2024 - 04:07 AM.

#30 yuzameh

yuzameh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 24 April 2024 - 06:09 PM

"twice as old as previously believed"

sounds like me when I look in the mirror

• Daniel Mounsey likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics