•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help verifying something

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 droid

droid

rocketman

• topic starter
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 29 November 2023 - 04:37 AM

For those of you who own a long focal length refractor.

And own the astrotech 10mm UWA 

Would yall check to see how the 10mm works in the long focal length refractor.

2 Inch diagonal with a 1.25 adaptor and a straight up 1.25 diagonal  and let me know how it goes?

Please  and thank you 

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Skylab

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 29 November 2023 - 05:05 AM

When you're asking "how it goes", are you concerned with the image being "cut off" somehow?  How "long" of a Focal Length do you want -- f/11, f/15, or something else?

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 Jethro7

Jethro7

Aurora

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 29 November 2023 - 05:41 AM

Hello Droid,

I'm not sure what you are asking?  I prefer  using a 13mm 100° than the 10mm 100° in my Altair 102 F/11. The choice was personal. Both eyepieces worked fine,  I just preferred the Views though the 13mm better. 

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 29 November 2023 - 05:42 AM.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 November 2023 - 07:15 AM

Andy:

What do you want to know?  Why do you think it might not work in a longer focal length refractor?  

For me, the choice of focal lengths depends on the object, I don't see how one can generalize.  

Jon

• TOMDEY and Bean614 like this

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:02 AM

Any decent 10mm eyepiece should work well with a decent slow refractor, with zero unpleasant surprises. The slow feed shouldn't stress the eyepiece at all. The Nagler 9mm would be a good premium comparison. Are you asking whether Astrotech eyepieces are worth buying or not? The ~economy~ vs ~premium~ eyepiece debate has been going on forever. The general consensus is that each is well worth its price. At 3x the cost, the premium eyepiece should score higher on some performance metrics. So it then becomes the question of whether one Nagler is worth about the same as a set of three Astrotech UWA's for users of slow refractors. --- and that's more of a personal preference choice. --- no one universal right answer.   Tom

#6 droid

droid

rocketman

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2023 - 11:15 AM

Ok , short story version.

The weather has been horrid for long time.

Jupiter is close and showing a lot of detail in small scopes, so I grabbed the C102 HD refractor and the 3 1.25 inch AT  uwa eyepieces I own, the 16, 13, 10mm

The C102 has always needed more infocus than anyone of my scopes. The ATs need more infocus than any of my eyepieces. The 10 was my last purchase and has never gotten much play due to the weather. Anyways...the 16, and 13 both worked, then the 10 showed me a large black donut with a fuzzy image like way at the other end of a loooonnnggg tunnel.

That brought the Jupiter run to a halt.

I have since torn the C102 apart, took the main lenses out , cleaned them, verified they are oriented correctly, and checked the baffles visually. All good so far as I can see.

The only thing I can think is maybe the draw tubes a tad long???

If need be I can shorten it, but I was wondering if anyone else has/ had a similar problem.

I was using my Orion enhanced 1.25 inch diagonal

#7 droid

droid

rocketman

• topic starter

Posted 13 December 2023 - 06:52 AM

Ok, finally got a clear night. The 10mm works fine in the 2102, better in the 80mm WA scope.

So as I suspected,  the focuser in the C102 HD is the problem.

Problem solved,  lol

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics