•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mac vs. PC For Astronomy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
145 replies to this topic

#126 Rob Willett

Rob Willett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:15 AM

Not at my Mac so this is from memory.

Get yourself a Bluetooth phone.

Using the Bluetooth panel in the Systems Preference app, connect to your phone. You'll need to play about with it from here as I can't remember what I did. I'm also away from home (and my Mac) so can't try until after the weekend. I don't remember it being a big deal though.

One of the options on the Bluetooth panel is to use your mobile be a keyboard. I have a Nokia 6110i and managed to get some keys working but since my Mac is at home, I don;t do many presentations :) and so never took this any further.

#127 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:30 AM

Perhaps once Rob is back home with his Mac and phone, or if Pete or someone else figures it out before then, one of you can start up a separate thread dealing with "using your phone to control your Mac to do presentations..." :wron: Since, as Pete noted, this thread has strayed a bit. :smirk:

Da Mod

#128 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:58 AM

:whistle:

#129 hfoster

hfoster

Ranger 4

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:29 AM

Perhaps once Rob is back home with his Mac and phone, or if Pete or someone else figures it out before then, one of you can start up a separate thread dealing with "using your phone to control your Mac to do presentations..." :wron: Since, as Pete noted, this thread has strayed a bit. :smirk:Da Mod

A _bit_ may be something of an understatement!!!

I sure hope the guy (azsrr?) who started this thread got his question answered! I think it had something to do with whether he could use a Mac for astronomy. :)

Henrietta

#130 Nick Cook

Nick Cook

Apollo

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:35 AM

Astronomy, what's that then? ;)

#131 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:47 PM

I noticed the newest S&T Review (March 2007) about the Starry Night BlueStar (a Bluetooth telescope control device). They tested it using both a Mac (with built-in Bluetooth) and a PC (used a D-Link BT adapter).

According to the article, the Mac worked out of the box after a smooth install of the BlueStar Software. The Windows box had some problems but worked fine after a compatible adapter was found.

Interesting thing about the Mac... the author was able to control the telescopes with not only Starry Night Pro, but with Equinox, SkyChart III, and the new version of Voyager (but it was not displaying positions correctly), all using the BlueStar device. The Sky for Mac (OS 9) does not work. Hopefully the OS X version will.

Kind of cool, I thought, and it certainly puts the Mac square in as a field capable tool for controlling some scopes.

Also... some others were mentioning using their Bluetooth phones for controlling their presentations (Keynote, Powerpoint, etc) on their Macs. I use the IR remote that came with my MacBook Pro for that (it also brings up Front Row).

Bic

#132 pollux

pollux

artiste

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:00 AM

There's been a few times I thought about bringing my MBP to site if I have a GOTO scope. Then later think, I have had enough stuff to carry to the field and I don't want one more item that definitely puts me into the "alert mode" all the time.

So, if I am going for GOTO mounts I will just use the keypad of the mount and leave my laptop at home...

#133 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

Multi-button mice are fine for people who really understand computers. For the others, simplicity rules.

Hi Joe,

What could be simplier than a right mouse click? I think most people who've used PC's, whether extensively or not, understand the use of dual buttons. I'd be lost without them.

Patrick

#134 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:51 PM

Many of my users have no idea what to do with the right mouse button so Apple may have been on to something limiting it to one button. On the otherhand, two buttons is better than hitting a key then a button. :p

#135 pollux

pollux

artiste

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:10 PM

tapping the trackpad with two fingers will bring up the right click menu

Two fingers sliding on the trackpad will do the scrolling

Just in case you guys don't know. But you have to turn on those options in the System Preference

#136 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:20 PM

What could be simpler? A one button mouse. You'll just have to take my word for it that some people have a different comfort level with computers than you do. If the people I help had to deal with two buttons, they'd always be puzzled as to which button to use in which circumstances.

#137 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:06 PM

Actually, I think a two-button mouse is actually simpler, because the alternative is a mouse-click PLUS finding the proper keyboard combination. Some people will be confused no matter what -- it's the idea of cause and effect that throws them.

#138 Nick Cook

Nick Cook

Apollo

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:45 AM

I really miss the right click on the Mighty Mouse. Pressing 'CTRL' really isn't as fast. I will probably get myself another laser Logitech mouse for Mac, the best mouse out there in my experience on any platform.

Nick

#139 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:06 AM

Huh? There is a right click on the Mighty Mouse.
There's a right click, left click, 360 degree scroller, scroller button, and side squeeze too (4 buttons total).

CF

#140 Nick Cook

Nick Cook

Apollo

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:52 AM

When I read your mail, you had me puzzled, so I went to the setup for the mouse and sure enough you're right, it is just mine was set to be the same as left primary button by default. I ask you! Anyway thanks for the tip, I had been missing right mouse button action. Learn something new every day! ;)

Nick

#141 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:05 AM

LOL! Glad to help!

CF

#142 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:20 AM

Actually, I think a two-button mouse is actually simpler, because the alternative is a mouse-click PLUS finding the proper keyboard combination. Some people will be confused no matter what -- it's the idea of cause and effect that throws them.

This is "simpler" only if you're dealing with people who are aware of the right-click menu items, and who are likely to remember their existence from one time you talk to them to the next. Otherwise, a one-button mouse is ineffably simpler.

#143 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:15 PM

This is "simpler" only if you're dealing with people who are aware of the right-click menu items, and who are likely to remember their existence from one time you talk to them to the next. Otherwise, a one-button mouse is ineffably simpler.

It sounds like the folks you're working with are not the 'norm'. I think we're all assuming that once a feature is learned it will be remembered (for the most part) from session to session, and certainly after being used a number of times it would be incorporated into general use. I don't think any system being designed assumes less than that.

Patrick

#144 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:27 PM

Now you're catching on. As you've surmised, various people have varying levels of comprehension and memory retention. For example, my mother rarely remembers how to download pictures from her digital camera to her computer from one time to the next, and it's a very simple process. This is one reason I recommend the relatively simpler Mac to people who are not in any sense techies. They still have problems, but not as many as they would have otherwise.

#145 souris

souris

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:18 PM

I'd have to agree here...I have older parents who have enough to deal with and remember on their mac already than multiple buttons. In fact, mine prefer to do neither a right click (now that they've graduated to a two-button trackball) nor a control-left-click, but to click, then go to a pull-down menu and select a function.

I think what's often lost in these kinds of arguments is that there is no one answer, other than perhaps that "it depends." Computers should be an enabling technology and what ultimately matters is that you have the flexibility of choosing what works best for you, be it one, two, or 8 buttons.

#146 firestar

firestar

Born to be Mild

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:13 PM

buy a windows machine and custom build it using asus hardware.
I have never bought a dell,gateway,hp,sony etc.
I bought a cheap emachines desktop,gutted it learned about the workings of computers.
Do a search of asus,they make a huge anmount of computer hardware.
The astro physics of the computer world.
:whistle:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics