•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Earth shine

10 replies to this topic

#1 Tech Hiker

Tech Hiker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Columbus Nebraska USA

Posted 29 September 2023 - 08:30 PM

Overall I had very good success photographing the 2017 eclipse and I'm very happy with the results.  But my attempt to capture earth shine failed.  I got so much over exposure blooming into the moon that you can't see any detail.  Not a big deal, but I'm wondering if there is something I could do differently in 2024.

Orion EON 80mm ED

Canon EOS T6s

Eclipse Orchestrator

Attached Thumbnails

• Img_1768_m.jpg

#2 Alan D. Whitman

Alan D. Whitman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: South of Penticton, British Columbia

Posted 30 September 2023 - 04:23 PM

Any images of totality showing earthshine are composite images that combine exposures of many different durations, usually made by expert eclipse photographers like Miloslav Druckmuller: http://www.zam.fme.vutbr.cz/~druck/

Druckmuller's superb images come out months after totality -- that's how long he spends processing them!

This Druckmuller image of the 2009 totality showing detailed earthshine was the background image on my computer for many years, because I saw earthshine visually in 2009 by dark-adapting my eyes before totality by covering them with a scarf, and because it was a wimpy corona, fainter than at most totalities:

http://www.zam.fme.v..._mid/0-info.htm

No, I didn't see anything like that detail visually, but I did detect the band of darker maria running down the centre of the lunar disk.

Edited by Alan D. Whitman, 30 September 2023 - 04:32 PM.

• PrestonE likes this

#3 agavephoto

agavephoto

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 September 2023 - 05:37 PM

A single image can show earthshine, but the corona will be overexposed near the limb. From my 2017 exposure series, I can start to see the moon's features starting at 1/6s exposure at f/5.5, ISO100, but only if I stretch the image heavily. With an exposure of 1/4s, the Earthshine is less noisy and more clear:

onefourth_tse17.jpg

Single exposure, 1/4s, ISO100, f/5.5

No single image has the dynamic range needed to get the result I wanted, so, just as Alan suggests above, I combined 32 photos spanning seven exposure values for my final image. My longer exposures are where the Earthshine in my final image came from.

36445628894_df628f5086_z.jpg

Totality | Earthshine by Drew Medlin, on Flickr

What was your exposure setting for your image? Were you able to try to stretch this using some image processing software?

[Edit: add question to Tech Hiker]

Edited by agavephoto, 30 September 2023 - 05:47 PM.

• Alan D. Whitman likes this

#4 Tech Hiker

Tech Hiker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2023 - 07:43 PM

Sure, I understand the need to do HDR processing.  Here is a composite of my individual exposures and my final merged result.  The lower 10 exposures were ISO 100, f6.3, and shutter speeds between 1/320 and 1.6 seconds.  I don't really know how to stretch these to pull pull out any lunar detail.  I have Paint Shop Pro.  Perhaps that isn't able to do what is needed, or I just don't know how to do it.  I just blacken out the center because it was ugly.smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• composit.jpg
  • HDR merge 3.jpg

#5 foxwoodastronomy

foxwoodastronomy

Vendor - Solar Eclipse Timer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 01 October 2023 - 07:57 AM

Tech, it seems like you have some images that should work.  I have attached my totality panel from 2019 and then my 2019 HDR showing Earth Shine.  I also attached my 2017 Earth Shine.  Keep in mind that I hate doing HDR; I don't have the patience for it and the final images I shared were made using only 4 images from my exposure panel.  So, my images are not great, but it is enough for me, and I think your images have the information.  This YouTube video from a guy named John Blackwell taught me the basic HDR techniques I used.  https://youtu.be/ikaXNAYqOJ4

Attached Thumbnails

• totality panel.jpg
  • 2019 HDR.jpg
  • 2017 Moon Glow.jpg

#6 agavephoto

agavephoto

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 October 2023 - 10:37 AM

I don't have access to paint shot pro, so can't offer guidance there, but since you mentioned you were using a Canon DSLR, one thing you might have access to without cost is Canon's Digital Photo Pro software package, and that will have the ability to stretch the image, likely beyond what PSP can. I'd say start with bringing up the shadows to see if that brings out any lunar detail.

Sure, I understand the need to do HDR processing.  Here is a composite of my individual exposures and my final merged result.  The lower 10 exposures were ISO 100, f6.3, and shutter speeds between 1/320 and 1.6 seconds.  I don't really know how to stretch these to pull pull out any lunar detail.  I have Paint Shop Pro.  Perhaps that isn't able to do what is needed, or I just don't know how to do it.  I just blacken out the center because it was ugly.smile.gif

#7 Tech Hiker

Tech Hiker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2023 - 02:58 PM

Yes I do also have Digital Photo Pro.  So I experimented some with its levels function.  Still not finding any lunar detail.  It just seems like the over exposure ballooning from the corona in toward the center is over powering any lunar detail. 

I don't have access to paint shot pro, so can't offer guidance there, but since you mentioned you were using a Canon DSLR, one thing you might have access to without cost is Canon's Digital Photo Pro software package, and that will have the ability to stretch the image, likely beyond what PSP can. I'd say start with bringing up the shadows to see if that brings out any lunar detail.

#8 MEE

MEE

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 October 2023 - 08:58 AM

Tech Hiker: did you have thin clouds and/or haze in front of the sun during totality?

#9 Tech Hiker

Tech Hiker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 October 2023 - 07:43 PM

That's a good question.  I didn't notice any but maybe there was.  Or maybe my optics were dirty.

Tech Hiker: did you have thin clouds and/or haze in front of the sun during totality?

#10 MEE

MEE

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 October 2023 - 09:34 PM

Where were you? Thin clouds, haze, or optics that weren’t pristine could cause that bleeding

#11 Tech Hiker

Tech Hiker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 October 2023 - 08:19 PM

I was in Fairmont Nebraska.  It was cloudy in the morning but cleared up nicely for totality.

Where were you? Thin clouds, haze, or optics that weren’t pristine could cause that bleeding

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics