•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron PowerSeeker 127EQ

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 Savvynix

Savvynix

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 February 2024 - 08:29 PM

I bought this scope used.. not too bad of a deal, my wife and I are enjoying time with each other and viewing objects in the night sky. She loves the moon, captured Jupiter with ours and also saw a very faint Orion Nebula with it. The mount is horrible, I am learning how to get around it. I am a problem solver. so figuring out ways around the products flaws is kind of worth it. Yes I do intend to upgrade. However as a first scope if something happens by all means no real great loss. However I am learning how to use the mount, I am learning how to focus, Learning how to align the finder scope, how to change eyepieces. we had a very good session with it. I have a log in the beginners forum here.

The scope is what it is. I am learning how to manipulate it and get it to work for what it is.

I intend to upgrade the mount, then see if the experience is better with the better mount, of course I will be upgrading the telescope next.

Regards

Savvynix

Clear Skies

#52 Cat Fish

Cat Fish

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 April 2024 - 08:10 AM

There is so much hate with this scope. I picked one up for $50. I couldn't pass it up for some reason or another. The equatorial mount did seem loose. There is a glued on plastic cap that need to be removed and you will find a nut that needs tighter just a bit. That fixes that issue of shaking. The finder scope is trash. Thats needed an upgrade. If you already have other eye pieces, are fine with the collimation process. There is nothing wrong with it. It's a tad heavy. I can see the same things as one of my more expensive scopes. Other than the issues I seen, it's a fine scope. And yes, I do use it. I usually set up 2 scopes at night. Plus, I did have what the scope needed for improvements. And it was $50. 

#53 RichA

RichA

Voyager 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 10 June 2024 - 05:23 PM

Before you throw it away, save the scope rings. They are worth more than the entire scope.

And sometimes, sizes are no longer available. 

#54 Bob W4

Bob W4

Ranger 4

• Loc: Waterloo, iowa

Posted 16 June 2024 - 09:37 PM

An acquantice picked one up for 10 bucks at a garage sale.  When he showed it to me and asked for my opinion after an examination, I truly felt bad for telling him he got screwed out of 10 bucks.  What a P.O.S. optically and mechanically !!!  It is ironic that Celestron was sued for price fixing the good stuff, but is legally allowed to sell this S@&รท to the unsepectipid consumer.

Edited by Bob W4, 16 June 2024 - 09:42 PM.

#55 sunrag

sunrag

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carmel, Indiana

Posted 17 June 2024 - 10:17 AM

I don't know why you are so negative about this. It is good enough if you can get it for under $50. Try making a telescope yourself, you will be shocked at the cost of parts. Even basic hardware (screws, nuts) will cost you more than $10. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics