•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What else should I get for my 10" dob for the upcoming eclipse?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Lancer360

Lancer360

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2023 - 09:58 PM

Planning on making a trip for the eclipse.  With my luck it will be stormy, but in the off chance it isn't we are taking our 10" dob and binoculars.  I have a Baader filter for the binoculars.  Was planning on getting the following for the dob and the finder scope on it assuming they are going to get more in stock before the eclipse.

https://www.highpoin...r-filter-assf50

https://www.highpoin...lescopes-az1007

Is there anything else we should consider getting?  We will be in Texas so it will most likely be warm.

• RiderRoy likes this

#2 RiderRoy

RiderRoy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Allen, TX

Posted 26 September 2023 - 06:57 AM

Instead of a filter for your finder you could also get a sol searcher solar finder for the same price. And if you have access to a 3d printer you can print your own for pennies. Just a thought. 

I have the sol searcher but considering printing one of the printable versions just because. 

#3 WillR

WillR

Vanguard

• ****-
  • Loc: Stroudsburg, PA

Posted 26 September 2023 - 01:41 PM

We are traveling to Texas too, but leaving the 10" Dob home. I think it is way overkill for the eclipse aperture-wise and how will you track it?  Every time you look up from the eyepiece and go back, you'll have to recenter the sun. You are likely to miss the entire experience trying to follow it with a 10" Dob.

If you do decide to use it, definitely practice on the sun before hand. And you don't need your 50mm finder. Just a simple pinhole solar finder will make it easier to center the sun.

Edited by WillR, 26 September 2023 - 01:42 PM.

#4 Acenspades

Acenspades

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles,CA, Bortle 4238

Posted 26 September 2023 - 02:00 PM

We are traveling to Texas too, but leaving the 10" Dob home. I think it is way overkill for the eclipse aperture-wise and how will you track it?  Every time you look up from the eyepiece and go back, you'll have to recenter the sun. You are likely to miss the entire experience trying to follow it with a 10" Dob.

If you do decide to use it, definitely practice on the sun before hand. And you don't need your 50mm finder. Just a simple pinhole solar finder will make it easier to center the sun.

LOL! like if you need a finder to find the sun, you're probably doing it wrong lol.gif

#5 WillR

WillR

Vanguard

• ****-

Posted 26 September 2023 - 08:05 PM

LOL! like if you need a finder to find the sun, you're probably doing it wrong lol.gif

You absolutely need a finder to find the sun in a telescope. You don't need a magnifying finder. But you need something, unless you are going to use the shadow.

Edited by WillR, 26 September 2023 - 08:19 PM.

• bunyon likes this

#6 Lancer360

Lancer360

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2023 - 08:37 PM

We are taking the scope to look at night as well since we are staying 3 nights.  The sky will be darker than where we currently live so it should be a nice treat.  I looked at the solar finders, but they were around the same price as just getting a filter for my existing finder.  Plus it has the benefit of not having to align something new to the OTA.

#7 WillR

WillR

Vanguard

• ****-

Posted 28 September 2023 - 09:09 PM

We are taking the scope to look at night as well since we are staying 3 nights.  The sky will be darker than where we currently live so it should be a nice treat.  I looked at the solar finders, but they were around the same price as just getting a filter for my existing finder.  Plus it has the benefit of not having to align something new to the OTA.

It may not be as easy to find the sun in an 8 x 50 finder as you think. I made a pinhole finder for nothing, and it it's easy to align to the sun without having to look through anything.

But by all means try it with the 50mm. Maybe it will work well for you. 

#8 MJB87

MJB87

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 29 September 2023 - 05:58 AM

Moving this to the North American 2024 Total Solar Eclipse forum, for a better fit.

#9 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 29 September 2023 - 06:15 AM

You can print or make a 1x solar finder easy enough. I’d take the dob for new moon observation but I’d leave it capped during the eclipse and just use the 8x50 finder as aid for the TSE.

#10 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Soyuz

• Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 04 October 2023 - 05:18 PM

Planning on making a trip for the eclipse.  With my luck it will be stormy, but in the off chance it isn't we are taking our 10" dob and binoculars.  I have a Baader filter for the binoculars.  Was planning on getting the following for the dob and the finder scope on it assuming they are going to get more in stock before the eclipse.

https://www.highpoin...r-filter-assf50

https://www.highpoin...lescopes-az1007

Is there anything else we should consider getting?  We will be in Texas so it will most likely be warm.

I recommend using an Astrozap Baader AstroSolar ring-style filter and not the premade filters provided by Baader Planetarium.

Your 10-inch Dob has too big of an aperture to give a good view.  If possible, you will want to stop down the aperture to about 5 inches.

You will also want a Solar finder such as a Far Laboratories HelioPod:

https://www.farlabor...m/dyna-hp1.html

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics