•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M31 with 40 hours

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Atila2003

Atila2003

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Castilblanco de los Arroyos (Sevilla-EspaƱa)

Posted 29 November 2023 - 07:28 AM

This is probably my fifth or sixth astrophotography image, I haven't even been in this hobby for six months. I considered making Andromeda as seriously as possible but without much knowledge. Fortunately I can work from my large terrace in Bortle 4/5 and taking advantage of a few days of good weather and fair/good vision I shot about 120 images a day on average for seven almost consecutive days.

They were on the 11th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th of this month of November 2023. On the 16th and 18th I shot with an SVBony SV220 narrow band filter, a total of 14.5 hours, the rest with a UV filter /IR, in total 27 hours.

The main problem has been the processing, initially I did it with Siril, I like this software but I couldn't do some things with it, 4 days ago I downloaded the 45-day trial version of Pixinsight, I watched a 7-part starter course on Spanish on Youtube and after several attempts this is the result I have been able to obtain, I am still not satisfied, I hope that when I improve my knowledge of Pixi I can improve this processing. I will possibly do another 15/20 hours of narrow band.

The shots were taken with a Canon 70-200 F4 first version lens at F:6.3 with a Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 mount and a Player One Ares-C IMX533 camera.
UV/IR exposures of 90/120 and 180 sec. and with SV220 filter at 600 sec.

I'm sorry for my bad English.

There is a big blur when reducing it to 500 KB.

Link to Astrobin:https://www.astrobin.com/padaz5/

Attached Thumbnails

• M31_Foros-Peq.jpg

Edited by Atila2003, 29 November 2023 - 12:46 PM.

• Elusivephotons, stardustborn, psandelle and 12 others like this

#2 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 29 November 2023 - 09:33 AM

You astrophotographers beat yourself up too much! It's stunning! Art is in the eye of the creator. 

• Robert7980 likes this

#3 bsturges

bsturges

Vostok 1

• Loc: Walnut Grove, Missouri

Posted 29 November 2023 - 09:50 AM

You're off to a fantastic start with only 6 months in! Amazing detail in the arm structure. You may want to try Astro Pixel Processor. Pixinsight is a very labor intensive program which can risk causing burnout- but the concepts you have learned with Pixi will pay off with whatever processing program you use in the future. 

#4 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Albany, Mississippi, USA

Posted 29 November 2023 - 10:09 AM

This is probably my fifth or sixth astrophotography image, I haven't even been in this hobby for six months. I considered making Andromeda as seriously as possible but without much knowledge. Fortunately I can work from my large terrace in Bortle 4/5 and taking advantage of a few days of good weather and fair/good vision I shot about 120 images a day on average for seven almost consecutive days.

They were on the 11th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th of this month of November 2023. On the 16th and 18th I shot with an SVBony SV220 narrow band filter, a total of 14.5 hours, the rest with a UV filter /IR, in total 27 hours.

The main problem has been the processing, initially I did it with Siril, I like this software but I couldn't do some things with it, 4 days ago I downloaded the 45-day trial version of Pixinsight, I watched a 7-part starter course on Spanish on Youtube and after several attempts this is the result I have been able to obtain, I am still not satisfied, I hope that when I improve my knowledge of Pixi I can improve this processing. I will possibly do another 15/20 hours of narrow band.

The shots were taken with a Canon 70-200 F4 first version lens at F:6.3 with a Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 mount and a Player One Ares-C IMX533 camera.
UV/IR exposures of 90/120 and 180 sec. and with SV220 filter at 600 sec.

I'm sorry for my bad English.

There is a big blur when reducing it to 500 KB.

Link to Astrobin:https://www.astrobin.com/padaz5/

If I were to be critical, a little too much saturation for my tastes.  For me, even though M31 is our closest neighbor, it tends to be a little softer, and generally more nebulous at each end, with well-defined, but not "the central focal point" type intensity.  It doesn't present with the same structure of some of the grand design galaxies we enjoy shooting and observing.  Thus, the softness of the image tends to come out more than not.  Not to be discouraged, it IS a great image and one you should be proud of, and rightly so.  40 hours is a ton of data for M31 and you could probably spend another 6 months with that much information and have MANY different images from the same data.  We all see things differently and our end results generally bear out the parts we think are the most dynamic and important.

If you really want to be blown away, stay at this for another 6 months, then look back at what you were doing a year ago and compare.  You'll be amazed at the growth you've accomplished.

A great image of an iconic AP target.  Well done, sir!

#5 danny1976

danny1976

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 29 November 2023 - 10:14 AM

A little bit less saturation and contrast would make it better.

#6 imtl

imtl

Cosmos

• Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 29 November 2023 - 10:18 AM

Try to reprocess your image without the SV220 filter data.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics