•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Baader T2 quick change vs. Baader Heavy Duty T2 Quick change

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 21 October 2023 - 07:59 PM

There is no question that the standard Quick Connect Ring is completely adequate for the task of holding even a heavy binoviewer in place.

The "Heavy Duty" version probably came into being because there were instances where people allowed the set screw on the older version to back out when not checked periodically. This is because the tip of the screw was just a rounded end, and this could actually be turned by the wall of the ring were the tip of the screw touched it (this is my theory) so that over a period of time, the rotation of the dovetail could loosen the screw, and if not checked periodically, could back out just enough to let the dovetail clear. Now this is my theory as to why people dropped expensive binoviewers. Most people said it was operator error, but I know that sometimes on a long session, I would find my screw a bit loose, and I developed this theory as to why that was happening. 

The new design uses a wedge shaped end that has more engagement, but more importantly, that will not rotate on its own. It is a superior design, but that is not to say that the old design is not capable of holding the binoviewer. I used them for many years and never had an issue, but I did check mine a few times during a session. With the new design, I find that once set, the engagement never changes over the length of a session. 

• RAKing, dawnpatrol, betacygni and 1 other like this

#27 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 22 October 2023 - 04:35 AM

Interesting, Eddgie - I've experienced the screw on my QuickChanger working itself loose too.

I mitigate the risk by tying a light line around the binoviewers and looping it around both focuser knobs. It may not catch the eyepieces (I expect the ClickLock collets will hold them) but my MkV's will not try to dent in the concrete.

Overall, I think the original QuickChanger is a poor design - Baader evidently agreed because they have an improved version.

#28 kroum

kroum

Apollo

• Loc: Santa Clara, CA

Posted 22 October 2023 - 10:53 PM

Interesting, Eddgie - I've experienced the screw on my QuickChanger working itself loose too.

I mitigate the risk by tying a light line around the binoviewers and looping it around both focuser knobs. It may not catch the eyepieces (I expect the ClickLock collets will hold them) but my MkV's will not try to dent in the concrete.

Overall, I think the original QuickChanger is a poor design - Baader evidently agreed because they have an improved version.

I definitely don’t think it is justified to call it a poor design.  It is simple, effective, and significantly more cost effective.

Allowing the setscrew to work itself loose is simply user error.  It is simply incorrect use of the quick changer to rotate the binoviewer without first loosening then more importantly: re-tightening the setscrew.

Is the heavy duty version an improvement on the design?  Yes.  At the expense of almost twice the cost.  

It is good to have the option, but as far as bang for your buck, the regular quick changer is the superior design.

#29 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 23 October 2023 - 03:01 AM

I definitely don’t think it is justified to call it a poor design.  It is simple, effective, and significantly more cost effective. ..

.. It is good to have the option, but as far as bang for your buck, the regular quick changer is the superior design.

Ok - can we agree to disagree?

In all honesty, $30 difference for an accessory at retail probably translates to $5 at manufacture. When you think of a system with MkV + GPC + eyepieces, $30 is just noise. This is why I believe Baader skimped.

Having thought about it, I will doubtless have a local machine shop produce an even better ring than the so called 'heavy duty' version. I'll still continue with a bit of string though.

• tturtle likes this

#30 Spikey131

Spikey131

Aurora

Posted 30 October 2023 - 09:33 PM

Well, I have four of them and the cost adds up.

Spend your money however you like.  But I find that the standard version works just fine.

• RAKing likes this

#31 tturtle

tturtle

Apollo

• Loc: Florida

Posted 31 October 2023 - 06:50 AM

Reading these comments (and the rather comically strong opinions expressed!) it’s clear that not all binoviewer configurations are the same.  Some are significantly lighter and also the connecting ring can be placed after or before the diagonal. My setup is really at the extreme end in terms of stress on this connection with a very heavy couple of 32mm TV Plossls, 2 Celestron barlows, MBII BV, and the Baader Zeiss diagonal (in addition to the GPC) all of which besides weighing a ton, adds up to close to $1000 plus I have the ring positioned before the diagonal. When I attach this heavy sucker onto the scope in the dark, I don’t have any regrets about the money spent on the heavy duty version for this critical connection.

Attached Thumbnails

• 9028ECAD-8CD0-424E-A687-9DA790A863C5.jpeg

Edited by tturtle, 31 October 2023 - 08:52 AM.

• denis0007dl and Spikey131 like this

#32 quercuslobata

quercuslobata

Mariner 2

• Loc: Indiana, USA

Posted 17 March 2024 - 08:41 AM

Old thread by hoping someone could help me to understand the dizzying number of adapters offered by Baader.

Does the quick change adapter screw directly onto the SCT or is there another part that is needed to couple the SCT threads on the scope to the quick change adapter and if so, which is the best one to use?

#33 betacygni

betacygni

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:23 AM

Old thread by hoping someone could help me to understand the dizzying number of adapters offered by Baader.

Does the quick change adapter screw directly onto the SCT or is there another part that is needed to couple the SCT threads on the scope to the quick change adapter and if so, which is the best one to use?

The quick changer uses a T2 thread, so you’ll need a part that adapts down from the SCT threads to a T2 thread. I don’t personally own a SCT, so take this recommendation with a grain of salt, but I believe this is what you need: https://agenaastro.c...t-2958500b.html

Edited by betacygni, 17 March 2024 - 09:23 AM.

• RAKing likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics