•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Apogee Binos

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 AJTony

AJTony

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:04 AM

Just saw the new "semi-apo" Apogee binos on their website.
It looks like they are finally moving away from the straight thru viewing giant binos. Went right by 45 degree to 90 degrees.

http://www.apogeeinc.../binos.html#top

AJ

#2 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:22 AM

My wife would kill me............

#3 AJTony

AJTony

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:49 AM

Funny you should say that. When I first brought up the site, my wife walked in and looked over my shoulder.

Her only comment, "NOT another pair of binoculars."

More emphasis on the "not" than can be translated into text.

AJ

#4 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:51 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 16 June 2004 - 06:53 PM

My wife gave me "The Look", and threatened even greater bodily and psychological damage than I received last time. Pray for my survival.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:19 AM

I am getting married in Sept. Fortunately my fiance is already well aware of my appetite for astronomical equipment...how much will she graciously allow in the future? Time will tell. I am already dropping small, subtle hints of a future BT-100 purchase....a little pyschological trick...

#7 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:45 AM

I don't think you can fool her with those Jedi mind tricks. I suspect the force is strong with her. ;)

#8 John Hoare

John Hoare

I is who I is

Posted 18 June 2004 - 03:25 AM

There are certain advantages to being single again...

I've seen a few of these binoculars that have 45° and 90° eyepieces. What strikes me is that it might make more sense to buy one that accepts standard 1.25" eyepieces in helical focusers than to be tied to a manufacturer's limited range of options. The big ones in the 80-100mm range should effectively be paired wide-field refractors anyway, or as near as makes no difference.

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:27 AM

Exactly John. This is why I am interested in Oberwerk's BT-100. Although the EPs are not at 45 degrees (which could be really cool), I can get over that with a p-mount.

#10 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:09 AM

John said - "I've seen a few of these binoculars that have 45° and 90° eyepieces. What strikes me is that it might make more sense to buy one that accepts standard 1.25" eyepieces in helical focusers than to be tied to a manufacturer's limited range of options. The big ones in the 80-100mm range should effectively be paired wide-field refractors anyway, or as near as makes no difference."

The 100 mm Miyauchi binoculars do have barrels sligthly larger than 1.25". The Miyauchi eyepieces have o-rings that fit grooves cut into the barrel sides. This prevents the eyepieces from sliding out when the binoculars are elevated. Additionally the eyepiece construction is such that the field lens are very close to the barrel ends. This design is such so that focus can be reached. I have tried numerous conventional eyepieces thinking that if focus could be reached I could buy additional eyepieces to make pairs. Well most cannot even come close to coming to focus, just cannot focus in enough to get there. The old Meade Research Grade Series and the Orion Explorer orthos will work if you unscrew the lower barrel and drop the eyepieces in, but then you cannot fish them out easily.

One other consideration is the fact that these binoculars have built in stops at the bottom of the eyepiece receptacle barrel; so even if a wide field eyepiece would come to focus, it's field size would be governed by the smaller binocular field stop then it's own wide angle field stop.

I can't speak to the geometry in respect to reaching focus and field stops with the Oberwerk BT-100.

Barry Simon

#11 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:39 AM

The Oberwerk BT100 also has an O ring that holds the eyepieces securely in place. In this case the O ring is in the focuser barrel. I have not seen any sort of a field stop inside the focuser. It's a clear path through the focuser to the prisms.

I have tried over a dozen different 1.25" eyepieces in the BT100. No problems reaching focus with any of them. The straight thru focuser holds eyepieces very snug and securely. I haven't found a one yet that would be able to slide out, even if the BT100 were pointed straight up.

edz

#12 Raymond

Raymond

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:14 AM

Just ordered a pair of Apogee RA-88-SA a few days ago. Not sure whether other 1.25 eyepieces will focus or not but will try a pair of 20mmXW.

Besides widefield visual, I intend to use it as a web cam guidescope as well, where I could easily find an alignment star through one eye-piece and the other eye-piece for webcam.

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 18 June 2004 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for sharing that little bit of information EdZ. I'll add that to my growing BT-100 spec information library. Very good to know.

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 June 2004 - 06:12 AM

Did you get them yet? Whatcha think?

Thanks!

-Jeff

#15 Raymond

Raymond

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2004 - 12:55 AM

I sent an e-mail to Kendrick a week ago enquiring on the expected delivery date but no reply has been received from them so far.

#16 Raymond

Raymond

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:48 AM

Does anyone know the approximate delivery date of these new Apogee RA-88-SA binoculars ?

Up to now I have not received any notification e-mail from Kendrick Astro Instruments.

Raymond

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics