•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So would you have handle this situation the same or differently?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Kim2010

Kim2010

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2023 - 03:13 AM

But that wasn’t the situation, this was an entitled individual intruding on someone’s evening. I don’t get how the adage you cite applies here.

Exactly :)

#27 michaeledward64

michaeledward64

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Hampshire USA

Posted 18 December 2023 - 10:12 AM

But that wasn’t the situation, this was an entitled individual intruding on someone’s evening. I don’t get how the adage you cite applies here.

I pretty certain I was referencing first person behaviors. I have control only over myself. Just because another is rude, it does not mean that we need to respond in kind.

I read all too frequently of people getting shot with guns for ringing a doorbell.

#28 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 23 December 2023 - 01:25 PM

I think you handled it pretty well.

The only thing thst comes to mind that you might have done is explain that you don't have an eyepiece, so no one can look through it. Show him the camers sticking out the back, explain that it tskes time to set up, and then offer a view on another night.

This guy wanted to do his kid a favor, so offering him an alternative would de-escalate the situation. Pushy people are out there, and you cannot give in to them when they are in the wrong, or you will have no peace.

#29 Mike G.

Mike G.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 23 December 2023 - 07:39 PM

A few times a year our club does outreach at some of the local metro parks events, which take place during the day, typically.  Often, being near Lake Erie, the skies are clouded out and yet we still set up a couple solar scopes and a table with free stuff and membership info for the club.  It's outreach, and the Metro Parks have other things going on  so people come for all kinds of reasons.  Invariably, parents of children or the children themselves will ask to look through a scope when there is nothing to look at.  In most cases, the simple, "well, it's quite cloudy so you cant see anything right now - when you can't see the sun with your eyes, you can't see it with a telescope either."  works.  Still, some want to look through a scope regardless. In these cases, the most frequent reaction is to say, OK, and let them look.  When they can't see anything, they seem puzzled.  I don't know where this comes from. 

Obviously, with an AP/EAA setup, you are not going to be able to let them step up and take a look.  I think my reaction at that point would have been to tell the father that your telescope is only for use with a camera and does not have the capacity for 'looking through'.  A bit of an exaggeration perhaps, but it may have gotten the point across to the father trying to show his kid something new.  After that, any insistence oh his part would have been met with a simple 'no' and repeating the part about not being a visual scope from me.  your reaction was fine IMO.

#30 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 23 December 2023 - 11:18 PM

I'm late to the party but here's my take:  Not being there to read the guy myself, he sounds a little "thick".  I'm a teacher, I'd switch into teacher mode and explain that I didn't happen to bring a visual-use scope and 'Sorry, this rig only takes photos.  I can't even look through it...'  I'd then have to see if that got through or not.

To quote someone, "People, they're the worst!"

• Jon Isaacs, Kim2010 and Mike G. like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics