•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best ways to share the view

5 replies to this topic

#1 Ps191

Ps191

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: E. OR

Posted 22 November 2023 - 01:20 AM

Hello everyone:

I've been asked to provide telescope views* of the 2024 solar eclipse. At past eclipses people would rotated past the telescopes and viewed the event visually. This worked great for the dozen people I’ve had in the past, but for this next ellipse I’m told to expect around 80 people.

What’s some good ways to share telescope views of this event with large crowds? Sun gun or similar projector? EAA? Something else?

Current equipment that may be relevant include:
- Losmandy GM8
- AT102
- Lunt 60
- Various eyepieces but the 17.5, 12.5, and 9mm Morpheus with threads may be the most relevant.

To date I’m a visual astronomer only. Cameras of some type may be the best option, but I know very little about such things. I’m open to this option but electrics should be budget friendly, easy to use, and if possible multi use. Used equipment is an exceptionable option.

Thanks for the help. I’ll check back in and answer any questions.

* Typically these views are just pre/post totality, I encourage everyone to enjoy the unaided view during totality.

#2 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Vanguard

Posted 22 November 2023 - 07:21 AM

Google Sunfunnel.

#3 foxwoodastronomy

foxwoodastronomy

Vendor - Solar Eclipse Timer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 22 November 2023 - 07:57 AM

I have always been interested in the Sunspotter device so I broke down and bought one for the annular eclipse knowing that I could use it at the annular and the total. It is not necessarily budget-friendly because mine cost me just over $350, but it is a safe way to show many people simultaneously what is happening with the partial phases.  When I got mine, I was actually impressed with the build quality.  It does take constant maintenance to keep it aimed at the Sun.  But people enjoyed repositioning it themselves.  I took a hint from another person in Texas (Jm Haley) who said he made pointing it easier by putting it on a larger lazy Susan to help turn it smoothly in the horizontal direction.   I build a custom lazy Susan with a compass rose and leveling legs.  It worked great at the annular.

Attached Thumbnails

• A1 device partiial CN 600px.jpg
  • A2 device annulusl CN 600px.jpg

• Jim Haley, stubeeef, brionl and 2 others like this

#4 stubeeef

stubeeef

Apollo

• Loc: SW NC

Posted 22 November 2023 - 04:57 PM

https://www.cloudyni...d-a-sun-funnel/

#5 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 22 November 2023 - 09:30 PM

I use a form of cheap EAA.  The rig uses a Meade electronic EP and sends its signal to a small TV/monitor.  It works w/ any scope that has a white light filter.  I've used Astroscans on EQ platforms, regular SCTs, and dobs on EQ platforms, all to good effect.

#6 Ps191

Ps191

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: E. OR

Posted 23 November 2023 - 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I realize now that I'll need multiple telescopes and probably multiple methods of viewing the sun. 80 people is a large group and I expect more may join before April. If I can setup five telescopes that would provide one viewing spot for around 16 people.

The Sunfunnel sounds like a good option. What is the science behind using a larger funnel to create a larger image easier seen by more people?

My current viewing experience is with Mylar solar film. How does rear projection and EAA compare to film for resolution and details?

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics