Hello everyone from the rainy UK!
I'm no stranger to astrophotography, and ended up 10 years ago with a guided set up, cooled CCD camera, narrowband imaging and whatnot. I sold all my gear as it wasn't getting used often enough - the British weather, and a demanding job with early starts were my enemies. I used to spend a lot of time on Cloudy Nights back then, and it's good to see the community is as busy and helpful as ever.
10 years on, I am retired, recently married, and we spend a lot of our time now touring the UK in our caravan (trailer); we've been out under some good dark skies, and I wondered about a scope again. I spotted a previously owned Celestron C6 f10 SCT on an Advanced GT mount for a good price, as I reckon it's not too big to manage as we travel. I got permission from the Financial Controller to buy, so off we go!
Initial intentions were to focus on:
- Visual observing, lunar solar and planetary, plus brighter DSOs.
- Piggyback my DSLR on top for some longer exposure widefield imaging.
However, I started reading about EAA, and it interests me as if offers a better experience IMHO than visual observing, especially if I am viewing with the Mrs.
So.... I am looking for some camera advice please, if I can sketch out my plan? I am trying to keep setting up and complexity as low as practical, as it won't be a permanent setup just yet.
- I would like to be able to EAA on the lunar, solar and planetary targets
- I would also like to be able to do EAA on some DSOs
- I would prefer an uncooled camera/passively cooled camera
- I prefer colour over a mono camera
- I don't want to start adding extra scopes or changing scopes at this time, so will image through the C6
- I don't want to try guiding at this point
I have a modern laptop with a 1080p screen, and am happy to be sat outside pressing buttons etc, so I'm not investigating any remote viewing and control options.
- I have considered the ZWO ASI662MC which is well within my budget, and seems to be able to do it all; am I right?
- What are the pros and cons of using a 4K 8.3 Mp camera such as the ZWO ASI 678MC USB3.0? I know viewed 'live' on my laptop screen it won't make any difference, but my home PC screen is 4K if I am messing around with any captured images.
- I see you can EAA through a DSLR, although this seems to be a slightly experimental area, and I'd only try this for DSOs (EDIT using the camera lens), not planetary. Is DSLR EAA a realistic option? (Canon 90D by the way)
So, are my assumptions correct or not, and am I heading in the right direction folks? Thanks in advance as always.
Edited by Rammysherriff, 19 September 2023 - 09:10 AM.