•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Boller and Chivens 16" Cassegrain

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#276 jragsdale

jragsdale

Gemini

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 17 April 2024 - 10:23 AM

Interesting! Is this the Pro version? Does cone error etc. get compensated?

-drl

Yes, since you're only moving the RA axis, not Dec, cone error shouldn't be an issue. But they do have a separate program called ConeSharp that you can use to easily remove Cone Error as well: https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/conesharp

• deSitter likes this

#277 Peter Ceravolo

Peter Ceravolo

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2024 - 10:59 AM

This sounds similar to the method that SharpCap uses which is very handy, fast and accurate to under 1 arc-minute. A guide scope is attached to the scope, you set the scope pointing polar north, and it takes a quick photo and plate solves it, then you rotate the RA axis about 90 degrees and it takes another photo and compares the 2 to where they should be. Then it picks a bright star in your live view with an arrow and a bullseye, then you simply adjust the mount to get the star to the bullseye. For my small EQ mount the whole process takes about 90 seconds.

Thx Jordan.

I use SharpCap Pro for occultations, but I admit to not using the software tool to its full potential. I've been imaging since before the introduction of CCD's, so I am accustomed to doing everything manually. Back in the very early '90's there weren't many software tools to make the task easier.

When my wife Debra was learning to acquire, not "just" process images, I had her do everything, focus, point etc, manually first so she would understand what's going on with the equipment. When the tools failed for some reason she would better understand why and could go back and do it manually if necessary.

I know, I know... I'm an old fart... :-)

• deSitter, Bomber Bob, mark77 and 1 other like this

#278 photoracer18

photoracer18

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 19 April 2024 - 11:58 AM

Mark Dearborn, actually.  I am pretty sure he's since sold it.  He had plans to take it to an observatory in southern GA.

You mean Mark Dearing. He and I have sold each other things many times over the years.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics