•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Strongly Considering an Apple Mac

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
226 replies to this topic

#226 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 05 January 2004 - 09:21 AM

I kept having "freezes" in the photo printing software from Epson so I, not one to overlook any excuse to upgrade, went out and bought Panther - the next OS from Apple. Took over an hour and a half to install all the software on that little laptop. Ufh-dah!

Long an short; the little sucker is faster by a hair. The software mentioned above works like a champ now; which just encourages me to behave similarily in the future.

I sprung for a 512MB memory upgrade too, but that has yet to arrive.

So far I have only tested some of the cool features of Panther but I'm only impressed with the new found speed and extra stability (even if it only forces other programs to run better). Encouraged by this I went ahead and downloaded OpenOffice.org (runs under X only, not an Aqua interface yet). Have not played with it too much. I found I needed some kind of Office Suite for the Apple. With Office Suites for BeOS, Windows, Linux and OS/2 one would think the last thing I needed as an Office Suite for Apple. But when you're working on one computer in one room, it's a pain to to move to another (room and computer) to open an email attachment or write a letter.

I've very curious to see how the memory upgrade will affect the speed of the laptop now.

#227 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 06 January 2004 - 07:16 PM

Added the 512 SODIMM do bring up my total memory to 640MB on my laptop. Darn thing has more memory than my desktop! Boot time is about 1/3 of before. Very fast. Seems reasonable now.

Launching OpenOffice.org (OOo) was still unimpressive. Hoping to see some good times processing images. For giggles I launched EquinoX and it was FAST! The combination of the new faster OS and this memory has been impressive. It's like I bumped the CPU speed up to 1.8Ghz or something. Even FilmFactory is faster. Happy happy happy, life is good!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics