•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is everything out of stock due to the past or future?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Ty Williams

Ty Williams

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Licking County, Ohio

Posted 03 November 2023 - 02:20 PM

I'm trying to find filters for the April '24 eclipse and almost everything I look at is out of stock. Is stuff out of stock due to people buying equipment for the partial about a month ago (in which case I just have to wait for stock to come back) or is stuff already out of stock because of the total next year (in which case I could be in big trouble)?

Just trying to figure out priorities and planning.

Thanks guys.

#2 SporadicGazer

SporadicGazer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Posted 03 November 2023 - 02:42 PM

Yes.  smile.gif

Hard to know, but I'm pretty sure both eclipses, plus the approaching solar maximum, are putting pressure on the supply.

Depending on what you're looking for I think you still have pretty good chances of finding stock before April.  Of course the more flexible you are willing to be the better your odds.  The manufacturers have max'd production and product continues to come out, but as they schedule batches there isn't any guarantee they'll get to any specific item in time.

I'd get my order(s) in, because it probably won't be getting better for a significant while and as we close in on April it'll probably get worse (at least for the low-end, e.g. eclipse glasses.)

• jrussell likes this

#3 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 05 November 2023 - 02:32 PM

I am seeing Baader solar film still widely available and with this it is a simple task to create a filter to fit whatever optics you own.  Choose the 5.0 for safe visual, and 3.5 for hi res photo only.

#4 dghundt

dghundt

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 November 2023 - 08:53 AM

My premade solar filter was stolen (by airport baggage handlers) back in 2017, days prior to the eclipse. 

I was lucky to find some solar film from a generous Cloudy Nights member, and headed to the local dollar tree for craft supplies.  Worked great, but hard to pack and take home.

Edited by dghundt, 09 November 2023 - 08:53 AM.

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics