•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Photography with Phone & I-pad

Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 woodswalker88

woodswalker88

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 28 November 2023 - 01:49 PM

I'm a rank beginner with a set of binocs, plus I was just gifted with a scope last night. I do have a tripod, and I am trying to learn to photograph the moon & night sky with my Android Phone or iPad. In fact I even saw on youtube where someone used a phone camera to capture the Milky Way. (Of course you can't see much of that around here in suburban SE PA.) 

As yet I have had no luck doing moon shots with the camera on my Android Moto G Phone.  As yet I don't understand what the settings should be. ISO 800? What shutter speed? 

Has anyone used an iPad for photography? It has a nice big screen.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 28 November 2023 - 02:32 PM

Normal noise.  DSO astrophotography has very low signal strength.  You're basically trying to tease a TINY signal from a sea of all kinds of noise, using a variety of tactics.

The best one is doing more total imaging time.  Signal increases about linearly with time, noise increases about as the square root of time.  So you win.

Skill at processing is important in realizing that gain.  So are tactics like taking the camera calibration frames: bias, flats, darks.

At a more advanced level, people use cooled astrophotography cameras, which are low noise.  Your phone and iPad add a lot of noise.

The pretty pictures do NOT come easy.  This is harder and more complicated than most all beginners think it is.

Knowledge is crucial, this is not intuitive.  Here's the best $50 you'll ever spend in DSO imaging, a book that discusses how to accomplish this difficult task better.

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/0999470949

Edited by bobzeq25, 28 November 2023 - 02:36 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics