•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Size comparison between AT125EDL & AT102EDL

Astro Tech Astronomics Optics Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 AstroApe

AstroApe

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina / 36°N / SQM≈21(Bortle ~4)

Posted 17 September 2023 - 08:46 PM

Hello my fellow refractor loving Cloudy Nighters!

I just wanted to make a thread to show off my new-to-me Astro-Tech AT125EDL (named Wild William for now) and to show a size comparison of it to my AT102EDL (Sweet Caroline).

The EDL line represents, in my opinion, one of the best values for a refractor in the entire hobby. These really are amazing scopes for the price and I haven't really found any online reports of anyone getting a bad example. I wanted a scope that would compliment my AD8 8" f/5.9 Dobsonian and the recommendation I received the most was for a mid focal length 4" refractor. I did a ton of research and ended up deciding on the AT102EDL, which was luckily on sale and I was able to get delivered to my house for under a grand. As soon as the box was opened it was love at first sight! So when the opportunity to purchase a used AT125EDL came up I knew that I had to have it. For those who aren't familiar with this scope line, they're ED doublet refractors sold by the host / owner of Cloudy Nights, Astronomics. The current scopes in the EDL series include a 102mm (4") and 125mm (4.9"), with a 80mm (3.2") that has since been discontinued and a 150mm (5.9") to be released in Q1 2024. These scopes use an FCD100 ED element mated to a lanthanum element, and both come with really nice 2.5" rotatable rack & pinion focusers complete with camera angle adjusters and sliding dew shields. The 102 has an f ratio of 7 (714mm FL) while the 125 is f/7.8 (975mm FL). Astronomics also guarantees the quality of these to a minimum Strehl ratio of 0.95, which is fantastic IMO. From all the testing I've seen preformed on these scopes I really believe that guarantee holds true.

A little backstory:
I bought my 102 back at the end of June this year. My plan was to purchase the scope and a mount for it at the same time, but due to circumstance I was only able to get the scope and would have to wait on the mount. So I received this beautiful scope and was as stoked as I'd ever been in this hobby, but had no way of testing it which turned out to be a real bummer. During my research on the scope, I had run across a few DPAC tests of the 80EDL & 125EDL, but to my knowledge a DPAC test of 102EDL had never been posted. I had read in the 125EDL DPAC thread posted by our amazing CN admin Scott in NC, who'd preformed the DPAC tests on the other EDL scopes, where someone had asked about the quality of the 102 and his response was that he'd like to test one. So since I didn't have a way to give my scope First Light, I reached out to Scott to see if he'd be interested in putting the scope on the testing bench so I'd at least have some idea of it's quality until I could get a mount. Turned out that he lived fairly local (less than an hours drive) and he graciously offered to meetup and put my scope through the paces of the DPAC. This must have been fate or destiny or something, as this meeting turned into a friendship that as really helped get my amateur astronomy journey started down the right path... anyway, the thread to that DPAC test of the 102 can be found here:
https://www.cloudyni...c#entry12857093

Fast forward a few months and as upgrades have been made the opportunity came up to purchase Scott's amazing 125EDL. This was one of those chance deals that I couldn't let myself pass up. The scope had been DPAC tested and Scott has been able to compare the views it provided with other well known scopes in it's class, so I basically knew what I was getting and the quality of scope that was being offered before I got it. I couldn't pass this opportunity up! Here's a link to Scott's thread on the 125's DPAC test, the same thread that gave me the idea to reach out to Scott about testing my 102:
https://www.cloudyni...l#entry12834110

So he once again graciously drove an hour out of his way to bring the scope by so I could check it out, put it on my mount for a test run, and decide if it was truly something that I'd want, which needless to say it most certainly was! So we were able to make a deal yesterday and make it rain.... literally. There wasn't a cloud in the sky until the scope showed up, then we started dodging clouds to get in some white light solar views, then by night there wasn't a star in the sky. My astro club, Echo Ridge Astronomical Society, had a club observing session planned in southern Virginia last night and I got blamed by the majority for the poor weather since I was foolish enough to bring a new scope :lol:

Now, back to the size comparison:

Unfortunately excitement over the new scope caused me to forget to take some pics of it while on the mount yesterday, so I don't have any mounted photos to share, but I figured I'd use this rainy weather to take some indoor pics of the 102 & 125 next to each other. This will give anyone who may be thinking of buying one of these scopes or upgrading / downgrading sizes an idea of their relative size to each other... plus I just want to show off my scopes :lol: This was actually the first time I'd ever seen two different size scopes from the same series together. My first thought was "Wow, that's bigger than I thought it'd be!" It's one thing to think about the difference or pull a tape measure out to get an idea vs. actually seeing the two together.

IMG 20230917 103902139

I had thought about running the 125 on my CG5-ASGT (Mounty McMountface, the awesome mount that Scott hooked me up with for my 4") but had seen several CNers using the same scopes on a SkyTee-2. I liked the looks of it so decided to order one from First Light Optics (UK) since others were having good luck with it. I'm not saying that my CG5 wouldn't handle it for visual use, but after seeing the 125 I'm thankful that I went ahead and bought a mount that'll handle a higher payload. I'm also glad that I upgraded the 2 saddles to an ADM Vixen & ADM Losmandy since there's no way I'd trust the small factory Vixen saddle and dovetail with a scope this size. Not saying it wouldn't hold it, just that I really wouldn't personally trust it.

IMG 20230917 103836985

My plan going forward is to use the 125EDL as my primary scope on the side saddle of the SkyTee-2, with my AT70ED (Little Ed) riding on the top saddle. My 102EDL will probably go to a small AltAz mount (M2C or similar) as a grab-n-go and for shorter observing sessions. The CG5 will be used when tracking is needed such as for public outreach, and for my future adventures into the world of EAA.

IMG 20230917 104027097

Well thanks for making it to the bottom of this post that turned out waayyy longer than I intended. It was supposed it be a short paragraph or two with a few pics, but once I started typing about my scopes I couldn't stop :lol: I'll blame it on the long night at the club and lack of sleep. A special thanks to Scott in NC for the amazing scope and for all the help he's been, both in-person as well as for everything he does here on Cloudy Nights. That dude is awesome!! So, what does everyone think about these two scopes side-by-side? Anyone surprised by the size difference or was that just me? If you had to pick just one, which would you choose? And what would your preferred mount for one of these be? Looking forward to seeing what others think.

Clear skies my friends!!

• Scott in NC, Erik Bakker, Alan S and 8 others like this

#2 gstrumol

gstrumol

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: north of Detroit, Michigan USA

Posted 17 September 2023 - 09:05 PM

Well, I have the AT80EDL, and agree with you that it is an incredible scope for the money (I gather they are out of stock now). I was trying to imagine it alongside your two. I now see that the 127 would be a giant against it!

Enjoy! And send photos taken by it soon.

• AstroApe likes this

#3 scout

scout

Viking 1

• Loc: Mount Diablo, CA

Posted 17 September 2023 - 09:12 PM

Well, I have the AT80EDL... was trying to imagine it alongside your two. I now see that the 127 would be a giant against it!

Here's an old picture from Astronomics' site showing their line of refractors. It shows the 130 instead of the 125, and the dew shields are retracted, but you can get a general idea of the size comparisons.

Click on the picture for a clearer non-distorted image.

AT Refractor size comparison

Edited by scout, 17 September 2023 - 09:20 PM.

• donniesoprano and AstroApe like this

#4 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Aficionado

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 17 September 2023 - 09:29 PM

Nice report. Thanks for all the kind words, and sorry about the rain!  Yes, the weather was beautiful until I arrived with the scope. Here’s a pic that I took of the AT125EDL on your SkyTee mount yesterday, set up for white light solar observing with a Herschel wedge.  I really like that mount, and if I didn’t have so many mounts already, that’s one that I’d like to get someday.

IMG_3589.jpeg

• Erik Bakker and AstroApe like this

#5 gstrumol

gstrumol

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: north of Detroit, Michigan USA

Posted 17 September 2023 - 09:58 PM

Reminds me of my TAL 100RS mounted on a GEM I converted into an AltAz:

talAZS.jpg

wink.gif

• AstroApe likes this

#6 AstroApe

AstroApe

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2023 - 10:44 PM

Nice report. Thanks for all the kind words, and sorry about the rain!  Yes, the weather was beautiful until I arrived with the scope. Here’s a pic that I took of the AT125EDL on your SkyTee mount yesterday, set up for white light solar observing with a Herschel wedge.  I really like that mount, and if I didn’t have so many mounts already, that’s one that I’d like to get someday.

attachicon.gif IMG_3589.jpeg

Thanks for taking and posting that! I've been trying to get into a habit of taking a photo every single time I setup a scope to observe, but sometimes I forget. I've been observing so many short sessions lately that the pics really help me to keep track of it, although I'm pretty sure this time I don't need any photo evidence to vividly recall this observing session!

I love the idea of the SkyTee-2, but I'm not quite sure yet how I feel about the actual SkyTee-2. I really like the layout and design, I just don't like the actual execution of it. The mechanics could be a little more refined and a little more attention to detail would have turn it into something special... but for the price it's fantastic! I ended up paying almost as much for the 2 ADM saddles as I did for the mount itself. The next closest mount I could find in terms of capacity, versatility, and capability was almost 3x the price for the same setup. It may be rough around the edges and unrefined, but so am I! So we're actually a perfect match for each other :lol: Most importantly though is that despite it's flaws and price tag, I think the mount will work well with the 125 and it will allow me to put more of my funds towards a larger mount that'll be capable of carrying a 6" class refractor, which is a goal I'd like to work towards in the not so distant future.

• Scott in NC likes this

#7 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 18 September 2023 - 05:57 AM

Here is mine.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0809.JPG

• Erik Bakker and AstroApe like this

#8 AstroApe

AstroApe

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2023 - 10:11 AM

Here is mine.

Seeing that 80ED makes me wonder how long I'll be able to resist the temptation of putting a want ad out for an 80EDL....

#9 truckerfromaustin

truckerfromaustin

Viking 1

• Loc: Wherever I park my truck for the night.

Posted 18 September 2023 - 11:28 AM

Seeing that 80ED makes me wonder how long I'll be able to resist the temptation of putting a want ad out for an 80EDL....

Congratulations on your new scope. I went with the 115edt due to its smaller size . The 125 is approaching the "yard cannon" size. The edl series are the best bang for the buck in refractors.

Greg
P.S. There's an at80edl on the CN Classifieds at good price. I made the mistake of selling my first one, so I had to buy another one. It's a great grab and go scope.
  • AstroApe likes this

#10 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Aficionado

• Administrators

Posted 18 September 2023 - 11:48 AM

LOL. Now I wish that I had kept mine another few months and sold it to you. :grin:

#11 AstroApe

AstroApe

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2023 - 07:09 AM

Congratulations on your new scope. I went with the 115edt due to its smaller size . The 125 is approaching the "yard cannon" size. The edl series are the best bang for the buck in refractors.

Thanks! I really like that 4.5" size of the 115EDT. I may have went with that size over the 102 if it would've been a similar design but my research at the time had me really leaning towards a really good APO-like doublet vs triplet, mainly for lower nose weight and faster cool down time. If I had planned on doing any imaging I may have picked the triplet due to possible better correction across the field, but the doublet is perfect for my visual use and has near perfect color correction at focus, to my eyes at least. Plus if I would've went with the 115 it would've probably taken the place of the 102 & 125, and who'd want just one scope when they could have two?? :lol:

Greg
P.S. There's an at80edl on the CN Classifieds at good price. I made the mistake of selling my first one, so I had to buy another one. It's a great grab and go scope.

I really, really wish you wouldn't have pointed that out.... gve.gif

• truckerfromaustin likes this

#12 truckerfromaustin

truckerfromaustin

Viking 1

Posted 19 September 2023 - 07:26 AM

Thanks! I really like that 4.5" size of the 115EDT. I may have went with that size over the 102 if it would've been a similar design but my research at the time had me really leaning towards a really good APO-like doublet vs triplet, mainly for lower nose weight and faster cool down time. If I had planned on doing any imaging I may have picked the triplet due to possible better correction across the field, but the doublet is perfect for my visual use and has near perfect color correction at focus, to my eyes at least. Plus if I would've went with the 115 it would've probably taken the place of the 102 & 125, and who'd want just one scope when they could have two?? :lol:

I really, really wish you wouldn't have pointed that out.... gve.gif

If you had bought the 115edt, you could justify buying the upcoming 150edl. I was planning to buy one, but I found a high quality 8 inch Teeter dob on astromart.

Clear Skies,
Greg

#13 AstroApe

AstroApe

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2023 - 08:35 AM

LOL. Now I wish that I had kept mine another few months and sold it to you. grin.gif

Now that I've got the 102, the 125, and hopefully plan to get the 150, I know that I probably won't be satisfied unless I get the 80 too.... but I'm going to resist that urge for now. I've got my little 70ED so that'll hold me over, although I've even debated upgrading it to the 72EDII at some point but an 80EDL would eliminate that desire I believe.... but for now my focus is on saving for the 150, a mount big enough to carry it, and a place to put it.

#14 AstroApe

AstroApe

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2023 - 08:42 AM

If you had bought the 115edt, you could justify buying the upcoming 150edl. I was planning to buy one, but I found a high quality 8 inch Teeter dob on astromart.

Clear Skies,
Greg

I actually am planning on getting the 150, but I'm wanting a permanent spot to put it and will hold off until that project gets completed. I've got an 8" Dob, it's just a mass market Apertura branded GSO but it has a fairly good mirror in it. It's my primary DSO scope. The 150 will have the same focal length and it's clear aperture will knock the socks off my 8" I believe, so it'll be replacing the Dob.

My plan so far is to use the 102 as a grab-n-go while at home on a small altaz mount, the 125 will be run on a dual saddle mount (SkyTee-2) with a smaller AT70ED (or similar depending on if I upgrade it) and will be my primary travel scope rig for club observing events and such, and the 150 will be my primary scope at home and will be on a pier.... that's the plan right now, but that could (and probably will) get changed as I gain more experience running scopes this size.

Edited by AstroApe, 19 September 2023 - 09:02 AM.

• truckerfromaustin likes this

#15 Estel11

Estel11

Sputnik

Posted 19 September 2023 - 09:04 AM

I also had the AT102EDL, but due to happily finding a good used HD5 Gibraltar mount, ended up with the AT125EDL. I also have an AT80ED on a Telepod mount. For my use, the two complement each other perfectly. In a way, the AT80ED is the more amazing telescope, when you figure in the cost and how good it is. This last week, I was searching for several open clusters just above the M22 area with the AT125EDL. I found most of them that evening. The next night, I used the AT80ED at low power to scan the area. All the clusters were easily located, and looked wonderful, as did Saturn. One of the really nice things about having a good 80mm refractor along with something like the AT125EDL is the way each scope makes you appreciate the other one for what they do. But make no mistake, the AT125EDL requires a solid mount. The HD5 works well, but even that sturdy setup has some vibration at high powers. As seen in this thread, it is much larger than the AT102EDL. Even with it being a relatively lightweight 5" doublet refractor, the mount choice requires some thought. If I had kept the AT102EDL and found the right mount for it, I would have been plenty happy with it. The optical quality of both the AT125EDL and the AT102EDL is almost as good as it gets. They seemed to me to be pretty much identical except for aperture. A lot of people consider a good 4" to be the perfect "do everything" scope. I can't argue with that. The Astro-Tech lineup of refractors is really putting some nice choices out there. The build quality and optics are pretty amazing.
  • scout and AstroApe like this

#16 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Aficionado

• Administrators

Posted 19 September 2023 - 09:22 AM

...and who'd want just one scope when they could have two?? lol.gif

My sentiments exactly! :lol:

• AstroApe likes this

#17 PeterAB

PeterAB

Messenger

• Loc: Southern Wisconsin, USA

Posted 19 September 2023 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for posting!   I like telescope size comparison pictures.   I'm happy with my 102EDL for now.   A little bigger for visual would be nice, but, I been punting using EAA techniques to make up for aperture when needed.

Peter 

Edited by PeterAB, 19 September 2023 - 10:56 AM.

• AstroApe likes this

#18 Alan S

Alan S

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 19 September 2023 - 09:55 AM

My sentiments exactly! lol.gif

I'll see your two and raise you...ah, never mind, there is no good that comes out of this as far as my telescope storage closet goes...

But, AstroApe, 3rd one's a charm!  (In my case the sample of the 80 EDL I own is an excellent telescope)...go for it!

Edited by Alan S, 19 September 2023 - 09:56 AM.

• Scott in NC and AstroApe like this

#19 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Aficionado

• Administrators

Posted 19 September 2023 - 10:01 AM

My prior AT80EDL had a mild turned down edge but excellent spherical correction, and put up views very comparable to that of my excellent TeleVue 85.

• truckerfromaustin and AstroApe like this

#20 PatientObserver

PatientObserver

Viking 1

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 19 September 2023 - 10:38 AM

So, what does everyone think about these two scopes side-by-side? Anyone surprised by the size difference or was that just me? If you had to pick just one, which would you choose? And what would your preferred mount for one of these be? Looking forward to seeing what others think.

Thanks for the post and pictures.

I have an Agema SD-120 on order and it is larger than the AT125EDL. While I knew it would be large, and your photo confirms that; I did not really think about the placement of the eyepiece. My AT102EDL is back heavy, so the scope is balanced near the focuser. These large scopes seem to balance closer to the middle. I was originally planning on mounting it on my AZ75. However, given that I have another scope arriving this week (that will be a perfect companion for my FOA-60Q), and the eyepiece height difference that it would introduce between the scope on the other side, I think I will need another mount and tripod.

I recently purchased a Super Mount S Mini. If Super Mount mounts had encoder support, I would buy the M Master without hesitation. Instead, I will have to compare it to the DM6 and Rowan AZ100. I might even buy a second AZ75, as it can handle the Agema. Hmmm?

As for which one would I choose? Like you I picked the AT102EDL first. To me it was the right balance of mass and aperture. We will see if that changes once my eyes are opened to the sights of a larger aperture.
  • AstroApe likes this

#21 AstroApe

AstroApe

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2023 - 10:41 AM

A lot of people consider a good 4" to be the perfect "do everything" scope. 

That's the conclusion I reached while doing research for a refractor. I love my 102 and it really is the perfect all-arounder for me and my uses. The 125 is fantastic but is a beast of a scope when compared to the 102, and I feel the same way about each scope making me appreciate the other even more.

Something I wasn't really expecting was how well the 125 worked on some DSOs last night. I had planned on doing some planetary observing with it but the seeing was horrible so I viewed some DSOs instead. The 102 does pretty well but you can tell you're only working with 4" of aperture especially at high powers. I was expecting the 5" to show a little more and a little brighter, but in my opinion the views were more similar to my AD8 than to the 102EDL. This surprised me quite a bit. For example I got one of the best, brightest views of the Ring last night that I've ever had with one of my scopes. The AD8 has a good mirror and does very well on the Ring, but the views were every bit as good IMO in the 5" last night using a 12mm Delos / DGM NPB combo. 

• Scott in NC and PatientObserver like this

#22 topomountain

topomountain

Messenger

• Loc: nc mountains

Posted 19 September 2023 - 11:18 AM

does the c102 beat out the 125edl in anything, not asking about weight or focal length math...

at the ep can the c102 beat the 125edl in any comparison?

john

Here is mine.

#23 truckerfromaustin

truckerfromaustin

Viking 1

Posted 19 September 2023 - 12:05 PM

does the c102 beat out the 125edl in anything, not asking about weight or focal length math...

john

The 102 will have the advantage on wide targets due to its wider afov. Most of the Messier Objects will favor the 102, but the 115edt is even better for them. The 125 will be better on the planets, deeper objects, and globular clusters.

Clear Skies,
Greg

#24 KWB

KWB

James Webb Space Telescope

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet

Posted 19 September 2023 - 01:24 PM

john

For me an advantage of using the smaller aperture telescope is being able to get the telescope with mount/tripod out the door of my house in one piece. It is possible and doable if carefully done using my 102EDL/AZ5 mount.

I highly doubt my ability to do the same with a solidly supported 125 EDL. Also the TFOV capability mentioned above by Greg using the smaller aperture telescope isn't lost on me. It all depends on how and what one wants to use a particular telescope for.

#25 Estel11

Estel11

Sputnik

Posted 19 September 2023 - 03:52 PM

I feel the same way about the AT125EDL when it comes to deep sky objects. When I set up my old XT8 alongside the AT125EDL, it's always interesting. The XT8 has a very nice mirror. But I almost never use it since I bought the AT125EDL.
  • truckerfromaustin and AstroApe like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astro Tech, Astronomics, Optics, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics