•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Es 30mm 82 or 30mm uff?

Explore Scientific Eyepieces Dob
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 T-rav82

T-rav82

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2023 - 04:05 AM

Hello everyone, what do people think will perform better in a 8” , f6 dob between an explore scientific 30 mm 82 and of a number of other 30mm uff eps? Apart from weight, I have been considering the differences in price, fov and reported problems at the edge of view. Price difference does not bother me too much, more performance. Other considerations are my age ( early 40’s) and that most viewing is done from a light polluted area. I have read a lot of mixed opinions, as usual…
Thanks in advance

#2 pierce

pierce

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 29 November 2023 - 04:19 AM

a 205mm  f/6 scope, that's 1640 mm focal length, so your 30mm eyepiece will be 55X

i'm not sure what  your question is?   I have the ES82 30mm eyepiece, its a very big piece of glass, and in the f/5 scope I sometimes used it, the exit pupil exceeded what my 69 yr old eyes was happy with.   in a longer FL scope its awesome.

IMHO, the  ES82 series are very close to the quality of the TV Naglers.

#3 T-rav82

T-rav82

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2023 - 04:56 AM

a 205mm  f/6 scope, that's 1640 mm focal length, so your 30mm eyepiece will be 55X

i'm not sure what  your question is?   I have the ES82 30mm eyepiece, its a very big piece of glass, and in the f/5 scope I sometimes used it, the exit pupil exceeded what my 69 yr old eyes was happy with.   in a longer FL scope its awesome.

IMHO, the  ES82 series are very close to the quality of the TV Naglers.

Thanks for the reply, the scope has 203mm with a focal lenght of 1200mm so f/5.9.

I have heard some negative reports regarding the performance of the es 30mm 82, sometimes because of the weight (too much for the focuser), sometimes because of the image quality at the edge (perhaps due to exit pupil; and age of the observer?). 

I do not yet fully understand these things so was wandering if the es ep would perform well in my situation or whether it would be better to use another 30mm uff (APM?) which has smaller fov but does not suffer those issues

#4 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 29 November 2023 - 04:58 AM

I wouldn't leave the Astro-Tech 28mm UWA out of consideration. And remember, it's the field stop that defines how wide an eyepiece "sees", not it's focal length. 

Plus, the slightly higher magnification will help with possible exit pupil issues, and it will darken the background a bit.

Read a little in this topic:

https://www.cloudyni...otech-28mm-uwa/

• sevenofnine, Jethro7, Echolight and 1 other like this

#5 pierce

pierce

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 29 November 2023 - 05:09 AM

Thanks for the reply, the scope has 203mm with a focal lenght of 1200mm so f/5.9.

I have heard some negative reports regarding the performance of the es 30mm 82, sometimes because of the weight (too much for the focuser), sometimes because of the image quality at the edge (perhaps due to exit pupil; and age of the observer?). 

I do not yet fully understand these things so was wandering if the es ep would perform well in my situation or whether it would be better to use another 30mm uff (APM?) which has smaller fov but does not suffer those issues

ok with a 1200 FL, that eyepiece is 40X.    and with 203mm aperture at 40X, the exit pupil is about 5mm.   young eyes will be fine.   my late 60 yr old eyes which have a fair amount astigmatism are not fine at that, even with my glasses.  

• T-rav82 likes this

#6 Jethro7

Jethro7

Skylab

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 29 November 2023 - 05:18 AM

Hello everyone, what do people think will perform better in a 8” , f6 dob between an explore scientific 30 mm 82 and of a number of other 30mm uff eps? Apart from weight, I have been considering the differences in price, fov and reported problems at the edge of view. Price difference does not bother me too much, more performance. Other considerations are my age ( early 40’s) and that most viewing is done from a light polluted area. I have read a lot of mixed opinions, as usual…
Thanks in advance

Hello T-rav82,

The ES 30 82° Eyepiece is heavy and will require using counter weights like heavy bar magnets wrapped in Duct Tape placed near the bottom of your Dob in order to achieve proper balance. I use a TV 31NT5 and this eyepiece was Love at first light and performance wise, Tele Vue's are hard to beat but expensive, the 31 Nagler caused me to go all Tele Vue for my single focal length eyepieces.  (Counter weights are a must) WTBS, The 30 UFF is much smaller and lighter and should work without adding counter weights. When it comes to eyepiece choices, you will receive alot of different advice here on the forum and all will be correct, by the perspectives of each member.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

https://www.highpoin...yepiece-en5-310

https://www.apm-tele...eyepiece-70-fov

Take a look at this 28mm UWA from Astrotech 

https://www.astronom...2-eyepiece.html

Edited by Jethro7, 29 November 2023 - 05:31 AM.

• ColonelPanic and T-rav82 like this

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 November 2023 - 06:10 AM

My two cents:

My collection includes the 31mm Nagler, the 30mm UFF, the 28mm UWA as well as the 35mm and 41 mm Panoptics.  I have a friend with an Explore Scientific 30 mm 82 degree that I have compared to the 31mm Nagler.  

- The 31mm Nagler is the king of the hill and has been since it was introduced in 1999. It is very sharp across the field even in fast scopes, it is an amazing eyepiece. It is also a very heavy eyepiece (1000 grams 36 ounces) and expensive ($700)

- The 30mm ES 82 degree,  This is an eyepiece that is "copied" off the 31mm Nagler.  It is not as sharp across the field as the Nagler but still a very good performer.  It is also very heavy and expensive,  ($500)  For many years, this eyepiece sold for $250-$300 and was an affordable alternative to the 31mm Nagler.  That is no longer true.

- The 30mm UFF.  This eyepiece is a recent addition to the market.  It does not owe it's direct heritage to the 31mm Nagler or any other TeleVue eyepiece, Rather, it is new design. Markus Ludes of APM commissioned Mark Achermann to design the 30mm UFF and it is a winner.  It offers a wide, very sharp field of view in a package that is about half the weight of the 31 mm Nagler and ES 30mm.   The true field is narrower than the 31mm Nagler by 14%, not a great deal, and it offers plenty of eye relief.  I use mine frequently.  It is an excellent eyepiece and at $189, it's a true bargain.

- 28mm UWA.  This is an eyepiece that owes it's heritage to the 31mm Nagler.  It was introduced about 2006 and was the first competitor that offered anything like comparable performance. At that time, it was sold as the William Optics 28mm UWAN.  I had one but it was hampered by a large diameter twist up eye cup that made it impossible to see the entire field with looking through the eyepiece sideways,, 

The UWAN was redesigned mechanically to eliminate the large eye cup, the new version is a vast improvement and has become my favorite.  It is quite sharp across the field, not quite as sharp as the 31mm Nagler but still very good. I see comparisons the ES 30mm, very similar. I measured the AFoV of the 28mm UWA at 84 degrees and the field stop at 40.8mm.  It provides nearly as wide a field as the 31mm Nagler but at 10% greater magnification.  It is much lighter than the 31mm Nagler, 680 grams versus 1000 grams and at $200, another high quality eyepiece at an bargain price.  

Here is a photo comparing the sizes, the 30mm ES 82 degree is very close in size and weight to the 31mm Nagler.

Astro-Tech 28 mm and friends 1.jpg

Personally, though I have the 31mm Nagler and the Panoptics, I generally choose between the 28mm UWA and the 30mm UFF, that is how good they are.  Part of that is the lighter weight but I am not giving up much if anything to get that lighter weight.   If you wear glasses at the eyepiece, the 30mm UFF is the way to go, otherwise, both are great choices.

Jon

• Illinois, areyoukiddingme, BFaucett and 5 others like this

#8 Avgvstvs

Avgvstvs

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Hemisphere

Posted 29 November 2023 - 06:22 AM

I had the TV Nag31 Type V & ES 30/82 degree but have settled on the old trusty 35mm Panoptic in my older age. Not as exciting but a comfortable field that inexperienced observers find easier to view through. Other than that the Pentax XW 30 & 40 are also first class performers.

• T-rav82 likes this

#9 Echolight

Echolight

Voyager 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 29 November 2023 - 07:14 AM

The ES82 30mm was too heavy for me to consider.

I wasn't worried about the focuser. But the imbalance of the scope, causing it to tip forward unless some manner of quickly adjustable countermeasures were used.

I would get the 28 UWA instead.

Edited by Echolight, 29 November 2023 - 07:16 AM.

• Jethro7 and T-rav82 like this

#10 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Cosmos

Posted 29 November 2023 - 12:22 PM

I would say that it's also between the 30 APM and 28 UWA. The performance of the 28 and 30 ES are going to be pretty close, but I think without a coma corrector, the 28 would perform better.

And the 30 APM is going to be optically best of the group, but with a noticeably narrower field, but better eye relief. It's also the best weight wise for maintaining balance.

• Dave Mitsky, JOEinCO and T-rav82 like this

#11 zman2100

zman2100

Vostok 1

• Loc: Jacksonville, FL

Posted 29 November 2023 - 12:44 PM

I got my 30mm UFF in yesterday and somehow was able to use it same day. I spent about an hour sketching the Pleiades a few weeks back using the GSO 30mm Superview so I knew instantly upon putting the UFF on the Pleiades that it was an upgrade. To my eye it was slightly sharper, particularly around the edges, and the FOV was a bit wider too. I am very much looking forward to getting to use it more.

I bought the Sky Rover branded eyepiece from AliExpress, which is identical to the APM, Celestron Ultima, etc. They retail for around $160, and there's currently a coupon for $20 off $150, so all in it was $140. 

• Dave Mitsky and T-rav82 like this

#12 star69

star69

Viking 1

• Loc: 32°17′N 90°11′W

Posted 29 November 2023 - 05:03 PM

Another vote for the 30mm UFF or the 28mm UWA with the latter having the largest true FoV in my arsenal. I don't have a Nagler. I am sure the ES82/30mm is a good eyepiece, but these two (30mm UFF and 28mm UWA) meet a price to performance ratio that can't be overlooked. 

-Kevin

• BFaucett likes this

#13 Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Vanguard

• Loc: SW Missouri

Posted 29 November 2023 - 07:29 PM

I've used both the 28mm UWA and 30mm UFF in an 8" f/6. Both are winners and a bargain for the quality. Easy decision here. If you are not going to be wearing glasses, go with the 28mm UWA, if wearing glasses, go with the 30mm UFF.

Here's a caveat, I think EyepiecesEct is selling the APM 30mm UFF for less than you can get a 28mm UWA for. Even if you don't wear glasses now, you might down the road, or a guest might.

https://www.eyepiece..._p/17102030.htm

Edited by Neanderthal, 29 November 2023 - 07:34 PM.

• Dave Mitsky and areyoukiddingme like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Explore Scientific, Eyepieces, Dob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics