•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Yesterday Was 6 Years Since 2017!

6 replies to this topic

#1 foxwoodastronomy

foxwoodastronomy

Vendor - Solar Eclipse Timer

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 22 August 2023 - 06:07 AM

It's hard to believe it's been six years since the 2017 eclipse!  That was a great day!  I will share two image successes and two image mistakes I made. I had a relatively good HDR result with processing only 4 images.  I also got a nice full sequence of the eclipse.  I love doing this.  It was seeing a full sequence image like this taken by Fred Espenak in 2000 before I went to my first eclipse in 2001, that inspired me to take eclipse photography seriously.  The timing of this sequence is not with an intervalometer, it's done with the clock times generated by my app.  A simplified way for amateurs to be successful in getting a sequence.  MY MISTAKES!  I bought a new Panasonic 4k video camera for this eclipse that I had on my guided mount to get a nice smooth video of pre-C2 to post-C3.  I remembered to turn the camera on but did not remember to zoom in!  So, I videoed the eclipse with my new 4k camera at a focal length of 37mm!  Ugh! I also had a 2nd rig set up at 750mm to image Regulus in the corona.  But somewhere along the way during the partial phases I bumped the focus, so my image is out of focus and Regulus is a blob (far left in the image)!  Hope to do better in 2024!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Moon Glow with new copyright label 800.jpg
  • 2 2017 Composite with HDR corona new copyrigh 800t.jpg
  • 3 2017 panasonic totaltiy 800.jpg
  • 4 out of focuas Regulus 800.jpg

Edited by foxwoodastronomy, 22 August 2023 - 06:07 AM.

• RNSpeed, Jim Haley, winstar and 3 others like this

#2 mikepier

mikepier

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 26 August 2023 - 06:52 AM

Yep, that was a great day. Years of planning, and finally got to see my first eclipse. Drove all the way from Long Island to Lexington SC a few days before ( had split it up in 2 days, sleeping overnight in Virginia).

Can't wait for April 8th. At least the drive will be a lot shorter this time driving to upstate NY.

• foxwoodastronomy likes this

#3 winstar

winstar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tyler, Texas

Posted 26 August 2023 - 10:40 PM

I saw my first TSE from Alliance, Nebraska on 8/21/17. It’s a day and experience I’ll never forget. All I got was a 360 video, and not great quality, but the image of it in my mind will last as long as I do.

For 4/8/24 I will have a SunSpotter telescope to keep an eye on it without having to constantly look up, and I plan on having image-stabilized binoculars. I really needed those in 2017 while getting buffeted by the wind at the top of a Nebraska sandhill.

I might decide to get some images of it, but I’m leaning toward just enjoying it and may do another 360 vid, better quality, to catch the crowd reaction. Can’t wait, and also looking forward to the annular in October.
  • foxwoodastronomy and jrussell like this

#4 foxwoodastronomy

foxwoodastronomy

Vendor - Solar Eclipse Timer

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 27 August 2023 - 07:25 AM

I saw my first TSE from Alliance, Nebraska on 8/21/17. It’s a day and experience I’ll never forget. All I got was a 360 video, and not great quality, but the image of it in my mind will last as long as I do.

For 4/8/24 I will have a SunSpotter telescope to keep an eye on it without having to constantly look up, and I plan on having image-stabilized binoculars. I really needed those in 2017 while getting buffeted by the wind at the top of a Nebraska sandhill.

I might decide to get some images of it, but I’m leaning toward just enjoying it and may do another 360 vid, better quality, to catch the crowd reaction. Can’t wait, and also looking forward to the annular in October.

winstar, this is a long eclipse in 2024.  I think you would have time to take a couple of corona shots.  Consider it.

• winstar and jrussell like this

#5 pierce

pierce

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 07 October 2023 - 08:52 PM

At the Madras Oregon Solar Fest.

FB_IMG_1503262425193-X3.jpg

FB_IMG_1503269687966-X3.jpg

#6 pierce

pierce

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 07 October 2023 - 09:17 PM

(note those pictures were a few days before the eclipse, just testing the equipment and stuff...  my camper was the Casita behind the tree behind the scope in the first pic)

#7 Alan D. Whitman

Alan D. Whitman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: South of Penticton, British Columbia

Posted 08 October 2023 - 03:32 PM

winstar, this is a long eclipse in 2024.  I think you would have time to take a couple of corona shots.  Consider it.

Yes, the 4m 28s of totality in 2024 (or a little shorter if you are further NE along the path) is a longer than average one and gives you time for a good view; the 2m 9s of totality in easternmost Oregon in 2017 was my second-shortest of ten totalities and was really too short. I find that about 3.5 minutes is just enough time for a decent view with each of unaided eye, binoculars, and a telescope.

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics