•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Texas Star Party Eclipse Event 2024 - Please Join Us!

Eclipse Star Party
41 replies to this topic

#26 Chris K

Chris K

Apollo

• Loc: Long Island, Earth

Posted 18 November 2023 - 07:40 PM

Does the website have current availability information?
Has registration reached the minimum to avoid cancellation?

Thank you

#27 ChristinaLeGrand

ChristinaLeGrand

Texas Star Party

• -----
  • Organization
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 19 November 2023 - 11:30 AM

Hello Chris,

I believe that when you log in and go to register, if you are selecting a housing type with no more availability, the website should not allow you to complete the booking transaction.  We have all types of housing still available including motel rooms.   However, we are running low on RV spots that have utility connections, and have only a few left.

Regarding whether we currently have enough registrations so that the event would not be cancelled, I will ask our Boss what we are allowed to disclose.   Even if we don't have enough registrations yet, please keep in mind that we are just shy of 5 months out from the event, so it is still "early" in the registration process.

Thank you,

Christina LeGrand

#28 mogur

mogur

Skylab

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 19 November 2023 - 04:24 PM

I think you need to very quickly establish a go no-go date so that people can make their plans. 5 months out sounds like a lot but almost everywhere is already reserved! Not being "allowed" to disclose that until very late is rather inconsiderate.

• Bigred77 likes this

#29 ChristinaLeGrand

ChristinaLeGrand

Texas Star Party

• -----
  • Organization
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2023 - 07:10 PM

Mr. Mogur,

I am asking the Boss because I personally do not see TSP data other than housing requests at this stage, so I need to ask to make sure I am providing correct information.  Also, we are under a legal contract with the host venue, and there might be some wording in the contract about what we can and can't disclose.   Our Boss will know, so I hope to have more information to post in the coming few days.   We are not wanting to be inconsiderate, but need to adhere to any legal requirements that are in the contract (which I myself might not be aware of).  We should have some relevant info to share in a few days.

Registrations have been brisk over the past month.   I believe we have only a few RV spots remaining with utility hook-ups, for example.     

Thank you,

Christina LeGrand

#30 ChristinaLeGrand

ChristinaLeGrand

Texas Star Party

• -----
  • Organization
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2023 - 11:28 AM

Chris, Alan, Mr. Mogur, and All,

Great news!   We have passed the required number of registrations such that the TSP Eclipse event will definitely be held.   It will NOT be cancelled.   Even if no one else signs up in the coming 5 months, the event will be held.    If somehow no one else signs up at all, the Boss said that we would maybe scale back in some areas.   But the event will still be held.

So - everyone - please rest assured that this event will take place.  All we need are clear skies!!!  

We have motel rooms, dorm rooms, and family rooms still available, but only a few RV spots left.   If anyone out there is still undecided, please come and join us for the eclipse event!  You can register at https://texasstarparty.org/.

I will see all of you guys and gals there, on April 5th at the Latham Springs host venue.   Only 137 days to go!

Thank you, and please let us know if there are any more questions.

Christina LeGrand

TSP Housing Team

• mogur and AstraGeekette like this

#31 Powernerd

Powernerd

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 November 2023 - 12:11 PM

That’s great news!  Thanks for the update!!

• ChristinaLeGrand likes this

#32 Alan A.

Alan A.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco

Posted 20 November 2023 - 12:47 PM

Hi,

Thanks very much Christina for sharing this information, and for all of your efforts in organizing this event.

Best,

Alan

#33 mogur

mogur

Skylab

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 20 November 2023 - 12:57 PM

So, one needs to leave the very next day by ten A.M. Good luck with the traffic. I'll pass.

#34 AstraGeekette

AstraGeekette

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Crystal Beach, TX

Posted 20 November 2023 - 02:49 PM

Woo-hoo!!! Works for me. See you there. The next day's traffic shouldn't be bad. It's Monday afternoon that I'd worry about.

Thanks for keeping us all informed. You're the best. Really looking forward to seeing all my astra-geekettes and astro-buds there!

Edited by AstraGeekette, 20 November 2023 - 02:56 PM.

#35 spacetimepictures

spacetimepictures

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 December 2023 - 03:21 AM

So, who's in?

I'll be with family at a RV spot from Paris, France :)

• SkyBear likes this

#36 AstraGeekette

AstraGeekette

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Crystal Beach, TX

Posted 18 December 2023 - 10:45 AM

My husband Ray and I are in!

Rene

#37 ChristinaLeGrand

ChristinaLeGrand

Texas Star Party

• -----
  • Organization
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2023 - 11:04 AM

Even though I am an on-staff volunteer for the Texas Star Party and will be working the event the entire time (and star parties are a lot of work!!!), I absolutely can't wait.   I am tempted to drive over there right now, and just hang out by the front gate.  Ha!

We have been getting a good registration "turn out" for the event, and still have availability for all housing types except RV slots.   So we still have motel rooms and family rooms available for those of you on the fence!

Hope you will join us!

Christina LeGrand

TSP Housing Team

• kfiscus and Cajundaddy like this

#38 cdave

cdave

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2024 - 11:55 AM

Prude Ranch is holding a star party in place the the usual TSP near Ft Davis, on June 1-7.

https://www.prude-ranch.com/star-party

The only difference I see is much lower prices, darker skies, longer event, but not as many activities (other than observing).

• jrussell likes this

#39 6opuc9

6opuc9

Vostok 1

• Loc: Seattle area, WA State

Posted 09 February 2024 - 06:14 AM

Christina,

I am considering joining the fun at Latham Spring. What will the accommodations be like for those camping? Will one be able to park their car at their camp site next to their tent? (with their astro gear, mind you! grin.gif very important!)

Also, will there be some sort of shower option provided, such as shower trailers perhaps?

Even though I am an on-staff volunteer for the Texas Star Party and will be working the event the entire time (and star parties are a lot of work!!!), I absolutely can't wait.   I am tempted to drive over there right now, and just hang out by the front gate.  Ha!

We have been getting a good registration "turn out" for the event, and still have availability for all housing types except RV slots.   So we still have motel rooms and family rooms available for those of you on the fence!

Hope you will join us!

Christina LeGrand

TSP Housing Team

#40 ChristinaLeGrand

ChristinaLeGrand

Texas Star Party

• -----
  • Organization
  • topic starter

Posted 09 February 2024 - 10:32 AM

Boris, thank you for your question.   There will definitely be showers and bathrooms available for the use of the campers.   I will have to ask about parking, however, regarding whether parking is permitted near the campsites.   So I will do that - will ask "The Boss" - and let you know what he says!   Christina LeGrand

• 6opuc9 likes this

#41 tzpasha

tzpasha

Lift Off

• Loc: VA

Posted 09 February 2024 - 11:38 PM

I will be travelling for two days from VA to TX. I got lucky, and was able to manage to get a private accommodation in Forth Worth for the weekend prior eclipse and the day after. But still considering to join the TSP so desperately I would trade my place for a tent spot in the middle of the path. He-he.   

#42 ChristinaLeGrand

ChristinaLeGrand

Texas Star Party

• -----
  • Organization
  • topic starter

Posted 10 February 2024 - 09:15 AM

Guys, and everyone asking about parking at Latham Springs for the eclipse event - all of those details have not been worked out yet.   

The Bosses have not decided yet on where parking will be relative to the observing field and the camping area.   Sorry for not having an answer right now.  Please keep in mind that even at the regular Texas Star Party, we have observing fields which are separate from the parking and camping areas.  There is also an observing field at the regular TSP where camping is allowed only on the perimeter.

As soon as we have an answer, I will post it here.

Thanks for your patience,

Christina

• 6opuc9 and AstraGeekette like this

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eclipse, Star Party

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics